Home General Discussion

Interview Advice

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Well, make it to manager in 2 months and show em who's boss!
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet! Thanks for the helpful replies. Wasn't really sure where the truth was on that one. Gonna keep sending em'....
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Haha yeah I know, although my pride is a little hurt :/ Considering I'm probably going to be the oldest person working there...lol

Don't worry, I know what you mean.
    Not to crush your spirit, but I'm still working at EB Games (Gamestop). I, like you, graduated hoping to get a job right away... and didn't, so picked up a temporary job at EB. Well, a year and a half later, I'm still there, but this was do partly to graduating at a bad time, and partly not keeping up on adding to my portfolio.

If you get this job, just remember, so long as you don't WANT to stay there, use that emotion to fuel working on new stuff. And keep applying to places. Don't become too comfortable there, and don't give up on your dream :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Sorry to hear you didn't get the gig. That's a real bummer. Like everyone has said, take it as a positive learning experience and focus on making art that blows your older stuff out of the water.

I know that working somewhere else just to pay the bills isn't what you want to do right now... believe me, I really feel your pain there.... keep your hours as minimal as possible to scrape by. This will add to the suckage, but the payoff for the free time to work on your folio will be worth its weight in gold once you land a gig.. which also may not be for a while given the state of layoffs and such... things will turn around though... patience is a virtue :) Keep on keepin' on!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    sounds like a good temporary job to me (i never got hired at eb... had to settle for kmart while going through uni :poly127:).

I hear menial jobs are the best in that you can get more enthused about getting home and doing art... plus take a sketchbook with you or install maya or somthing on the computer at work and do some art stuff instead of working ^^

shouldn't take too long to get back into it. Make sure you keep working and try sending your folio around places as you update.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I think the GameStop thing will be a good thing, I wont HATE it like I did when I use to work at fast food places in HS. Plus it will help me stay on top of what games are coming out and I'll get to see them and be inspired. And I wont be going stir crazy like I have been the past few weeks because I'll have something to get me out of the house.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I think the GameStop thing will be a good thing, I wont HATE it like I did when I use to work at fast food places in HS. Plus it will help me stay on top of what games are coming out and I'll get to see them and be inspired. And I wont be going stir crazy like I have been the past few weeks because I'll have something to get me out of the house.

And you will get to take the sweet ass game promotion stuff. That was the only good thing about working at K-Mart, I always got the cool game posters (I even got the original xbox they had the game demo's running on).
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    DarthNater wrote: »
    And you will get to take the sweet ass game promotion stuff. That was the only good thing about working at K-Mart, I always got the cool game posters (I even got the original xbox they had the game demo's running on).

lol Amen. I am ROLLING in free t's. Anyone want free t-shirts? Really, I got lots...

And yes, it does keep you up on new games coming out, but you'll also want to buy more games than you ever have before. Beware!!! :P

And if you DO hate it, that's not such a bad thing. It can be GREAT motivation to keep trying to find that better, industry job! :p
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Get off on the right foot. Not at your job, but with your free time. I've seen too many times, people on the right track just falling to the wayside. They get the job to get them by and they just lose the ambition, when they were so close. Make it a point to start on a new fun 3d project that you're totally jazzed about in your first week of the job. You've come this far, keep pushin' for it, try hard enough long enough and good things are bound to happen.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry to hear you didnt get the job :<

I look forward to seeing many posts in the PnP forum of your fight for your dreams :)
    Never give up <3
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry for bumping a dead thread.. but it's better than making a new one as it's full of more useful information. On the question of attire for guys on an interview. In visual effects we were always told to dress pretty formally, but in game design my experience has always been much more casual. My experience at a major game studio, everyone always dressed casually. My question is, for an interview what would be the ideal dress code for a guy..? Slacks and a nice collared shirt, jeans and a nice shirt, tshirt... I would assume shorts and flipflops are a no-no.. I heard something like dress like you would for a date. lol Any tips?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Dress shirt with Khaki pants (or any dress pants) and blazer perhaps. For an interview.

And use bigger words..
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Dress shirt with Khaki pants (or any dress pants) and blazer perhaps. For an interview.

And use bigger words..

Nevermind I found an entire thread dedicated to this topic. Overall conclusion.. dress yourself.. nice jeans/pants and a button down or nice shirt... that's what I'm shooting for :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Progg wrote: »
    Any tips?

Not dress related but bring a pocketable stink buster just in case you're interviewing at a large studio where you have multiple rounds of group interviews. You might sweat a lot under tough questionning and you don't want your potential co-workers to sniff the smell-of-fear. Take advantage of bathroom breaks to freshen up.

axe-spray.jpeg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ^Don't abuse it though.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wear something comfortable. I go with untucked bowling shirts, nice and comfortable, a little stylish if you don't go loud and obnoxious. There are enough buttons to say look I dressed up but it also says, hey I'm not one of the other 14 yuppie look-a-likes you just finished interviewing.

The dress shirt, no tie and kakis combo is about as vanilla as it gets and pretty much your standard "hi I'm nervous as hell, please dont' ass rape me" candidate attire.

And if you're going to bring any spray, like ZacD said, don't over do it... Nothing worse than sitting in a room with a guy that gives everyone a headache because he's been nervously bathing in deodorant every second he's left alone. Bring mints instead... If you over mint, your breath doesn't actually go that far, no harm done ha.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What vig said.

Yeah if there is one thing i hate, it is someone stinking of chemicals, specialy that axe is a bitch. Take a shower.. and use something more neutral or do like you always do.

With clothing,
    It is more important that you wear something newish, and dont grab your 5 year old garage shirt.
    It is about how you wear it, not how the clothing is wearing you.
    If you are not used to wearing something sexy, and it makes you feel different, dont do it.
    It would be more important you feel like yourself and grab that shirt where you feel a rockstar in.

// Hell i might even put on the pink bunny suit head and rock it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    polo and jeans work?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Vig wrote: »
    Wear something comfortable. I go with untucked bowling shirts, nice and comfortable, a little stylish if you don't go loud and obnoxious. There are enough buttons to say look I dressed up but it also says, hey I'm not one of the other 14 yuppie look-a-likes you just finished interviewing.

The dress shirt, no tie and kakis combo is about as vanilla as it gets and pretty much your standard "hi I'm nervous as hell, please dont' ass rape me" candidate attire.

And if you're going to bring any spray, like ZacD said, don't over do it... Nothing worse than sitting in a room with a guy that gives everyone a headache because he's been nervously bathing in deodorant every second he's left alone. Bring mints instead... If you over mint, your breath doesn't actually go that far, no harm done ha.

I suggested this combo because it works like a charm and the interviewer thinks that you are not there to have tea with him, instead, you are there to get the job, and you know enough about their company as well as your own skills.

It was a tips I got from my college before graduating. Right before the Microsoft job fair.

And lol, I just imagined that entire scene the one in the last paragragh, made me laugh.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would actualy go for the tea or coffee. I would like to know the people i will be working with.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    +1 to coffee or tea.

Hanging out with the interviewers is definitely better then being a nervous little kid with a portfolio and nothing else to go with. :P