Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Marcus Aseth

That thing is looking good, what's that polycount like ATM?
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, i'm trying to get my first jiggleboned model to show up properly on a character model in Model Viewer.

When I rig my mesh to the character's bone only in 3DS Max (as I do for any other misc/hat, here it's bip_spine_3 for what it's worth), the model shows up fine so apparently there's no problem with it.

peHj8.png

But as soon as I rig a part of the mesh to another bone, then it gets completely wonky. Here, I've rigged part of the right wing to another bone.

jZfeQ.png

Which gets me a little bit puzzled. How am I supposed to make my model jiggle if I can't rig it to more than one bone ? :B

I don't understand, because I decompiled Max's severed head, and it seems to be doing the same thing : part of the mesh is rigged to bip_head and the rest to 4 bones per ears.

Any idea what i'm doing wrong ?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    lol actually that is the highpoly model,I do it because I like to do it,& I can even bake a good AO from that,but I heard that when I submit the weapon to the Valve,I have to fit all the stuff in 2 mb,so not sure if I can bake a normal map,too bad because I am sure that with the normal on my low poly I can make it 100% looks like the HP :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Contre, I think you forgot to link the jiggle bone to the bip_spine_3. I forgot to do that on my clown hat and the hair pieces got stack end to end... the bones got connected together, lol. Wings look good though.

@Kazzy, just load the map
    map itemtest from console, then type
    itemtest
    and you can load up sniper and any of his items.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, here's the thing, all of you guys keep talking about a 2mb upload limit.
    If worse comes to worse, you can submit it 2 times and just say that its part 1/2, or 2/2...

Anyway, I talked to the guys at Valve when I was up there, and they said it was useless to send .vmt's, and vtfs, *and* psd's. Only send your .psd. Also, I wouldn't recommend sending the .tga files, because sometimes Valve needs to edit things and it would just be easier if they had the photoshop file.
    Reason why you shouldn't send the vmts and vtfs, is because Valve just generates them there anyway, and its much more simple for them to start by scratch instead of organizing everything.

Now, for models. Don't send smd files unless you are either rigging the model on your own, or you made custom animations. For only the model, just send a .obj.

Bottom line, don't make all those extra files, Valve just ends up deleting them and making their own.

When I submit stuff, I just zip up my psd with everything needed in it (specmaps, normal maps (if needed) etc...)
    Same with the model, just zip it up even if it is only one model file. Saves space.

@Marcus Aseth, your gun looks cool, and you can keep going with the highpoly stuff. But personally I wouldn't recommend starting with HP for a TF2 weapon, but that is your choice.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benhenry
    Thanks a lot for those very precise guidelines, the contribute site is a bit lacking in that regard :)
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Contre, I think you forgot to link the jiggle bone to the bip_spine_3. I forgot to do that on my clown hat and the hair pieces got stack end to end... the bones got connected together, lol. Wings look good though.

Right on ! THANK YOU SO MUCH it works now ! :D

I should have posted here before spending 2 hours trying various things like I know what I'm doing :B
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Anyway, I talked to the guys at Valve when I was up there, and they said it was useless to send .vmt's, and vtfs, *and* psd's. Only send your .psd. Also, I wouldn't recommend sending the .tga files, because sometimes Valve needs to edit things and it would just be easier if they had the photoshop file.
    Reason why you shouldn't send the vmts and vtfs, is because Valve just generates them there anyway, and its much more simple for them to start by scratch instead of organizing everything.

If you've made a .vmt file you should probably send that in if you want it to be used, especially if it includes paint or other values specifically made for the item.
    From what I checked, Valve has always used the .vmt files I've included in the submissions.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are finished our Spring-Cleaning Kit for Pyro :)
    Waiting for your feedbacks :)
    w_9d84c325.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EXpert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    w_9d84c325.jpg

Such a great set! Looks very interesting :thumbup:
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Yikes, that picture is HUGE. 2500 x 8500?

At least scale it down a little so it doesn't kill everyone's browser.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a 10MB+ png right there isn't it? :-\

edit: Oh wait, no its *only* 6.7Mb. still. Overkill.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9jA1clP474"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9jA1clP474[/ame]

could anyone help me with my jigglebones.

$jigglebone "jiggle_1" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }

$jigglebone "jiggle_2" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }

$jigglebone "jiggle_3" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    BenHenry I think your preview image needs to be a little bigger.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that, updated it. Just so used to super high res stuff.

link to image: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/benhenry96/Engineer-Stuff/promo_electrician3.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice pack Zalak, Seems like the tip of the mop really needs a few jiggle bones though.

Brainstormed a heavy halloween kit... I call it the Orccessories.
    orccessories.jpg

I gotta find the heavy head vert weights though. The chin is big enough to hide the mouth, but the eyebows are buggy. I'd like to just include a whole new head, but I can't find the files.
    I've decompiled player heavy, and it has body and hand groups.

Under player there is also a HWM folder, and it has heavy stuff, but cannonfodders decompiler wont open the models. It contains some .pre files named emotion, etc.. So i'm thinking those are the heads.

Anyone know how to open those?

Ah, I found a blog that talks about Maya face morphs for tf2 heads. :(

Is there a way to add that info to a model with Max?
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog, thx, its already have jigglebones :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9jA1clP474

could anyone help me with my jigglebones.

$jigglebone "jiggle_1" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }

$jigglebone "jiggle_2" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }

$jigglebone "jiggle_3" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 60
    yaw_damping 6
    pitch_stiffness 60
    pitch_damping 1
    tip_mass 500
    length 100
    angle_constraint 37
    }
    }

What do you need help with?

Too swingy? You got tons of mass at the tips, take that down to 30 and try it out
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just submitted my first ever model = cigarettes replacing the Sniper's chest pocket bullets. I did what Ben Henry said and just sent a .obj and a .psd.

thumbnailoq.jpg
  • Crimson-gaia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I made this Engi hat a few weeks ago and thought I'd post it here to get some feedback.

With textures
    bightideatextures.png

With textures and wires
    brightideawires.png

The texture could probably use some work to make it look a little less plain.

*Edit*
    Screenshot of the Engi wearing the hat.
    brightideamdv.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Crimson, the model could use 'beefed up' a bit. The strap probably and the buckle definitely should be 3d and have some depth.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    10_hours_of_work_by_facepunchsexyrobot-d4810ec.png

I'll just leave this here.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Edit*
    Screenshot of the Engi wearing the hat.
    brightideamdv.png

I agree, it should be more beefy. As it is it's almost unnoticeable, tf2 item are always a bit exagerrated.

Also, check "normal map" in the Model Viewer, this way you will get the exact in-game look :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think it's about done. Need to weight the neck to neck bone still..

orc.jpg

Main issue is minor clipping in the face during taunts. When he says Pow then chin just barely clips the bottom. And the cheeks can bulge through just a hair in some taunts when he yells.And below his eyes can be a tad weird if he opens them up a lot. (I'm noticing a bit of weirdness in the top of the nose right now, guess I need to adjust that some too)

But all in all pretty minor, and I've got the tex aligned well so I don't think it's any worse than the weird lighting the cadavers can have some times. And you really have to look hard to see it.

Other wise it looks like redoing the entire head, re-rigging it, reposing the 30 some morph targets, then getting Valve to accept and do a head swap. So at this point I think it's best to call it done, cross fingers and hope they accept it as is.
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think it's about done. Need to weight the neck to neck bone still..

orc.jpg

Main issue is minor clipping in the face during taunts. When he says Pow then chin just barely clips the bottom. And the cheeks can bulge through just a hair in some taunts when he yells.And below his eyes can be a tad weird if he opens them up a lot. (I'm noticing a bit of weirdness in the top of the nose right now, guess I need to adjust that some too)

But all in all pretty minor, and I've got the tex aligned well so I don't think it's any worse than the weird lighting the cadavers can have some times. And you really have to look hard to see it.

Other wise it looks like redoing the entire head, re-rigging it, reposing the 30 some morph targets, then getting Valve to accept and do a head swap. So at this point I think it's best to call it done, cross fingers and hope they accept it as is.

I would sell a baby to have that in-game.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGod wrote: »
    I would sell a baby to have that in-game.

Please don't. XD
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think it might be a bit too obviously referential to ever make it into TF2 officially. Either way, I'd do some more work on that pauldron texture. Rework the UV first - you're getting some nasty stretching. Once that's sorted, I'd work in some more contrast into both the painted and metal parts. Probably I'd go for a darker tone for the base metal colour of the pauldron which will make the spikes, ring and rivet stand out a bit better.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    What do you need help with?

Too swingy? You got tons of mass at the tips, take that down to 30 and try it out

im trying to make the tail bounce up when you walk also its clipping in the quiver is it possible to fix that with left_constraint or something like that. thanks!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    55158928.jpg
    54350184.jpg
    63488779.jpg

started texturing, lots more to go
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dougnhut I like it. Though you do realize you're making a wooden flamethrower, right ? x)

@pear
    I don't have much experience with jigglebones yet (only started yesterday) but from what I've tested so far if you want to see how it looks when you walk, you won't be able to see it accurately in the model viewer. The viewer is fine to just test and see if the compilation went right, but unless you're in game you won't know precisely how it moves in game.

Here's what I do :
    1/ load up my item in game in the itemtest map.
    2/ type in console "sv_cheats 1", then "thirdperson".
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my Halloween hat:
    I'm planing on making the screen illuminated and also add a animated material to it, and this is an all-class item. This is my first model with multiple textures, I'm not sure on how to go about assigning this, any one have tips or tuts?
    Thanks,
    C&C
    6089224470_fda6c43f26_b.jpg
  • bigbird42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    w_9d84c325.jpg

I know you can't control the stats, but an alt-fire air suck would be awesome, maybe it could vacuum up stickies and pull people towards you. Otherwise great set!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OMGod, thanks :D

@Jackablade. Thanks for the crits. It's actually UV'ed pretty good with checkerboard, I think the issue is that I really need to break down and make a larger square brush. Mine's too small and I was kind of sloppy so it left a lot of 'stripes'.

You're right about the metal, I'll try and mix it up and differentiate it more.

It is similar to some other games orc stuff, and I did look at some refs before I started just to get ideas, but nothings a blatant rip-off imo. And no more than other items that have made it into game really.

Everyone knows the Team Captian is Bison's Hat from Street Fighter, The Brain Slug is from Futurama, etc..
    @pear,

The bone only rotates around the Y plane. So you need to position the bone carefully for up down movement.

I'd use 2 bones in a row.The first one real close to head for up and down and the second not much further out for side to side.

And I think the limits are only in degrees (ie: 15 is 7 degrees both ways) so maybe start the tail off to one side more. It'll still sway a full amount but will stay away from the sheath more.
    You can limit pitch and yaw, but again, I think it just clamps down the range for both directions.
    @Doughnut, Dig the Bourbon burner

@Rownish

You just need to group the skins in the qc file:
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    {
    "heavy_head_red" "heavy_orc"
    }
    {
    "heavy_head_blue" "heavy_orc_blu"
    }

}
    Soi every texture use for red in the first brackets, then each tex for blu that swaps in the next brackets. I do think this includes non-swappers too. Just list it in both (say 'screen glow'). If you don't list it in a sckin it becaomes a skin of it's own, and will swap with the first listed tex (in this case heavy_head_red)
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog - nice skin blending with that item
    @Ducksink - lol, I want one!
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rownish

You just need to group the skins in the qc file:
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    {
    "heavy_head_red" "heavy_orc"
    }
    {
    "heavy_head_blue" "heavy_orc_blu"
    }

}
    Soi every texture use for red in the first brackets, then each tex for blu that swaps in the next brackets. I do think this includes non-swappers too. Just list it in both (say 'screen glow'). If you don't list it in a sckin it becaomes a skin of it's own, and will swap with the first listed tex (in this case heavy_head_red)
    Thanks for the info though I'm getting a weird compiling error saying: Error models has no sequences when I uncomment (//) $texturegroup skinfamilies and it's commands.
    Thanks,
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are probably missing a bracket, that seperates the anim sequence from the tex families.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wk3rk2.png

What the fuck am I doing.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot

Looks like a the communist manifesto, yes a misc. item for the heavy. Attach it to a bullet bone or make it like the pocket medic.
    Just some thoughts, happy discovery :)
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    mazozo.jpg

I'm currently texturing this. Model by Habboi, design by me. It will be team coloured.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job with the Cleaning Kit Zalakzik. Really like how that cap fits the Pyro. Lots of other great stuff here as well.

Now back to me. Pretty much done with modeling, just a bit of optimization to do. Clipping is rather minor, shouldn't be very noticeable during regular gameplay. Only major issue was left thumb in first person. That's why that gauge's there. Covers it up neatly.

2011-08-28_00001.jpg

2011-08-28_00002.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Contrebasse: thanks, dont worry just the tank and handle are wooden so catastrophic meltdown will only occur if fire reaches the thank :P
    @Baddcog: thanks
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot you are making a coat for the sniper
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are probably missing a bracket, that seperates the anim sequence from the tex families.

Nope, it's only when I include the blu skin, and it's not adding me second skin.
    Also is there a way to make a animated texture have a mask?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot you are making a coat for the sniper

Am I really now.
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous polycounter lvl 7
    6tcgd.png

Made a thing. Spy's hat is the color of his suit, not sure if want.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heavy wants to be smarter so he eats books? Genius.