Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    what does it do?
    I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a cosmetic item.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011122800007.jpg
    2011122800008.jpg
    2011122800009.jpg
    just about done texture wise. now for lods :(
  • comfy blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ wrote: »
    Hats dont need a specified particle system to work with general unusual effects. I haven't worked with the creation of effects such as smoke from a cigar or a genie lamp, but, as I said, general unusual effects will work automatically, and you'll be able to test them with your hat on test map.
    Thanks for clarifying, just tried out the unusual effects in game. Although I noticed not all the effects are listed in itemtest, like bubbles.

A question for those who have smoke particle effects on your items:
    Is the smoke graphics built into the engine and is it possible to add custom particle effects to an item? i.e. letters flowing out of a hat

I can't find any hat that's in the game that has particle effects built-in so there's nothing I can decompile to take a look at. Unless I missed something.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    94BA3D305BAFD5CBBB16D84541E57051886C0343
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=5920
    now in the workshop please vote :) will update with an alternate style soon
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I have a Engineer pack concept if anyone is interested modelling it. [Way of the West pack]
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    I can't find any hat that's in the game that has particle effects built-in so there's nothing I can decompile to take a look at. Unless I missed something.
    Seems you missed "Lord Cockswain's Novelty Mutton Chops and Pipe" - soldier's misc (model and materals files named drg_hair_beard*). I've just decompiled it and on first look it looks pretty easy, to find out how to add such effects as smoke.
    For some reason, I dont know why, I had to add pipe smoke effect manually, when i test this item on test map, but as i know it always works by default.
    Anyway decompiled SMD file containes additional bone, named "prp_drg_cig", which looks like it is created for smoke, and QC file has a couple interesting lines.
    Hope this will be useful.
  • comfy blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ wrote: »
    Seems you missed "Lord Cockswain's Novelty Mutton Chops and Pipe" - soldier's misc (model and materals files named drg_hair_beard*). I've just decompiled it and on first look it looks pretty easy, to find out how to add such effects as smoke.
    For some reason, I dont know why, I had to add pipe smoke effect manually, when i test this item on test map, but as i know it always works by default.
    Anyway decompiled SMD file containes additional bone, named "prp_drg_cig", which looks like it is created for smoke, and QC file has a couple interesting lines.
    Hope this will be useful.
    Thanks again! This'll definitely be useful.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really great looking stuff here lately!

I started on some sort welding equipment set for the pyro.

MTY7u.jpg
    n451R.jpg

Edit: shaped the welder to look a bit less awkward.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, SVDL. I'm really liking the apron and oxy-torch.

Won't you have some problems with the tanks clipping through the ground with the scale they're at currently?
  • Flying_Furry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the item so it can actually reflect light like a real mirror. Should I do anything else to it?

spy_mirrorbig.png
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flying_Furry - can you post an in-game screenshot? Looks like some of the details are a bit small

@Svdl - Nice stuff!

I'll get back to working on TF2 items very soon, I'm currently experimenting with map making, but I'll upload at least 1 item to the workshop before Dec 31th...

The map I'm working on is called Kott_Smissmas and is currently on the first stage, which means I'm just trying to get the size / layout / items placement done. It's not even alpha state. No details yet, well... just trees/rocks because they'll be important for visibility/paths to the control point...

Spawn room is supposed to be kind of a toy factory, and since it's a koth map, you need to capture the central point, which will be a big xmas tree, that's why I called it kott, not koth.

I know this is a bit late for xmas, but I want to finish the project anyway. And I still need to learn how to do a lot of stuff in Hammer and will need to create some custom props...

I'll be testing the map for *just a few minutes* tonight (around 7pm CST) on a public server in case anyone would like to join :P. Any feedback/comment is appreciated. (I think the rotation will be nucleus/viaduct/smissmas/lolcano)

Koth_Smissmass_01.jpg
    Koth_Smissmass_02.jpg
    Koth_Smissmass_05.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Awesomeboss welding equipment SVDL. Just needs a melee weapon or perhaps a flare gun and you'll have quite a nice set.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Nice stuff, SVDL. I'm really liking the apron and oxy-torch.

Won't you have some problems with the tanks clipping through the ground with the scale they're at currently?

Glad you guys like it.
    There's no clipping unless the pyro crouches, and even then it's hardly noticiable.
    Then again I've scaled them down a bit since last picture.
    b1QYz.jpg

I'm still not decided on the overall shape of the welder.
    Here's another one.

5movj.jpg
  • Flying_Furry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JZeeba Here's the ingame pic you wanted.

Mirror_previewed.png
  • comfy blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JZeeba Here's the ingame pic you wanted.

-image-
    At first glance I couldn't tell that this was a mirror. It doesn't really reflect anything from the world and it's mostly white which makes it seem like the detail wasn't finished. The model itself also looks a bit flat.

As for the detail itself, it's too small, it blurs and blends at a short distance making it look muddled. Even then you may want to cut back a bit to stay within the confines of the TF2 style which is mostly comprised of square brush strokes. What is the texture size? There's noticeable pixelation. If texture size isn't the problem you may want to reorganize your UV islands.
  • Flying_Furry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ comfy blanket I have no idea what you mean by saying the model is "flat". The part whare the Spy holdes the mirror is round, not flat at all. Same goas for the decorations. As for the reflection, it's the most it can do. If you ever played l4d you would notice that mirrors reflect the world, but the reflections are all pixeled so thare's nothing wrong with it. The tiny glovy circle in the mirror is the lamp btw so I guess it reflected it quiet well. As for the detail I will keep everything as it is. :)
  • Gingerkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ comfy blanket I have no idea what you mean by saying the model is "flat". The part whare the Spy holdes the mirror is round, not flat at all. Same goas for the decorations. As for the reflection, it's the most it can do. If you ever played l4d you would notice that mirrors reflect the world, but the reflections are all pixeled so thare's nothing wrong with it. The tiny glovy circle in the mirror is the lamp btw so I guess it reflected it quiet well. As for the detail I will keep everything as it is. :)

I think Comfy is referring to if you looked at the model from the side, it's very thin, it looks more like a card cut out of a mirror than a physical item, maybe you could have more of a circular bulge at the back, slightly extrude the back so that it has a very shallow curve, just to give it more depth. :)

I also agree with what Comfy said about the detail, its extremely pixelated, which isn't seen in other TF2 weapons, they have more of a smooth, solid colour scheme, try increasing the texture size maybe? Or use a smoother brush, you can still keep the details, but making it smoother would be a big improvement.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Currently hating myself for the way this texture is coming out:

wip_frychester03.jpg

Cannister on top is definitely getting redone. Each time I look at the pic, it gets worse, heh.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm pretty sure my fellow "comfy" means flat as in boring. The whole item is a mess. The texture is rough and pixelated, and the model is indeed very thin, and not very interesting. The mirror concept is a hard sell already, so you'll need an excellent execution to make it look good.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @SVDL, the second position of the tanks looks less awkward to me.
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I visit this thread I am amazed and depressed at how good it all is... and then remember why I stopped looking the last time I was here. Congratulations to the festive item contributors! Anyway, I come bearing a question for someone who doesn't speak/read english well and figured somebody here might be able to help.

Basically it's regarding the Sandvich and how to display the "bite" model. They have made two models as a replacement, one with a bite mark and one without. Is there something "special" that needs to be in the .qc file to display it as a sub-object model/body group so that it works correctly in-game/SDK? (Does Valve even use bite models now?)

I know they'd be thankful for any help. They'd ask themselves but trying to make sense of a webpage in another language is understandably daunting.

@Svdl: I like either version really but in the last picture it looks like the Pyro is holding the canisters near the top, making it "back heavy". Thinking in terms of how I'd attempt to carry something like that I'd probably try to hold it as close to the middle of the canisters as possible to equal the amount of weight either side. I suck at explaining things but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. Actually now that I've typed this I think I do prefer the second version.
  • comfy blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dewzie wrote: »
    Basically it's regarding the Sandvich and how to display the "bite" model. They have made two models as a replacement, one with a bite mark and one without. Is there something "special" that needs to be in the .qc file to display it as a sub-object model/body group so that it works correctly in-game/SDK? (Does Valve even use bite models now?)
    I believe it has something to do with bodygroups. Take a look at the Sandvich's QC right here:
    $modelname "weapons/c_models/c_sandwich/c_sandwich.mdl"
    $model "body" "c_sandwich_reference.dmx.smd"
    $lod 6
     {
      replacemodel "c_sandwich_reference.dmx" "lod1_c_sandwich_reference.dmx"
    }
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "c_sandwich_reference.dmx" "lod2_c_sandwich_reference.dmx"
    }
    $model "bites" "whole_bodygroup.dmx.smd"
    $lod 6
     {
      replacemodel "whole_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_whole_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "whole_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_whole_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $model "bites" "bite_bodygroup.dmx.smd"
    $lod 6
     {
      replacemodel "bite_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_bite_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "bite_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_bite_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -5.364  -1.842  -2.345  9.345  4.075  5.341
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/c_items/c_sandwich.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 1.498 1.990 1.117
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 1.0
        $inertia 1.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 0.00
    }

It also seems the that there are 3 models, possibly to save memory overhead when it switches to the bitten model. Not required I think. What's important to note here is the $model "bites" command. That may be what you need, though I'm no QC expert. Give it a shot.
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breaking Bad inspired corpse mask

89CB389029CF4E32141D921458DE083FCF3BBA2E
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Detweiler: I like it. Make it slightly uneven though, right now it looks like if the explosion had used a ruler.
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good to me, thanks for the tip.
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thumbnail.png

Thanks psyke :3

Click to vote!
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small project, feel free to vote.

BMaqZ.png
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0959bc4f.png
    Censored face, no name yet.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *helpful stuff*

Thanks very much. I'll pass the info on.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    So what happened with the reindeer skull hat?

It was all over the christmas announcement, I thought for sure that was like the grand prize for getting all achieves or something, but it hasn't shown up in game?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Don't look at it! Haven't you ever read Snow Crash?!
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup polycounter lvl 12
    Baddcog wrote: »
    So what happened with the reindeer skull hat?

It was all over the christmas announcement, I thought for sure that was like the grand prize for getting all achieves or something, but it hasn't shown up in game?

Funny to read your comment when I'm visiting this thread again, after a long time. Simply put: I don't know what happened. Valve did comment on the reindeer skull though. More people were contacted, even asked for some modifications, but their items weren't included in the end.

There were so many contributions that had great potential. The Action Hale for example (made by Ducksink) was used in the comic but was not released in the update. I have no idea what changed their minds.

I predict we'll see items like the Action Hale released someday, but since Old Nick has been killed off in the Christmas comic, the chances of a reindeer skull hat are very slim.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Oops very sorry, pasted the wrong thing into the wrong thread
  • Flying_Furry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of a set I like to call The Narcis Agent.

seigneur_schmancy.png
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EArkham - some smoothing groups could use some tweaking, texture progress is looking good

@comfy blanket - interesting info... will be needing that soon myself

@Evil_Knevil, @Constructor - nice work

@Pogo - "Spywitness" :P

@Stirrup - Didn't know more people got asked for modifications and their work wasn't included in the end. My guess is that it was because Valve didn't have that much time to test all other items. It is a shame really, I can think of at least 4 or 5 more items than I thought were going in...
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The [Redacted] Man
    %5BRedacted%5D.png

Click to vote/comment on the workshop
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo: Have you thought about making that pixelation without the balaclava? Might look good as it would be a maskless spy without revealing the face.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hadn't thought of doing so, no. I might try it when I revisit - I want to try animating the texture.
  • Seba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of you may already be aware of this, but TF2Maps.net have begun a new contest. Although it's a mapping contest, many people usually want custom props made for their maps, which is never a bad thing. And if the map for which you made props wins, you're gonna be famous like Rexy for his work in Manor :D If you decide to help out, make a thread in the Request forum and say what you can do - you're bound to get requests in no time.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seba wrote: »
    Some of you may already be aware of this, but TF2Maps.net have begun a new contest. Although it's a mapping contest, many people usually want custom props made for their maps, which is never a bad thing. And if the map for which you made props wins, you're gonna be famous like Rexy for his work in Manor :D If you decide to help out, make a thread in the Request forum and say what you can do - you're bound to get requests in no time.

Thanks for the info!. I'm in for this :)

Edit: Also, submitted this one

884011A264B5DA18259190E2621CC9F19A3DE88D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=5977
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Consturctor
    I love this so much. this NEEDS to get in.

@Evil_Knevil
    PIPEWEED!
  • comfy blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to preview particles on items on itemtest? Seems that whatever item I load with particles don't show up.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to preview particles on items on itemtest? Seems that whatever item I load with particles don't show up.

If you mean custom particles, I don't know. I've never tried; I've had a lot of problems getting custom particles to work in HL2 mods in general. Have to modify the particles_manifest.txt and I don't know if that will work for TF2.

But if you mean existing particles, yes, you can do that in itemtest. You have to make sure you have an $attachment defined for the particle in the QC. For example:

Weapons (specifically the flamethrower):
    $attachment muzzle "weapon_bone" 0.64 2.35 58.05 rotate -82 -90

Spy's cigarette:
    $attachment "cig_smoke" "prp_cig" 0.00 -2.13 0.00 rotate 0 0 0

Should be able to get the correct attachment from HLMV.

But if you were asking about custom particles and you already knew all of this, then maybe the attachment stuff will help someone else. :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I've had particles load on my hats no problem.

On a Bill's hat though, they never show up.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the roman shield...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR-bzFpAaMk"][TF2 Contribute] - Soldier - Roman Shield - YouTube[/ame]

Comments/suggestions welcome
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    @svdl - The first looks best standing still or walking, the second one looks best when running. I see the pyro run more often then standing still or walking, so I'd go with number 2.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally submitted this to the workshop:

pyro_duality_ft01.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=6022

Yes, I know it's not as flashy as other flamethrowers. That was a conscious design choice.

I tried out V9's suggestion to point the sights inward, but it made the side view less distinctive, and that was the only reason for putting on sights in the first place.

Back to work on the other items for the set. :)