Home Technical Talk

Skylight/Lightracer Norm map issue in Max

Hi all,

I have just moved over to Max from Maya. I just created a model of a barn with diffuse, spec, and normal maps applied to it. I put in a skylight/lightracer
set up and rendered. My normal and spec maps are not showing up. I have the normals in the bump channel and the spec in the specular level channel.
Also, I have several diffuse layers in the composite texture channel.

Any suggestions why the normal/spec maps aren't showing up? They do show up when rendered with a spotlight.

Thanks

Porkovich

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's because you're using a skylight.
    The skylight, by definition, is a dome of lights coming from all directions, it's basically like a shadow-casting ambient light. There is no specular highlighting from it, and while it will be using your normal-maps, they'll just be washed out.

The skylight should always be used in conjunction with some sort of directional light otherwise all you'll get is ambient.

Personally I'd just go with a couple of shadow-casting area lights with nice amount of colour bleed and diffuse bounces, you'll get a much nicer effect and it won't take as long to render.
  • porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot. I'll try out your suggestion.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely try out MoP's suggestion. A couple of area lights with FG + bouncing turned on offers more control and is a notch faster than skylight :)

bouncel.jpg

You can set the number of bounces here :) (in case you didn't know before)
  • porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'll try this out. I'm looking for a good light set-up for daylight since this is a model of a building that would be outdoors. Are the lights your suggesting the mr area spot?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    For daylight, i'd suggest using Max's daylight system. But then you'll have to worry about linear workflow, exposure controls etc. Using a regular mr area spot will do the trick too :)

EDIT: If you're going with the spotlight route, it might be best to combine that with a low intensity skylight with a blue sky color. That way you get the strong directional light from the spotlight (sun) and the blue color of the sky bouncing around and filling up your shadows.