Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    selentic wrote: »
    I agree with Zipfinator too, I too believe pink flaming heavy hair is the pinnacle of the team fortress 2 art style so far.

Did I say that? I said most of the hats, unpainted, fit into the game well. These new Rift items along with certain items released in previous updates are very much out of place.

If you feel the need to continue this then create a thread in General Discussion. This is a thread to show off items you've made, not to start arguments about the choices of Valve.

Also it's not very smart to ridicule items made by members of our community like that. That "heavy hair" you mocked was made by our very own Progg.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    sorry for the spam but i wanted to post some better images.

Capture-103.png

Capture2-4.png
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Willy-wilson, that is a really cool hat, I have to be honest, I would love to be wearing that hat on my pyro :)
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I'm really not.

Nope, sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2#Final_design

http://bdillman.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/tf2-precisionism/

Sorry, but, "oh this existed then", does not make it fit in the art style, it detracts from it.
    TF2_2011_3.jpg
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I didn't even try to analyze the articles you posted.

rolleyes.gif
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Also it's not very smart to ridicule items made by members of our community like that. That "heavy hair" you mocked was made by our very own Progg.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a cardinal offense or something to not like something someone on this site made.
    NeoDement wrote: »
    *pic*

Truly accurate.

Another of my favourites~

07vs10.jpg

Oh and just because I'm required to post something here ~

GE%20Composite.png
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice pic Neo. what, no paint? :poly142:

anyway, mace is mapped and laid down base
    mace2q.jpg
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a cardinal offense or something to not like something someone on this site made.

Truly accurate.

Another of my favourites~

07vs10.jpg

Oh and just because I'm required to post something here ~

GE%20Composite.png
    If you don't like community made items what are you even doing on this thread? Just leave if your only going to stir up shit. When I pointed out the art style change I was only making an observation about how the art style rule may have changed, I didn't want this.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    TF2 always had a hint of sillyness, at the start it was pretty much 1 weird weapon or hat at a time, and now its just about every other weapon.
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah tf2's art style went downhill a bit, sadly with a good push from the community (Hard counter, dapper topper, shiv, the spy polypack, the heavy polypack, too many to list). I really wish the contributors would go back to their items, pull up some valve texture/model references and give it another go after some studying. I know I've been guilty of submitting terribly done items in the past, so I can understand them getting into the game like that, but now the contributors should really make them a bit more proper. If the game was released today, and the new items were the launch items, people would probably laugh this game away as nothing would appear to match a coherent theme, and some items would be too realistic/too cartoony in comparison to the environments/base character models (Why does that soldier have a dr seuss hat instead of a helmet on?).
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dope! i just noticed theres no smoothing groups :/ btw how do i make this paintable and add the other teams color currently both are blue
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To give it Red and Blue skins put these lines in your QC, replacing model with the name of your textures and putting _red in the first one if you need to.

$texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "model.vmt" }
    { "model_blue.vmt" }
    }

To make your hat paintable, put a white and black color mask in your Diffuse's alpha channel and put these lines in your .vmt files.

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1"
    "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "1" // between 0-1 determines how much blended by tinting vs. replacing the color
    "$colortint_base" "{248 252 243}" // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.
    "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

Then you can use .vmt commands to make your hat painted any color using the commands and color codes shown in this image, courtesy of Nzdjh.

vmt.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress ->
    paincakebeater.jpg

not an ingame image so lighting is a bit screwy

This is the Paincake beater
    If it's slightly un-TF2y just tell me but I think I got the art style down
    thinking of submitting soon

the ingame image looks slightly more awesome
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    The Scrub wrote: »
    Some progress ->
    paincakebeater.jpg

not an ingame image so lighting is a bit screwy

This is the Paincake beater
    If it's slightly un-TF2y just tell me but I think I got the art style down
    thinking of submitting soon

the ingame image looks slightly more awesome

the desgine is way to busy looking really hard to make it what it is especially from a distance.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    the desgine is way to busy looking really hard to make it what it is especially from a distance.

OK thanks :D

Do you have tips as to how to make it less "busy"

possibly remove some of the barbed wire? because from the way I look at it that's the only thing that seems "busy"
  • majortomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone just make a giant rotary whisk for the Pyro?
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks zip!

Capture-104.png

couldn't resist this one.

cp_granary0007.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Jman wrote: »
    Yeah tf2's art style went downhill a bit, sadly with a good push from the community (Hard counter, dapper topper, shiv, the spy polypack, the heavy polypack, too many to list).

whoa whoa... are you saying I've helped the tf2 art style go downhill with the with the dapper topper? if so, screw you. Valve redid my texture so it would work with paint and whatever reasons they had. And i still think the texture they used look just fine. People still play tf2 like crazy so all this bullshit crying of art style is ridiculous. If you don't like how the game looks, go play something else. Without the contribution of new items I doubt the game would still have a huge following and would have tapered off in popularity a while ago.

Also, don't fill this thread full of bullshit post complaining of unrelated crap. Either post shit, give crits on stuff posted or go suck on an egg. :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    whoa whoa... are you saying I've helped the tf2 art style go downhill with the with the dapper topper? if so, screw you. Valve redid my texture so it would work with paint and whatever reasons they had. And i still think the texture they used look just fine. People still play tf2 like crazy so all this bullshit crying of art style is ridiculous. If you don't like how the game looks, go play something else. Without the contribution of new items I doubt the game would still have a huge following and would have tapered off in popularity a while ago.

Also, don't fill this thread full of bullshit post complaining of unrelated crap. Either post shit, give crits on stuff posted or go suck on an egg. :)

Uncle Sam hat would have worked better

otherwise just give it to the Scout

Cat with a Bat
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10

Sir, I'm all for adding things to TF2 but in my opinion, you have helped with that. your original texture wasn't as bad as what it currently is but it still didn't fit too well :/ I would have a heap of respect for you if you requested valve make your hat unpaintable as the creator of the hotrod did.

On topic, that mace looks far too clean man :/ looks more oblivion than TF2
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    thanks zip!

Capture-104.png

cp_granary0007.jpg

Love it, I'd really like to use that hat awesome job
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well i agree that some of the new models (even valve's ones) aren't top quality or fitting character theme as they were in the first releases, even if the ideas are good/fun. You can tell just by looking the vtf. I don't really like the fact they have abandonned view model either.
    But that's valve's choice, don't blame custom items creators. We aren't accountable to you or the community.
    (and if you're not happy, make better contributions)
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, great post, well thought out, not putting insults over making valid points, you know, everything a brilliant argument should be!
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this thread: Successful trolls are successful.

Also, before a person blames any contributor for 'ruining the artstyle' don't forget that it's VALVE that chooses which items are accepted.

And to any contributors who have had their work insulted, please learn to have a thicker skin about it. I'm well aware that my Whoopee Cap has often been considered 'the second worst hat in the game' or 'hideously ugly', but the fact is, Valve accepted it, and that's what really matters. By responding to the insults, especially in an angry manner, you're only giving the trolls fuel to insult you further.

Finally, I think discussion of this topic has already gotten out of hand on this thread, and any comments attempting to continue said discussion should be ignored, no matter how much you agree or object to them.

That's my opinion, anyway.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Willy,

Dig the bucket and I think it fits pyro great, but how 'bout using the handle as a chin strap?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    ^ hell yeah, with a bit of dynamic
    i suspect clipping isue, but tf2 is full of it.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    :), not mad or taking it too personal, just if your're going to bitch or whine about others stuff remember you're on a game art forum and not the steam forums. Don't like something, complain to them, they approve the stuff. :P
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks zip!

cp_granary0007.jpg

Lol. Nice job on that one :)
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't really mean what I said as an insult, I moreso meant the item makes very little sense among other items. It doesn't really matter of course as I still find the game fun, I just have a lot of respect for valve's original art direction and the ridiculous amount of effort put into the stock items, and I'd love it if a few select contributors had that same respect. A good example of an item in this thread that adds to the character's theme without being flashy is that pyro bucket. The game could have been released with that item as the pyro's original headgear and it would have actually made sense and not drawn people's eyes to it as much as a gigantic, random indian headdress (plus its colors actually match the colors on the actual character).
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much sense as that argument makes, there isn't much of a point in posting it, if you're responding to someone whose first thought is to call you a troll because you have an opinion that doesn't reflect his.

I agree though, that's probably one of the select few acceptable hats I've seen.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, the TF2 wikipedia article doesn't mention Miyazaki, even though he's mentioned specifically in Valve's own documentation of TF2's art style (section 4.3).

I find this business of "item X breaks the art style" both amusing and irritating, since I've seen gaudy hats bashed for being too gaudy, subtle hats bashed for being too subtle, minimalistic models bashed for being too simple, etc., it's endless. In the end, people simply have different tastes, and you'll never please everyone.

Anyway, have some rifle colour tests, once nailed I'll get on with texturing and this thing might actually get finished:

tf2_sniper_rifle_colour_tests_by_elbagast-d38sazr.png

I prefer the lighter wood tones and am leaning towards something between 2 and 10 at the moment. Red wire is out, I tried it before re-checking if it's used outside of team textures (it isn't). Strong scope colours look a bit weird too.

Any comments welcome.

Also, random find: I bet you all thought the sniper rifle's scope was an exaggeration...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 4 and 3 the best. I'm basing that mostly off of the scope color. I'm not sure which wood is best since I'm not sure how you're going to be texturing. Are you planning to do some sort of wood grain or something more solid like the original Sniper's wood?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not quite decided yet, though definitely not a full-on grain effect as that's a royal pain to make look convincing on a shape like this. I rather like how Swizzle did the Loch-n-Load's wood so maybe something like that - largely solid but with a suggestion of grain on the larger areas.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to get the paintable hat thing working but its not working :/

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/Player/items/pyro/pale_red"
    "$bumpmap" "models\effects\flat_normal" 

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "20"
    "$phongboost" "5"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp" 
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[.25 .5 1]"

"$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "4"
    "$rimlightboost" "2" 
    } 

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1" 
    "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "1" // between 0-1 determines how much blended by tinting vs. replacing the color
    "$colortint_base" "{179 76 79}" // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.
    "$colortint_tmp" "[179 76 79]"

//"$color2" "{179 76 79}"  //Stock Red
    //"$color2" "{94 124 170}"  //Stock Blue
    //"$color2" "{223 150 122}"  //Dark Salmon Injustice
    //"$color2" "{207 115 54}"  //Mann Co. Orange

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you make your color map and put it in your diffuse? Also just in case you didn't know, when you want to see one of those colors in the model viewer take out the // in front of it. That tells it to ignore whatever is in front of it on that line.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast, I think the majority of your colors look too saturated. I think 8 and 3 are the best scope color choices. They seem to fit into the current trend of sniper colors the most accurately. As wood shades go, I like 3, 4, and 10 the best. Although I do think that they could use a tweak in the color like being mixed with the sandman's color.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Off to contribute this...
    Moons_shine.png

And elbgast, I like number four, just tone down the purple to a more grayish purple.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small_bread%20helmet%20guy.jpg

Saw this today and immediately thought of this thread.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still nothing :/ and yes i have the mask in my alpha
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still nothing :/ and yes i have the mask in my alpha

Hmm... When you're in model viewer looking at the hat, go to File and click Unload Weapon. Sometimes it has a copy of the hat in the same exact position and you can't see updates to the skins and such. If that doesn't fix it then you could dropbox me the files through Steam or PM and I can take a look at it.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    the_piercing_stare.jpg
    The pierc(e)ing stare.
    (just a very silly, silly idea :P )
  • SimplyChristina
    the_piercing_stare.jpg
    The pierc(e)ing stare.
    (just a very silly, silly idea :P )

I laughed so hard , when I saw that ...

Did you make that ? If yes , could you make one with Sean Connery ...
  • SimplyChristina
    I'm trying to get my weapon into Source SDK ... and I hear the only way to do that is to do a qc file .

I did , but when I go to compile it ( using GUIStudioMDL ) , I get this :

ERROR: unknown command "medieval drumstick.smd"
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick/medieval drumstick.mdl'
    WARNING: Leaking 1 element

So I got back to check my qc file , which is :
    $modelname "Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick/medieval drumstick.mdl"
    $staticprop
    $body medieval drumstick "medieval drumstick.smd"
    $collisionmodel "medieval drumstick_hull.smd" {
    $mass 0.1

}
    $surfaceprop "mud"
    $cdmaterials "Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick"
    $sequence idle "medieval drumstick" loop fps 30

Could someone check those out and tell me what's wrong in them ?
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    This is the first concept of a pack i an idea a while ago

The Patriotic Paratrooper (Reference to rocket jumping)

29x6tsg.jpg

Second will be

Buffbanner replacement

World-War-II-Troop-Type-Parachutes-Allies-U.S.,-Britain,-Russia.jpg

With deployable parachute, for obvious reasons it won't work as i intended for example extra extra distance and decreased fall damage while jumping, but i can make the parachute pop out at least

fig15.jpg

Not sure about the weapon yet
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    submitted, thanks zip. Heres the submission thumbnail i used.

Psycho's Safety Violation (thanks khthon for the name ideas)

pale.png
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Did you work out the painting?
    I'm trying to get my weapon into Source SDK ... and I hear the only way to do that is to do a qc file .

I did , but when I go to compile it ( using GUIStudioMDL ) , I get this :

ERROR: unknown command "medieval drumstick.smd"
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick/medieval drumstick.mdl'
    WARNING: Leaking 1 element

So I got back to check my qc file , which is :
    $modelname "Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick/medieval drumstick.mdl"
    $staticprop
    $body medieval drumstick "medieval drumstick.smd"
    $collisionmodel "medieval drumstick_hull.smd" {
    $mass 0.1

}
    $surfaceprop "mud"
    $cdmaterials "Teamfortress2/medieval drumstick"
    $sequence idle "medieval drumstick" loop fps 30

Could someone check those out and tell me what's wrong in them ?

I think it means it can't find your model (medieval drumstick.mdl) do you have these two lines in your .qc?

$cd "C:\Users\me\catapult"
    $model "Body" "catapult_reference.smd"

so here it would be compiling catapult_reference.smd in C:\Users\me\catapult to the Body bodygroup in the .mdl

Here's an update on my catapult - just started on the textures (before my graphics card died :/ ), not happy with the wood yet, going to need to put a lot more color variation, different splotches on it to match the solid wood seen in game better (well not happy with anything but the base colors yet for that matter)

catback.jpg

catfront.jpg

EDIT - @LVG, that chin strap is going to clip with the facial animations. Also I think it looks too much like the existing helmet... maybe try to do netting with cloth strips folded in like seen on this poster: http://www.popbunker.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bandofbrothers.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hello im lolwut pear the boxing heavy and im a new polycounter. im working on a sniper hat.please tell me how i can improve it

?action=view&current=sniperfurhat.jpgsniperfurhat.jpg
    ?action=view&current=sniperfurhat.jpg
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up guys, I haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking, so much good stuff still coming through here

I finally decided to do something about my PugPro's textures so that they work correctly with paint. The hat was made pre-paint system so the materials weren't really designed to be tinted, and Valve just threw a quick-fix at the situation by essentially covering the original texture over with painted colors. If you look at the painted examples on the TF2 wiki you can see how muddy the colors became

Reworked the colors so that they'd tint properly, tweaked the diffuse alpha, and re-added $nocull 1 so that the chinstraps can be seen from both sides (for some reason they got rid of it in the original .vmt)

I think the result looks pretty good, all that's left is to whip up some dx8.0 versions now that Valve seems to be concerned with that sort of thing :)

pugpropaint.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ looks much better :)
  • Nzdjh