Offline / Send Message
    Working on "Pest slaughter" for engi
    Plz guys tell to the newbie, how to reduce this shine!!! :(
    pest_slaughter-1.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Your VMT probably says to use envtint, you need to remove it. Try removing lines at a time and seeing what they do to better understand it.
  • Bl4ckie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Zalakzik - You can add a specular map to control the shine. Make an alpha map in your texture and add $basemapalphaphongmask 1 to your .vmt.
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last time you'll see this, I promise.

uQOmf.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Was looking at DoTA concept stuff and saw this, thought it would be good for the persian demo knight

demo_persian_prik.jpg
    256 tex and only about 560 tris. (cream spirit here)
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn it sucks when you don't know how to model, but when you have loads of ideas for weapons/hats/misc.
  • Nzdjh
  • KajiVena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    newflamencohat.jpg
    You should go for the one in the fourth picture. The one in the third looks too weird and unfitting, imo.

Also, love that hat.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    V6th wrote: »
    Damn it sucks when you don't know how to texture, but when you have loads of ideas for weapons/hats/misc.

I can lend a hand for some texturing if you would like.
  • roninsmastermix
    spitfiresample1_by_rave8259-d47an5r.jpg
    Long overdue screen shot. Really early shade and no texture. Comments always welcome.
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish wrote: »
    I can lend a hand for some texturing if you would like.

Damn it, I was supposed to write model. I even thought don't write texture. But that's what happened.

Trying to learn to model though. I'll ask for help with textures when I've learned to model (when hell freezers).

@ronin Are those final textures? Could be a little darker (for the red and brown) IMO.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    lFFuYA.png
    KMakJd.png

Uhg, I feel really down right now for no good reason, so I made a shitty wrench to pass time.
  • Nzdjh
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix
    Surprisingly cool despite not being one of Pyro's homemade variety, I could definitely see this in game (and I want to)
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IN a similiar vein to my raygun I've started to make a robot claw... thing

claww.jpg
    I've also discovered that Engineer still has his glove under there and that I may have to fix that

In game, compared to here the Engineer no longer possesses his right arm
    This is good though I may have to adjust it in First and third person views.

In third person I bound the bones wrong and the Engineer looks like he's dragging the claw behind him like a heavy sword
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    lFFuYA.png
    KMakJd.png

Uhg, I feel really down right now for no good reason, so I made a shitty wrench to pass time.

Looks like mine :(
    1.jpg
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro wrote: »
    Some shots of my Deus Ex items, that was one tough month!

More shots, development and concepts on my blog :)http://larolaro.blogspot.com

6058702493_c30d5ca117_o.png
    6059251292_f5cc0abd7f_o.jpg

6058704665_ec04ae3abe_o.png
    6059249788_6390474c61_o.jpg

6059250846_a0db7be575_o.png
    6058703479_def65347cb_o.jpg

6059250276_31d8c43a24_o.jpg
    @larolaro The contribution is epic in all the ways :D
    @haters who think the sets are out of the tf2 style... IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY. These are PROMO items, they have to look more like the originals, and please don't tell me that the Machina doesn't look cartoony. These are not pure tf2, and they should stay that way.
    P.S. @larolaro, did you make the "extra" models of Deus Specs for Pyro, Engi and Demo? Cause they look pretty great...
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    newflamencohat.jpg

I like the third one because it reminds me of a skeleton in The Corpse Bride, but I think the problem most people have with it is that it completely gives another face to the pyro.
    I think with other masks or hats covering his head, you can still see that it's the pyro wearing something. Here the mask might take over a bit too much, compared to the other pics, I really feel like it's another character in the third one.

@ronin Looks cool, but having this big bottle sticking out is quite... unusual I guess. Maybe you should make it a bit smaller ? I don't know.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dizz3h,

I doubt anyone questions whether or not the items are done in TF2's art style. Laralaro is very good at it. It's thick shapes, simple textures...
    Most people don't like the promo stuff because it doesn't match the 'timeframe/theme' if anything.
    I'm not arguing that either way, just pointing out that matching the art 'style' is not the beef.

But no reason for everyone to keep quoting a post with 20 pics in it, it takes 2 minutes to scroll through...We have all seen it already, like 5 times.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Long overdue screen shot. Really early shade and no texture. Comments always welcome.

The model looks fine, but as a pyro player I do NOT want more items that stick out when I'm trying to hide for an ambush. The existing flamethrowers already clip through walls; I really don't want to use a shotgun that does the same.

Move the cannister somewhere other than the front and shorten the barrels. Looks like the barrel needs to be shortened anyway due to the hand not looking lined up correctly.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    If I recall, that's actually a flamethrower replacement made to look like a shotgun.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Damn it, I was supposed to write model. I even thought don't write texture. But that's what happened.

Trying to learn to model though. I'll ask for help with textures when I've learned to model (when hell freezers).

@ronin Are those final textures? Could be a little darker (for the red and brown) IMO.

Mmm, well if you need assistance in either I have some spare time.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn it sucks when you don't know how to model, but when you have loads of ideas for weapons/hats/misc.

Just learn, man. There are lots of very good tuts out there, and all of the required software is free.

I taught myself how to model from scratch in January, having had no experience in digital art of any kind. I'm already able to put stuff together like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27092744/paintgunfinalfinal.jpg. No where near as good as the other experienced modelers here, but still pretty good for a noobie.

I recommend learning with Blender using Helljumper's tutorial at http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536668.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been progressing well on my claw however the animation seems bugged in thirdperson

I've bound the model to "arm_attach_R" like in the original but it seems to hang down weird
    It appears to be stuck to his elbow and then goes down instead
    any advice?

It looks about like this
    clawtp.jpg
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Newbie here. I love TF2 and if I see what kind of stuff you got into the game (as well as a lot that didn't), I thought I'd try it to, because how awesome would it be to get Dominated by a weapon you created?

Right, so basically, I'm getting the hang of modelling, although it's still bloody hard, and I made this technically very simple weapon:

pyrofs.png

Problem is, however, I am HORRIBLE at texturing, somehow I can't get things white due to ambient occlusion and stuff, but I'll sure I'll learn.

I love the stuff all of you made, specially the packs, and Valve better have a good reason all of them (well, most of them) are not in it.

Good luck getting all your stuff in! (Stuff, I love that word)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Concepting a nailgun replacement for the engie's pistol:

nailgunconcept.jpg

Two questions for you guys: should I go with the regular red/blue color scheme or the public works yellow used by engineers? And which seems better, profile-wise - the shorter/stubbier variant (lower left) or the other one (the rest)?
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    Concepting a nailgun replacement for the engie's pistol:

nailgun_concept.jpg

Two questions for you guys: should I go with the regular red/blue color scheme or the public works yellow used by engineers? And which seems better, profile-wise - the shorter/stubbier variant (lower left) or the other one (the rest)?

I like the longer version better, otherwise the handle seems to be attached to the ejector and that looks kinda weird. Also, I wouldn't go with yellow, I don't really think that works with weapons.

I like the idea, but how is it going to reload?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    3v5kxx.png

I will never finish this.
  • randomteddybear
    The Scrub wrote: »
    I've been progressing well on my claw however the animation seems bugged in thirdperson

I've bound the model to "arm_attach_R" like in the original but it seems to hang down weird
    It appears to be stuck to his elbow and then goes down instead
    any advice?

It looks about like this
    clawtp.jpg

If I'm not mistaken most c_models have a weapon_bone that's parented to c_weapon_bone. The x and y axis's on the c_arms are different from the player model, you're going to have to take this into consideration when making new items. I'd suggest opening the item you want to replace in model viewer(you'll be looking for c_dex_arm) and go to the bones tab, to see how they're done.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this and figured it was relevant to this thread:

b1SiZ.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know if they removed the need to input your steam id a second time on the submission page? i went to submit and hit the button and it brought me to the "Your submission was processed successfully." screen without asking me again for my steam id >_>
  • Nzdjh
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18

Dollars to donuts no one on this forum knew how to model and texture before they learned how.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9

PM me those ideas and I'll model them.
  • Xenu's Paradox

Could you move the tank up to the top and have it lie parallel to the barrel? Sort of nestle it between the iron sight and the folded stock. And shorten the barrel, like others have said, it's going to stick out too much and make it harder to ambush.

My $.02
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Kazzy wrote: »
    I like the longer version better, otherwise the handle seems to be attached to the ejector and that looks kinda weird. Also, I wouldn't go with yellow, I don't really think that works with weapons.

I like the idea, but how is it going to reload?

Standard nailguns have a magazine that loads up in the front there, inside the foregrip.
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know if they removed the need to input your steam id a second time on the submission page? i went to submit and hit the button and it brought me to the "Your submission was processed successfully." screen without asking me again for my steam id >_>

last time i submitted (less than a month ago) it only asked me for my id once at the beginning. seems like they changed it back to asking one time.
  • Seba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s53TD.png

Not sure why I made this. Yell at yyler. Also need to fix bones, firing animation looks like this

7hlH7.png
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 3DS Max:

how do you unwrap UVW several objects all into one EDIT UVW map window?

it won't let me select more than one object when applying the Unwrap UVW modifier.

or do i have to have multiple unwraps for one model?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can attach them all and then uv the bunch, or uv each then attach.

I prefer to uv each, move them off the center, then uv the next... when all the islands are indifferent areas I attach them, the uv edit again.
  • Nzdjh
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    You can attach them all and then uv the bunch, or uv each then attach.

I prefer to uv each, move them off the center, then uv the next... when all the islands are indifferent areas I attach them, the uv edit again.

when you say 'move them off the center'...

you mean make a separate uv file for each separate object?
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Dashtoronto: Yes, you unwrap each object separately and after you're done, attach all the objects into one and UV it so all the islands are properly positioned within the square area. I also recommend that you get the TexTools plugin. It's free and makes unwrapping a lot easier.

Now, in a recent spark of genius I decided to make an engineer pack based around powertools and airtools and whatnot. The primary weapon is going to be a jackhammer-inspired nail rifle or something along those lines. I made a couple silhouettes to see what can be done. Luckily, since the Deus-Ex shotgun isn't pumped between shots I decided to go that way. #2 has two air tanks placed sideways and #7 is a variant made with the standard pump animation in mind. My personal favourites are #4 & #6.

Jackhammer_sil1.png
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    @ Dashtoronto: Yes, you unwrap each object separately and after you're done, attach all the objects into one and UV it so all the islands are properly positioned within the square area. I also recommend that you get the TexTools plugin. It's free and makes unwrapping a lot easier.

Now, in a recent spark of genius I decided to make an engineer pack based around powertools and airtools and whatnot. The primary weapon is going to be a jackhammer-inspired nail rifle or something along those lines. I made a couple silhouettes to see what can be done. Luckily, since the Deus-Ex shotgun isn't pumped between shots I decided to go that way. #2 has two air tanks placed sideways and #7 is a variant made with the standard pump animation in mind. My personal favourites are #4 & #6.

Jackhammer_sil1.png

How do you make those pictures?
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He... draws 'em? You know, with his computer.

I personally really like 5, 6 and 7, with 6 being my favourite.
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7 is a real beauty. Coincidence, I am planning to make a Clockwork based item pack for the Engie. Got some good names, although I don't think Valve will go with Cogsucker.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Mike wrote: »

Jackhammer_sil1.png

6 or 7 definately. 5, 4 and 2 Will clip on the reload animation and 3 looks too much like a lazer rifle than a shotgun. However I think it would give it a more distinct silhoutte if you keep the trigger guard from 1-3 though.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on pyro flamethrower "Huddahoover"
    What can you say about the realization?
    Huddahoover.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,this is my first weapon for the game,I was thinking to do a grenade launcher for the demoman,so i blocked out some cylinder then start modeling piece,I am doing it HP for the normal map,cause we could use the normal map for this stuff right? :)

so,my idea was that this grenade launcher has only 3 very powerful shells at time,but it have a pump/compressor (hope I have use the right words) on the bottom that allow to the 3 barrels to charge 3 shells at the same time & shoot them creating a barrage of fire/wall of death :)

unled1ivl.png
    003zp.png