Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup polycounter lvl 12
    maniac™ wrote: »
    @Stirrup\\
    Good model, but I think you should pay a little more attention to the texture.

Aye, I'm gonna work on it a bit more since other people are saying the same thing. It's funny, because I did spend hours on painting rusts and brushstrokes, but apparantly too subtle to people to notice.

I've upped the saturation a bit so they become more noticable:
    lasercannonsaturated.th.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the surface treatment is ok, Stirrup, you just need a bit more variety in the colours and contrast of the different components. Compare to Maniac's gun there which while most of the colours don't stray all that far from gunmetal, he's got shades of green, blue and red through different parts and a wide variety of different tones in the greys that both add a lot of interest and help to read the different forms on the gun.
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    @Stirrup\\
    Take a look on this cool guide by Swizzle if you haven't seen it yet, look also at comments, there are some interesting information about brushes.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jackablade: thanks for your comment, I've painted again with some variations of brown/orange rust and some wear. It's still in progress:
    ]processpaintjob1.th.jpg
    processpaintjob2.th.jpg
    this one got too painterly:
    lasttry.th.jpg
    @maniac™: already read that through and through before. I just found out last week one tf2 brush works best for me as a pencil instead of a "blurry" brush.

But I don't know, people just want to see more colors and I've tried all kind of combinations. I might just finish this one with teamyellow wires, call it a day and move on. Another lesson learned. There's more stuff to do than wasting my time on a texture of a weapon that will never get accepted at all...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well, it's a pretty cool gun and the Heavy does need a tesla style weapon toio.

I think maybe making the main 'tank' team color and just some od the alternating metal pieces dark grey, like the pipes, the front of the barrel (not the tip), maybe make the valve team colored too. Would really add a lot of depth to it. And pretty easily.

Of course Valve seems to have a thing with Gordbort, but honestly I think yours fits the TF2 style really well and Gordbort stuff doesn't.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stirrup: that reminds me of my own laser minigun-replacement design that never got anywhere, and is on hold indefinitely (aka dead).
    th_hvy_laser_gun_wip_08.jpg
  • tristanl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See! Soldier Agent smith glassesbeiyad.png

Also can someone help me with getting guns into tf2 using itemtest, if the aforementioned is impossible then what is, Thanks
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My workflow is generally:
    Decompile an existing weapon whose animations I want to use (ie Family Business for a shotgun replacement)
    Build my new weapon to fit correctly with the animations and rig to the bones front he decompiled model
    Export, then compile with GUIStudiomdl

You can compile weapons with itemtest, just feed it your smd files (wouldn't bother with obj) but I would recommend using your own compile methods. Once you rig your model and export the smd, you should have no problem with itemtest.

Once compiled, you can test your item using the itemtest command in console. Go to workshop -> test map and type itemtest in console. Select your item and hit apply.

Related links:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Itemtest
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DzFHOCVP0"]Team Fortress 2 Item Testing - YouTube[/ame]
  • Detweiler
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    fdf9002f.png

Working on some Demoman boots or something.
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm having a little trouble getting my model compiled and working in Source. It keeps showing up in the SDK Model Viewer as a flat square with a default purple/black checkered texture. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, so any help is appreciated. I've checked numerous times to make sure everything is referencing what it's supposed, but of course I'm most likely blind. Here's the .qc file contents if that helps:

$cd "C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Models\TF2 Stuff\Pyro\Burning Passion\Parts"
    $modelname "player\items\pyro\burning_passion.mdl"
    $model "Body" "burning_passion_ref.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pyro\"

// Model uses material "C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Models\TF2 Stuff\Pyro\Burning Passion\Parts\burning_passion_color.vmt"

$sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OMGod\\
    You can't use any path you want, put your vmt and vtf files to:
    Steam\steamapps\Your Account Name\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\player\items\Class (heavy or pyro or which you need)\0x0******(folder which was automatically created by itemtest, your personal workshop ID)\burning_passion
    Set this path in your vmt and qc files, and make sure that when you export the model its assigned material texture has absolutely the same name with your vtf file (extension doesn't matter burning_passion.tga = burning_passion.vtf)
    Your lines should look like this:
    in QC file:
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\heavy\0x012r1c3t\marina\"
    in vmt file:
    "$basetexture" "models/player/items/heavy/0x012r1c3t/marina/marina"
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Well, it's a pretty cool gun and the Heavy does need a tesla style weapon toio.

I think maybe making the main 'tank' team color and just some od the alternating metal pieces dark grey, like the pipes, the front of the barrel (not the tip), maybe make the valve team colored too. Would really add a lot of depth to it. And pretty easily.

Of course Valve seems to have a thing with Gordbort, but honestly I think yours fits the TF2 style really well and Gordbort stuff doesn't.

Last night I've posted a version of a teamcolored tank and handle(that was before your comment) on facepunch but a lot of people there voted "disagree". So I'm going to leave it as grey with the yellow wires, which is the new and final version I've just updated in the workshop. Anyone who thinks it still needs a better texture is welcome to make their own version, because I'm not working on it anymore. (PM me and I'll provide the AO and stuff. If it's truly good, I'll resubmit it again with new shared revenues)
    I still stand by the colors grey though, anything else seems to be distracting to me.

Here's what it looks like with most of your suggestions:
    laserred.th.jpg
    re.wind wrote: »
    @stirrup: that reminds me of my own laser minigun-replacement design that never got anywhere, and is on hold indefinitely (aka dead).
    th_hvy_laser_gun_wip_08.jpg
    Ah, that would have been a nice start. Why didn't you contiue? There is another lasergun in the workshop but it doesn't look anything like yours nor mine.
    Did you know it was the laser device in Goldfinger that inspired me to make it? I kinda like how things were designed in the old Bond movies (mostly done by Ken Adam) and thought it'll be most fitting to TF2. Surprisingly, hardly anyone made that connection first.

There will probably more laser miniguns appearing in the workshop. I don't know if it's coincidence or it has to do with the retro future competition on facepunch, but after I've posted the first wips, some people started to make laser miniguns too. Amusing and fascinating how different the designs are looking.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had another idea for an item pack, so I figured I'd put it out there to see what everyone thought of it
    (note: this pack was inspired by Arudon's shark rifle. I'm not trying to steal his idea or anything, this is just my take on it. just wanted to clear that up)

The Sniper's TERROR OF THE DEEP PACK!!!
    *a Sniper pack with a Shark/oceanic theme
    *since the Great White Shark is a solitary beast, this pack aims to make the Sniper more self-sufficient, thus reducing the asspains that come from a team with 4 F2P/lone wolf Snipers that constantly need to be babysat and rescued from Spies

Hat- The Fishy Facade
    *"Fool your enemies into thinking they're going to be killed by a shark when they're ACTUALLY going to be killed by you!"
    *a shark fin cap for the Sniper. think the cheesy little hats they have at aquarium gift shops

Primary- The Great Barrier Rifle
    *"They're gonna need a smaller head..."
    *more or less a standard rifle for the body. hard wood details. some scratches and bite marks in the sides, maybe have some shark teeth strapped to the side. the scope is a scuba mask attached to an oxygen tank on the side (this comes into play with the proposed stats).
    * + Health slowly replenishes while scoped (I mean SLOWLY. like maybe 2 HP per second)
    * - cannot be crit-boosted in any way (headshots are still 1-hit kill, but no random crits/Kritzkreig/victory crits/etc.)

Secondary- Lil' Brucie
    *an SMG replacement (I feel we're in desparate need of one of those). hard wood and light-colored metal to give it a nauticle feel. more bite marks and scratches and such, uses a shark tooth in place of iron sights.
    * + increased damage output
    * - 50% clip size

Melee- The Great White Shank
    *this one is the most vague as far as looks go at the moment. a big hunting/diving knife. possibly serrated at parts of the blade. there's a shark tooth on a loop through a hole in the bottom of the handle.
    * + each consecutive kill increases melee damage slightly
    * + 5% faster firing speed
    * - 15% less damage to begin with
    * - all random crits are demoted to minicrits

well, there's my idea. comments, concerns, criticisms, suggestions, etc?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manateepromo.png

Dieselpunk-ish laser shotgun for the Retro-Future contest over at Facepunch. Release and workshop link coming soon.
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BanthaFodder: there are some who just started on oceanic stuff over at the facepunch emporium. You might try your luck there too.

& there's one of the many models I still have to finish:
    swordfishdemo.jpg
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OMGod\\
    You can't use any path you want, put your vmt and vtf files to:
    Steam\steamapps\Your Account Name\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\player\items\Class (heavy or pyro or which you need)\0x0******(folder which was automatically created by itemtest, your personal workshop ID)\burning_passion
    Set this path in your vmt and qc files, and make sure that when you export the model its assigned material texture has absolutely the same name with your vtf file (extension doesn't matter burning_passion.tga = burning_passion.vtf)
    Your lines should look like this:
    in QC file:
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\heavy\0x012r1c3t\marina\"
    in vmt file:
    "$basetexture" "models/player/items/heavy/0x012r1c3t/marina/marina"

Yep I did everything as you said and now I'm getting a giant ERROR sign when I try to open the newly compiled files in HLMV after compiling through Itemtest in Source SDK. If I compile through StudioCompiler, I get a flat square w/ purple/black checkers.

The thing I've noticed that's strange is that I can't find the .mdl that's supposed to be created through the compiling process whenever I use Itemtest in Source. Right now I really just want to get the model in-game and see how it looks before I finish any texturing and the sort, so in order to compile through ItemTest I just made a cube skinned to the bip_head as my lod 1. Would this have anything to do with the missing .mdl when I compile through Itemtest? That shouldn't affect StudioCompiler though I think.

Anyway, here's my .qc and .vmt again just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong again: (I know the note is wrong)

$cd "C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Models\TF2 Stuff\Pyro\Burning Passion\Parts"
    $modelname "player\items\pyro\burning_passion.mdl"
    $model "Body" "burning_passion_ref.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\pyro\0x031923c7\burning_passion_color"

// Model uses material "C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Models\TF2 Stuff\Pyro\Burning Passion\Parts\burning_passion_color.vmt"

$sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Player/items/pyro/0x031923c7/burning passion/Burning_Passion_color"
    }

The model_ref.smd uses Burning_Passion_COLOR.tga as its material.

Edit: So apparently HLMV isn't telling me the whole truth. I decided to open up in the item in itemtest in TF2 after I had finished playing for a little bit, and apparently the model does appear in-game at the right spawn and attached to the head like any other misc, but it doesn't have a texture (standard black/purple checkers). There's also a floating square two feet behind the pyro's left shoulder that has the same texture as the model. Does this have anything to do with me only having a diffuse texture at the moment?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup wrote: »

swordfishdemo.jpg

Hell ya Boyoos!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2012012200002p.jpg
    unwrapped arrow, some ao fixin to be done. base colors subject to change
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With all this oceanic talk, I better chuck this in here while I can. I've been in the process of making an Aqua Pack for the Demo Man.

This is my first go at making anything, ever (I did animation at uni before trying any of this modeling shizz), so any crits would be cool.

royzy-sharkhelm-aqua-pack-wip.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Just finished texture, time to do some lods.
    wipminigun02.jpg

fantastic! can you post textures?
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BanthaFodder - I'd like to see those happen, they do sound pretty cool and I'm keen to see more ocean stuff.

I'm gonna quickly sign up to facepunch and see what this other ocean stuff is, since I don't want to accidently step on anyone. I'm part way through modeling a melee weapon atm.
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo\\
    Awesome shotgun! Good luck at the contest!

@OMGod\\
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\pyro\0x031923c7\burning_passi on_color":thumbdown:
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\pyro\0x031923c7\burning_passion":thumbup: (folder name here, not texture)

Also maybe Burning_Passion_COLOR.tga not equal Burning_Passion_color.tga, so try to re-export your ref model with Burning_Passion_color.tga.

And I think that the folder name must have no spaces.
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Player/items/pyro/0x031923c7/burning passion/Burning_Passion_color" :thumbdown:
    }

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Player/items/pyro/0x031923c7/burning_passion/Burning_Passion_color" :thumbup:
    }

Try to use Notepad++ for compiling, here is the link, check at the end of the page
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Notepadpp_VDF_languages#Compiling_QC_files
  • roninsmastermix
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OMGod
    I would also suggest testing your items in Source SDK's modelviewer. It's often much faster to test your items this way as it avoid launching the game every time you compile. (If you're not already doing so)

It might do to check your .smd file (using notepad++) for the texture it uses. Just open it up and look at the texture name instances.

The floating square looks like some extra geometry you've included or not skinned correctly - 3ds max will export anything that's visible when you make your smd.

@maniac
    Thanks, I love the texture work on your minigun.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle

steamworkshop_tf2_retrohand_thumb.jpg

That's a spanish flag you got there haha
  • roninsmastermix
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I finally got it working in Itemtest where the square is gone and the default purple/black checkers are gone, but the material is pure black. So for now I'm going to work with a friend to get the material all finished and then see if anything changes when I go to use the final/near finished material.

@Ronin, awesome items man, I'm always amazed at the quality and quantity of items you manage to create, especially in-theme. How do you go about making parts of your texture glow? I'm inexperienced when it comes to texturing, but I was thinking of making some glowing embers on the ends of rose pedals on a rose I'm making for the pyro, but I don't even know where to begin.

Edit: and now it seems my material is loading correctly, hrm.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup wrote: »
    Ah, that would have been a nice start. Why didn't you contiue? There is another lasergun in the workshop but it doesn't look anything like yours nor mine.
    Did you know it was the laser device in Goldfinger that inspired me to make it? I kinda like how things were designed in the old Bond movies (mostly done by Ken Adam) and thought it'll be most fitting to TF2. Surprisingly, hardly anyone made that connection first.

There will probably more laser miniguns appearing in the workshop. I don't know if it's coincidence or it has to do with the retro future competition on facepunch, but after I've posted the first wips, some people started to make laser miniguns too. Amusing and fascinating how different the designs are looking.

No real reason why i stopped working on it. lack of interest, too much excellent competition (such as ronin's set a few posts up), subtle inferiority complex, real life, etc. Having to export the model from max, then tweak a qc file, then compile (any debugging goes here), then open up modelviewer/tf2 to check the model (f5/reloading map works, meh), random crashes, steam main pipeline crash. The process just got tedious, despite getting the process streamlined down to a dozen clicks or so, but setting it all up for a new model became frustratingly tedious.

I based mine on the gravelpit laser, nuclear powered, and i recall it having the name 'chernobyl checkmate' credit to this thread. May return to it sometime.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty amazing set you've got there Ronin.

You might want to add some internal polys to that helmet though.
  • roninsmastermix
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new sounds for the gun would help immersion a lot
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manateeworkshop.png

It's up now.
    Click to go to the workshop page, mod will be coming shortly
  • tristanl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pogo wrote: »
    My workflow is generally:
    Decompile an existing weapon whose animations I want to use (ie Family Business for a shotgun replacement)
    Build my new weapon to fit correctly with the animations and rig to the bones front he decompiled model
    Export, then compile with GUIStudiomdl

You can compile weapons with itemtest, just feed it your smd files (wouldn't bother with obj) but I would recommend using your own compile methods. Once you rig your model and export the smd, you should have no problem with itemtest.

Once compiled, you can test your item using the itemtest command in console. Go to workshop -> test map and type itemtest in console. Select your item and hit apply.

Related links:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Itemtest
    Team Fortress 2 Item Testing - YouTube
    i work mostly on a mac and the decompiler breaks on my crappy desktop,
    my program CAN however read .FBX files with bones, animation and meshes,
    yes i use SMD's anyway as they support bones,
    i tried itemtest RE:
    tristanl wrote: »
    hi people, i have tried to make a engineer pistol replacement but so far its not in the right place :poly127:
    i'm using c4d r13 3ds max 2011 and the sdk http://steamcommunity.com/id/TristanAntonioLorius/screenshot/630733938209178412/?tab=public from there onwards are the screens your after
    like http://steamcommunity.com/id/TristanAntonioLorius/screenshot/630733938209187073/?tab=public
    i did that using Itemtest before i tried using bones but the Itemtest Compiler and bones didn't even compile properly, no .mdl that kind of thing, Helpful?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if engineer pistol is a weird one. I think it uses a c_model for the view, and a w_model for the world.

Also you say it's a pistol replacement, but in your screenshots you are telling it to replace the wrench? This will load the wrench animations which won't help at all. Replace pistol and see if that makes a difference
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://imgur.com/a/CcNQg

Ignore the bake. This was just a test to see what it looks like. Apart from a little hand clipping, i think it turned out pretty good. Now i just need to add a mechanism so that it makes sense to have the shells fly out of that spot.
  • tristanl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pogo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if engineer pistol is a weird one. I think it uses a c_model for the view, and a w_model for the world.

Also you say it's a pistol replacement, but in your screenshots you are telling it to replace the wrench? This will load the wrench animations which won't help at all. Replace pistol and see if that makes a difference

sorry, i should have told you that it wouldn't show up without the wrench being selected,
    and that was an OBJ file
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tristanl
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18271121/TF2/decompiledpistol.rar

These are the decompiled .smd files for the c_ and w_ pistol models. Due to the way itemtest works, I'm not sure that a pistol will work correctly for both world a view, but hopefully this helps.

Align your model to the decompiled model (c_ for view or w_ for world) and skin your mesh to the bones, and export the bones and your mesh. Then you can use itemtest to import your new .smd files. Obj is okay for hats, but rarely works well for weapons.

Hope this helps
  • tristanl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are named w_pistol_reference.dmx.smd and c_pistol_reference.dmx.smd

edit:

*facepalm*
  • Voidoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid polycounter lvl 7
    6EEC748E635721804B994413674E850233F5DEE1

Major Tom

For the contest. Click for the workshop page.
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @snow\\
    Sure:

Diffuse

marinadiffuse.jpg

marinadiffusewire.jpg

Specular

marinaspec.jpg
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Maniac Holy hell. So much stuff.
  • Gryoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gryoss null
    Mnemo and I made these for the Mod Contest:

The Aetherizer 9000
    1cdcd8e9.png

Orion's Optics
    f3609f8f.png

set1.png
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1157451
    hate to post off-topic, but there's a MegaRaffle at FacePunch (I know a good few of you guys already know about this. figured I'd post it anyway).
    we're trying to get as many people as possible, and there's already a Max's Head and Bill's in the pot.

to make up for this off-topic post, I'll upload some concept art I drew up for a Scout pack.
    tomorrow.
  • Flying_Furry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nouther one of my entries. Click to vote

Trophy.png
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2Scout-SanPack.jpg
    here's the concept art for that Scout pack idea I had.
    forgive the chicken-scratch.
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So right now I'm trying to make an item for the engi that's supposed to look like some sort of window into the engi's chest showing his heart, etc. Is there any way to replace vertices on the engi's chest in order to allow me to sort of hollow out a little bit of a chest cavity to build inside? Or am I going to have to make the item appear to show the inside of his chest, but in a very limited amount of space just above his chest?
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nappy that is so cool. nice work.

Heres a little something ive been working.
    J6oWF.png

im still pretty new to modeling and texturing.
    any feedback would be great.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats Pogo, I tried to craft the luxury apartment twice and ended up with a rambo hair for the heavy and one for the sniper. Lol.

Might have to actually buy an item...
  • Gryoss