• Sparkwire
  • roninsmastermix
    23k5k47.jpg
    some progress before i go to bed.
  • KevinLongtime
  • Crasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Sparkwire ever sleep? Anyways, great job guys. I can't wait to see which of these get in-game!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think so. I bet he raided a military lab for sleep-blocking pills.
  • Buzzbrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad polycounter lvl 5
    idk then why would my texture appear in source sdk and not in TF2. here is my vmt

"VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/weapons/c_items/hammer/hammer"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "20"
    "$phongboost" "3"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models/lightwarps/weapon_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges""[0.25 0.5 1.0]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "8"
    "$rimlightboost" "1"

"$glowcolor" "1"

// Cloaking
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "ModelGlowColor"
    {
    "resultVar" "$glowcolor"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$glowcolor"
    "resultVar" "$selfillumtint"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$glowcolor"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }
    }
    }
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've got the same problem with the Handicap. At this point I'm just about ready to wash my hand of the whole thing.
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup polycounter lvl 12
    promonickpack.jpg
    Pack is complete now! Textures of the hat and cloak by Blaholtzen, the cloak rig by Sparkwire. I hope you like them!
    Ol' Rudy
    Koala Cloak
    Yuletider
    Rosehut
  • roninsmastermix
    6442045753_8bbd3a9e08_b.jpg
    More progress. Think it can be an entry to the holiday event? Comments and crits are welcome.
  • Evil_Knevil
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LZqBc.png

Looks more like paint than styles
  • Pogo
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hah, that's a unique pack you got there Pogo.
  • Buzzbrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad polycounter lvl 5
    Here is everything for my problem where the item has a texture in sdk but not TF2

The QC is
    $cd "C:\Users\LeDonne Family\Documents\TF2 Work\Fruit Cake Hammer"
    $modelname "/weapons/c_models/hammer/hammer.mdl"
    $model "Body" "hammer.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\weapons\c_items\hammer"
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition -0.019 0.3 80.034
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00

VMT is

"VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/weapons/c_items/hammer/hammer"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "20"
    "$phongboost" "3"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models/lightwarps/weapon_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges""[0.25 0.5 1.0]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "8"
    "$rimlightboost" "1"

"$glowcolor" "1"

// Cloaking
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "ModelGlowColor"
    {
    "resultVar" "$glowcolor"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$glowcolor"
    "resultVar" "$selfillumtint"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$glowcolor"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }
    }
    }

VMT And VTF location is
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\buzzbrad\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\weapons\c_items\hammer
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ronin that's really nice couple items, I'm guessing they're inspired by 'Blondie' Clint Eastwood?

Though I think the hat could resemble the original headgear much less. Perhaps widening the crown?. The toga patteern could probably get away with being a little whiter.
  • roninsmastermix
    6443781179_14f27b17f5_b.jpg
    Click to vote pls. Thanks. Still open for improvement.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    I just finished my knife for the spy. It's a candy cane sharpened ( or licked? ) into a fine point.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=5067

Critiques?
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ronins: Inverted paintability would be nice, or would it be too bright?
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windex I'd continue with the other "toy" ideas. They're all great and would make a nice multiple class item.

Stirrup I love you.

Roninsmastermix I'd immediately think of A Fistful Of Dollars rather than festive/holiday, but it's brilliant. The new pattern is much better. A random thought about differentiating the hat from the default one, I can see the Sniper using a piece of metal to create a bulletproof hat in the same style as the film if you're looking to change it.
  • roninsmastermix
    The hat will be worked on later. I agree it needs to be more unique and i'll work on that later.

The poncho would be too colorful if i inverted the style. I know too that the item is predominantly a reference to fistful of dollar movies but it wouldn't hurt to try and enter it as a winter wear too.
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Polycount! For a while now I've browsed your forums but never posted anything.
    I recently submitted my TF2 contribution, I figured I would share my creation seeing as I got help from here on the texture.

Introducing the Deck Them Alls:
    zJqla.jpg

Feedback is highly welcome. :)
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    3C93A57FC36F05770B2FED762C40C119F2D97F9D

Frost Bite

FDC28C666BEAB70221A61F3E4A371670961D9A55

The Winter Coolness

Both submitted within ten minutes of the deadline.

B94E8D9B12009801DAD668C588FDA2D346D6CC67

Scotsman's Snowcap
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    jpegglases.jpg

The Dusk Dueler.

Provisional name and picture. If someone could help me to render a good picture of the engie with the goggles I would appreciate it. Also you can suggest names since this one sucks haha.

This is planned for the christmas update and submitted right before the deadline!
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, managed to get about 80% of texturing done. Submitted to Steam Workshop 1 minute before deadline. Gonna update it to fully completed ASAP. Also, the oven is my most succesful piece of texture ever.

Xmas_bombcart_512_big.jpg

EDIT: I got ninja'd by two people. Also I think I'm the last to submit a Christmas item. *yay* You guys thought you cut it close? Well, think again.

EDIT2: Forgot the Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=5092
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera wrote: »
    jpegglases.jpg

The Dusk Dueler.

Provisional name and picture. If someone could help me to render a good picture of the engie with the goggles I would appreciate it. Also you can suggest names since this one sucks haha.

This is planned for the christmas update and submitted right before the deadline!

Why not just use HLMV?
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    I tried. We were just running out of time because the deadline and I had to come up with something quick. Anyway I'll try HLMV again later, today is been the first time I use it, seems pretty simple, let's hope I get to know how to make a decent render =P
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mad Mike - love how it looks, makes me want to learn map making and put that cart in XD

@Sparkwire - nice stuff, seems like you really don't ever sleep :P

@Kahrel - nice model, color of the lights seems a bit odd to me though
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    @Kahrel - nice model, color of the lights seems a bit odd to me though

Thanks JZeeba! I agree with you, they do look a little off... if I can figure out how to make them glow, I'll re-do their texturing. Thanks!
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel wrote: »
    Thanks JZeeba! I agree with you, they do look a little off... if I can figure out how to make them glow, I'll re-do their texturing. Thanks!

Okay, so let's say this is our main texture loaded in Photoshop:

ExqGB.png

So we want all the red parts on this to be white for our alpha channel, so that when the VMT sees that we have $selfillum, it'll make those white parts glow:

5uIYR.png

So we come over here to our channel tab:

DCWAO.png

Create a new channel in that tab, and name it "Alpha," and ensure it's filled with all black. Now, having your areas selected from before, fill in those sections while the "Alpha" channel is selected, using white, like this:

dsn1r.png

Then save it as a .TGA, and then import it into VTFEdit to be saved as a VTF. Now that that's done, open up your VMT in Notepad++ or VTFEdit, and make sure the following is somewhere in it:

"$selfillum" "1"

Then save that, and compile like normal. If done correctly, your item should be glowing in those white places!
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reposting because the texture is better.

Vote for it or don't!

45055EF122C11C82F168D1FEC8873DCE5C2F33BD
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel wrote: »

Making them glow would be good, but after thinking about it for a bit, what's off for me is that you're using red and blu at the same time. Maybe try different combinations for red/blu versions. But maybe that's just me... good model anyway :)

Or maybe if you assign the lights another material pointing to the same vtf and make that material a bit translucent or glow or just play with the vmt settings...
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    Then save that, and compile like normal. If done correctly, your item should be glowing in those white places!

Yep, worked like a charm! Thanks so much D-D-D-Demon!!!
    The only problem after doing that is that the rest of my model appears really dark, even in light. Here is an example(linked so the ugly doesn't ruin other peoples browsing experiences!)

Also, I know the testmap is bugged, but I don't know if I should be worried about half the hand disappearing or not.

JZeeba wrote:
    Making them glow would be good, but after thinking about it for a bit, what's off for me is that you're using red and blu at the same time. Maybe try different combinations for red/blu versions.

I love that idea!!! I had thought about doing that at the beginning of this project... but forgot about it after stumbling forever getting it to work in game.
    ANYWAY, I just did JUST that. I created 3 textures:
    1. Normal texture(Green, Red, and Blue lights)
    2. Red texture(Green, Red, Orange-Red)
    3. Blu texture(Green, Blue, Light Blue)
    I also added frosting to the tips of the bulbs(see bad SS above.) I would love to show you the other color schemes... but I have no clue how.

I don't know how to change the texture of the loaded weapon on the heavy. When I load the Deck Them Alls into the model viewer they appear very very far away from the camera and I have to zoom in several times to see them. And when I change the skin it doesn't change the texture. So maybe you guys can help me.

Or, if you're tired of reading about and talking to the new guy and want me to shut up, I understand and will.

But first, thanks for the feedback and help!
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't actually change the skin of a weapon after it's been loaded on a player model (as far as my knowledge goes at least.) You could just overwrite the RED team skin with the BLU one to view them in HLMV, then switch them back for in-game purposes. Also, as far as the rest of your skin looking dark, does it do that in HLMV? If not, then most likely your illumposition is off.
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    You can't actually change the skin of a weapon after it's been loaded on a player model (as far as my knowledge goes at least.) You could just overwrite the RED team skin with the BLU one to view them in HLMV, then switch them back for in-game purposes. Also, as far as the rest of your skin looking dark, does it do that in HLMV? If not, then most likely your illumposition is off.

It's not dark in the HLMV, no. And I didn't know you couldn't change the skin of a weapon in HLMV after being loaded onto a character. Good to know!
    Also, great suggestion. I'll load up the different textures and get a new render out for you guys. Thanks again for your help Demon.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No prob! If anything, just copy the illumposition from the Eviction Notice.
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    Update for the "Deck Them Alls!"
    DZHAr.jpg

Improved the textures, made the bulbs illuminate, improved placement of the model, and added team colors!

Once again, thanks for the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Non-Christmas item! Fitting this to the scouts head sucked because of his pokey bits of hair that kept clipping through :(

Hw2zd.png

Edit: Updated, fixed the seams, I had them done weirdly in the texture.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kahrel - I like the ones with team colors, thumbs up =)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Reposting because the texture is better.

Vote for it or don't!

45055EF122C11C82F168D1FEC8873DCE5C2F33BD

You forgot the creeper style.
  • MexicanBastard
    Hi Guys!

I'd like to show off what I submitted to the Workshop!
    set.jpg

Any comments and/or votes are appreciated!
    Link to the set on SteamWorkshop

More pictures and links to mods are on this thread

Thank you!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Kahrel,

I think the issue with the hands is you used the boxing gloves as a base? I had that same issue when I made my brass knuckles. (I think they swapped hands that were scrunched or something to hide them from clipping with gloves-not sure)
    Instead use the Eviction notice as a base.

Also, just weight the model to the finger bones and you won't get weird clipping/strange issues where they look good in 3rd but not 1st person. And with taunts like the halloween one where his hands open your model will follow.
  • Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    Baddcog wrote:
    Instead use the Eviction notice as a base.
    I actually did use the Eviction Notice as a base. So I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to weight it to the fingers but the only option I have is the hand(bip_hand_R/L)
    JZeeba wrote:
    @Kahrel - I like the ones with team colors, thumbs up =)
    Thanks! :)
    I saw this last night browsing along with the rest of your set. Outstanding work, gave it good ratings all around!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't use the hands base, use heavy_hands_bodygroup.dmx.smd

You have to decompile the heavy model to get it. It has all the hand bones in it.
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone help me out? What's the deal with LoD's and are they required?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bopoe,

Yes, at least 1 LOD is required. It should be approx half as many tris as the regular model.
    You just export both models (both need rigged to bone, or to be in the same position if you use the new tools) and in the qc put an lod stage.
    // LOD 1 
    $lod 9
    {
         replacemodel "c_brass_knuckle_sand.smd" "c_brass_knuckle_sand_low.smd"
    }

• Kahrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kahrel polycounter lvl 7
    Whoa, 1 LOD is required?? ....

Ahem, I knew that.
    *runs quickly back to blender*
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @baddcog

Thanks pal, so just put that into the Qc? replacing smd names of course right? And you don't need a new VTF as well? Thanks again.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Guys!

Any comments and/or votes are appreciated!
    Link to the set on SteamWorkshop

More pictures and links to mods are on this thread

Thank you!

I mentioned this on Workshop, but I think the guitar case rocket launcher might look better if you balanced the part where the guitar body curves inwards on his shoulder. It's mean you could have a neck which wasn't quite so disproportionately long.
    you know, like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmwUTjAYes"]Antonio Banderas-Desperado-"Let's play" - YouTube[/ame]
    Regardless, it's a nice looking item set.
  • Gunmanrex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That shot gun idea by doughnut bear can you make it fire deer slugs for more damage output put slow fire rate tell me if you like it or not
  • Watcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ixqND42BDAQGj.png
    Some texturing progress on the axe blade. Still some normals issues I'm sorting out, such as on the edges on the blade. I'd really like some critiques on the texture, I'm not quite used to the style for tf2.

I'm also having a curious problem with itemtest, and I'm not sure if other people have been getting it. When I run it through, I have a specmap set in the alpha channel of my diffuse, and it looks rather nice on the blade while viewing in HLMV. The problem is, the normal map doesn't apply. And it only works when I compile the axe again when the setting for "color alpha type" is set to nothing. Is there a way to use the specmap in the Diffuse and the Normal map without having to edit the vmt (I can edit the vmt, I'm just not used to the coding for it and I just like to see how the textures look quickly in the model viewer without having to tweak it)?
    Gunmanrex wrote: »
    That shot gun idea by doughnut bear can you make it fire deer slugs for more damage output put slow fire rate tell me if you like it or not
    No. Model designers like us have absolutely no say in stats. It's all up to Valve. It's their choice if they want to make our items a reskin of an existing weapon, or if they want to give our weapons custom stats.