Psyke wrote: »
    tumblr_m9f966agiI1rrtgbwo1_1280.png

spooky~

Spooky Joe.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Has someone already made basketball shoes for the demoman ?
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9

spooky~

Haha, dammit, that's awesome! And I did the living version:

poopyjoe_american_hero01.jpg

I still have to TF2ify the textures and fix several weightmapping issues.
  • mat500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Haha, dammit, that's awesome! And I did the living version:

poopyjoe_american_hero01.jpg

I still have to TF2ify the textures and fix several weightmapping issues.

where can we download this ragdoll for gmod ?
  • roninsmastermix
    CAD138EA45E0A124869732B56D170FFA36B18FEF
    556B08CA78B0541BA12B3D1DCEAF8F857C85BBAB

Posted on the workshop. Rate-up if you like them. Thanks.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    mat500 wrote: »
    where can we download this ragdoll for gmod ?

Nowhere yet, I still have some issues with the weightmapping/rigging to address first (eg, look at his arm in the salute pose).
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i'm making my second item, it's a knife for the spy

I don't know if i did the TF2 style correctly
    kR4Co.jpg

Also for the little pumpkin head, the thexture size is rather low so i thought it would be better to modelise it instead of using a normal map for it, i don't know if it's the best way.
    The pumpkin is visible in first person
    vPCdN.jpg
    The weapon is 1500 tris, and the little pumpkin is 488 tris.
    I have one low poly mesh for lod and it's 651 tris.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    But poopy joe is already in-game

You know, the hunched, sloped-browed guy with the space helmet who doesn't speak a lick of human language whose update was the same as the poopy joe update, who they constantly tease "is he even really a man at all?"
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Hello! This is my first time posting, and I was looking to get some help with an item I've been working on (Images provided below).

The model is basically a big pimple for the scout, but the problem I'm having is that on certain areas of the pimple it is transparent. In the VMT I use $translucent "1" where the Alpha layer of the texture is setup to have the outer edge of the model blend into the scout's face through transparency.

The model is fine when $translucent is set to "0". Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.s. Lots of cool items in this thread, it's inspiring :)

Translucency is messed up in a lot of games. There's no way to fix that. Try using "Alphatest 1" but it won't give you the smooth transition. You just need to match the color and phong settings to his skin which it looks like you've already done.
  • PePoPuWitts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for the reply Zipfinator!
  • Mcrich114
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mahmoud wrote: »
    Ok so i'm making my second item, it's a knife for the spy

I don't know if i did the TF2 style correctly
    kR4Co.jpg

Also for the little pumpkin head, the thexture size is rather low so i thought it would be better to modelise it instead of using a normal map for it, i don't know if it's the best way.
    The pumpkin is visible in first person
    vPCdN.jpg
    The weapon is 1500 tris, and the little pumpkin is 488 tris.
    I have one low poly mesh for lod and it's 651 tris.

Its pretty good! I would recolor the handle a wood color so it blends better (but leave the pumpkin orange), but other than that it is really well done! Call it the "Pumpkin carver".:)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    If you're going to make it plastic, might I recommend going for a bakelite look?
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Psyke
    I f**king love it.
    @mahmoud
    I really like the idea you have going. I think you should make the tip of the knife look like it's been sharpened, kind of like a prison shank. I just say this because the tip of pumpkin carving knifes are pretty dull, just sharp enough to poke through the skin of a pumpkin.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how it looks like in game with the shine (needs a few tweaks to make it looks plastic)

0WUPc.jpg
    2OTsd.jpg
    WOgYA.jpg
    Tomorrow i will try the wood texture, i also wonder how it would look like if i did a blu wood texture and red one

for the name i thoiught of "spine carver"
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He has come for you

lilreaper_promo3.jpg

@mahmoud, I like that knife you got there. Very nice halloween item
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    running in too bit of a roadblock, wondering if anyone knows what is going on. everytime i load my hat as a weapon in hlmv it works fine but if i try to load it by itself i get this:
    wellshit.jpg
    cant load it in sfm as it appears to be miles and miles away from the map
  • KrazyKnight711
  • Too Many Bees!
    @Doughnut Is the model zeroed correctly? When you attach it to a player model it doesn't matter where the origin is because it will just match up the bones, so it would look correct when you load it as a weapon or item.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i made the wooden handle, and i used the alpha of the base texture to make the wood less shiny than the pumpkin which is plastic, and the blade which is metal

the texture on the model (i also made the tip more pointy as i had made it dull like CidTheNinja said)
    FUAq5.jpg

in game

J5Xn8.jpg

7ehFT.jpg

5p2ra.jpg

Should i try to make it team colored? Are there weapons that are not team colored?
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

spooky~

I think you can get away with more edge loops on that helmet. It's definitely getting in, though. I'm calling that now.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Is the model zeroed correctly? When you attach it to a player model it doesn't matter where the origin is because it will just match up the bones, so it would look correct when you load it as a weapon or item.

to be honest not sure what you mean, this is what it looks like in blender in relation to the pyro model
    blenderview.jpg

also here is the qc
    $cd "C:\Users\Richard\Desktop\Speedcap"
    $modelname "player\items\pyro\speedcap.mdl"
    $model "Body" "speedcap.smd"
    $lod 6
    {
    replacemodel "speedcap.smd" "speedcap_lod1.smd"
    }
    $lod 12
    {
    replacemodel "speedcap.smd" "speedcap_lod2.smd"
    }
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pyro\"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -4.834 -9.244 -8.177 4.834 0.000 4.148
    $surfaceprop "cloth"
    $illumposition 3.725 0.077 74.025
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "speedcap.smd" {

$mass 21.7
    $inertia 1.00
    $damping 0.00
    $rotdamping 0.00
    }

edit: ok fixed it
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you fixed it explain how - nothing is more frustrating than seeing someone solve a problem you have had without saying how.

In this case the idle animation you were using was broken - you can use the reference .smd as an idle animation.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for posting that, it frustrates when it happens to me so i should have posted the fix. ill have to keep that in mind next time i have a problem i solve

edit:

too many hrs later in sfm and photoshop:
    promonk.jpg
  • PePoPuWitts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is some fantastic work Doughnut Bear, I especially love the flamethrower.
  • Loyen_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me and a bud are up to do a misc item requiring doing new legs, but it seems that the original demoman decompiled has the legs welded to the rest of the model.

The shoes however are in a separate file when decompiled so they are not present with the rest of the model as they are switched out with a few items in game, but this is not the case with the legs so what we have to do is remove the current legs and add our own model and then recompile it to test it in-game, is there any way for us to do this without breaking the model during a recompile?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    So I have hit a road block, and hopefully someone can advise. When i load my shield into the item test map and replace one of the sniper's other back items this happens;

2012-09-01_00001.jpg

but if i replace one of his other weapons it will be displayed as:

2012-09-01_00002.jpg

Here is my current qc file, there are a few bones missing, i just dont know how to get the correct values to enter into the script :poly118:

$upaxis Y
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $modelname "player/items/sniper/0x0161e93e/c_shelly/c_shelly.mdl"

$cdmaterials "\models\player\items\sniper\"
    $cdmaterials ""

$body body "ShellyLod0.smd"

$hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_spine_1" -10.954 -8.030 -10.734 6.092 10.819 3.545
    $hbox 0 "bip_spine_2" -10.419 -6.771 -10.711 7.392 9.938 7.888
    $hbox 0 "bip_spine_3" 0.000 -3.045 -12.185 9.321 6.497 7.209

// Model uses material "models/player/items/sniper/c_shelly.vmt"

$sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "ShellyLod0.smd" {
    $automass
    }

//
    // TODO: FIXME, switchvalue is just LOD * 6
    // 2959 : .\itemtest.cpp
    //

$lod 6
    {
    replacemodel "ShellyLod0.smd" "ShellyLod1.smd"
    }

*edit*

so i guess that applying to a back item that is the expected behavior, so seems to all good for now, just need to add some jiggle bones
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like how the set looks with the last breathe, not that everything doesnt look sexier with the last breathe :p . hazmat headcase clips on the back though due to a thicker neck? goggles also float in front of it because there are no eye socket thingies
    AF7DF4A9BC1A45681959F52ED5282708D7E76F14
    goggles are now compiled as a seperate item from the hat, updated the ao ob it and the helmet to reflect that change. still shares the texture.

now to pack everything up and get em on the workshop. ill do a download for the items in a bit if anyone is interested

@PePoPuWitts Thanks!
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you lot hate it when people just come in here saying "plsvoteformythingy" but I've been showing WIP screenshots of these items and taking crit on board and all that so without further ado

plsvoteformythingies

53C6C072981CA688F0D1394EDD1186DCB83373B089BC22503216728D4E037F797181522A71E035D0
    A526FB795EEFF8D8D9C609D2BB143C7AC78C703B342A140C2CDDE54815BF883C4D085EC2E2F4B523

And of course the collection, don't forget to vote that up:

970E1C5E7155C85261484F5D3D95EE39B59250E5
  • Doughnut Bear
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FrozenCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrozenCake polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, I'm pretty new for 3d modelling and glad to join Polycount community.
    Once I decided to make a toaster for Engineer (maybe you remember "Yeah Toast" video.
    Made this in Blender. Now model has 882 faces. Also it contains heating tubules inside (may be, or I need to remove inner details to reduce face count and use textures with normal maps instead tubules?).
    94da2c5e.png
    P.S.: anyway, sorry for my english
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wonder if i should use smoth groups for each dent on the blade

It looks better, but the vertice count goes from 800 to 1400

Gz4kB.jpg
  • Too Many Bees!
    @ mahmoud If it's only going to be seen in the highest LOD, it'll be worth it. The serrations look a whole lot better.

Unrelated general question: I noticed while testing a shotgun replacement that in game, the shotgun uses the c_ model for the view and a w_ model for third person, but itemtest only replaces the c_ model. (This possibly extends to other original weapons; I haven't tested.)

Is there an easier way to test stock weapon replacements in itemtest than to compile both the c_ model under its proper name and then compile the w_ model so it overwrites the stock weapon? Aside from being another extra step, I frequently forget to rename/delete the w_ model before I play a real game, and I have an ugly half-baked thing on 3 of the classes.
  • Pogo
  • Mcrich114
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mahmoud wrote: »
    Should i try to make it team colored? Are there weapons that are not team colored?
    I love it when people take my advice ;) There are weapons that remain neutral team colored (regular nice for example) but seeing as you made it a reddish wood color it would make sense to give it a blue texture as well. Just use the color swatch as a reference.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • re.wind
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks familiar :)
    chernobyl.jpg

never got around to uploading though so...
  • Stuntrally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I'm working on a coonskin hat for all classes and will post pictures in a bit. I'm not expecting it to come out too great with my poor modeling skills.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcrich114 wrote: »
    I love it when people take my advice ;) There are weapons that remain neutral team colored (regular nice for example) but seeing as you made it a reddish wood color it would make sense to give it a blue texture as well. Just use the color swatch as a reference.
    yes thanks for the advice
    I try to make the handle blue, but it doesn't look that good, i think i'll make this a more neutral color and do like the butterfly knife of the spy which has no team color
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    anyway i could get someone to do me a favor? i'm working on a sniper rifle and want a decompiled version of the standard rifle to use as a base for proportions, to make sure i have my model where it looks correct when in use. i've been tryint to decompile one myself, but the decompiler crashes every time i run it "cannonfodders studiocompiler) if zomeone could decompile the sniper rifle for me in a format i can open in max (even smd is fine) i would be verry apprecitive.

thanks.
  • Mcrich114
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    anyway i could get someone to do me a favor? i'm working on a sniper rifle and want a decompiled version of the standard rifle to use as a base for proportions, to make sure i have my model where it looks correct when in use. i've been tryint to decompile one myself, but the decompiler crashes every time i run it "cannonfodders studiocompiler) if zomeone could decompile the sniper rifle for me in a format i can open in max (even smd is fine) i would be verry apprecitive.

thanks.

did you check in Hlmv first to see if its right? Model names can be misleading, and decopiler only crashes for me if the model cant be seen in HLMV.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    studiocompiler is to compile. You need to decompile !
    mdl decompiler should be placed here steam\steamapps\youraccount\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\

Anyway:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13762052/polycount/tf2_sniperrifle.rar
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made this:
    268x268.resizedimage
    Thumb it up if you like. Or don't. That works too.
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to get dynamic eyes working on an item but having a bit of trouble. Getting the eyes positioned and tracking properly in the model viewer was fairly straight forward, but in-game the irises wander about. It seems as though they are fixed on some distant object, and as the player rotates the irises always track it, even if it means they roll back into the head. Sometimes the eyes are looking up and sometimes they are down, so i don't know if there is some orientation problem with the object or a bone or what. If anyone has attempted something similar and didn't have this problem (or were able to fix it) please fill me in :).

For now I have just "closed" the eyes and I actually liked the result, but I would still like to get dynamic eyes working in-game.

botchedexperiment1.jpg

The eyes work fine in the model viewer...
    openeyes.jpg

...but wack out in game:
    openeyeswander.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot
    Is Demoman becoming a Smoker?
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    I am trying to get dynamic eyes working on an item but having a bit of trouble. Getting the eyes positioned and tracking properly in the model viewer was fairly straight forward, but in-game the irises wander about. It seems as though they are fixed on some distant object, and as the player rotates the irises always track it, even if it means they roll back into the head. Sometimes the eyes are looking up and sometimes they are down, so i don't know if there is some orientation problem with the object or a bone or what. If anyone has attempted something similar and didn't have this problem (or were able to fix it) please fill me in :).

For now I have just "closed" the eyes and I actually liked the result, but I would still like to get dynamic eyes working in-game.

botchedexperiment1.jpg

The eyes work fine in the model viewer...
    openeyes.jpg

...but wack out in game:
    openeyeswander.jpg

Looks great! Are you going to submit it to NOTLU2?
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nightofthelivingupdate
    http://halloween.tf2mods.net/
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Noors wrote: »
    studiocompiler is to compile. You need to decompile !
    mdl decompiler should be placed here steam\steamapps\youraccount\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\

Anyway:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13762052/polycount/tf2_sniperrifle.rar

noors the new studio compiler has the decompiler built in, theres a tab at the top that says decompiler, you click it and it has the complete full cannonfodder decompiler in it.

mcrich
    i'll double check, i've tried every sniperriffle mdl i could find in the 3 weapons folders, v_weps c_weps and... the other letter_weps
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I hope so, he's the guy who made that one awesome Soldier set for the medieval update