Home Technical Talk

New PC came- How will it do in Maya? =]

Heyo everyone, my 2.6ghz QaudCore, 1tb HDD, GTX260 rig came today. I'm just wondering how it would, not run, but handle the screen tearing in Maya.
With my last, decent but not current, rig I saw major refresh problems in Maya unlike anything I've ever seen before =P That was back when I created that thread about refresh rate on my old rig and how everything had horrible tearing, even when I moved windows on the desktop. Now, tearing is gone and I'm wondering if, I was to re install maya, would I have tearing?

I heared that Maya does not support nvidia cards or something like that...and I still have one (Altho made by Palit)

peace.

Second question - I don't have exactly 1tb and 4gb ram ..how come? It's more like 3.3gb ram and 931gb HDD.

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Second question - I don't have exactly 1tb and 4gb ram ..how come? It's more like 3.3gb ram and 931gb HDD.

The difference in the available disk space and RAM is allocated for essential system processes and functions. That way, no matter how much you monkey with it, the system will always have what it needs to function properly.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah, sounds alright.

Any clue on the first question? Maybe it was really just my old card dying.. everything had bad tear and so did Maya and Max.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you need to update your video drivers. Specifically what type of card is it? Geforce, Quadro? TnT? Once you figure that out head over to www.nvidia.com and get the latest drivers.

If you're not sure about the card type go start > Run > type dxdiag and hit ok, then look it up on the display tab. If it says something like default display driver then you know you're using the windows default. The version number will be on the right side of the drivers are appropriate for your card but just out of date. The latest drivers from nvidia will check the version anyway but its good to know before hand.

I've used Maya with Nvidia cards and never had a problem, unless the drivers where out of date or the card was ancient.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually had the latest version of the 9 series drivers on my old PC (9600gt - quite old ish) and only a 500 watt psu.

Now I have and a Geforce GTX 260 896mb- got the latest drivers too.
    I'm only asking because I don't want to be annoyed when I get Maya.
    But I probably wont have the tearing. It was probably indeed the old card or something.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Vig wrote: »
    I've used Maya with Nvidia cards and never had a problem, unless the drivers where out of date or the card was ancient.

Same here, and I've only ever used NVIDIA cards. I wouldn't worry about it, Taylor - just go make some cool shit. Oh, and be sure to back up your important files regularly. Just because you've got nearly a terabyte of drive space doesn't mean it can't fail randomly. More data to lose, if you're not careful.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True that Dan!
    =]
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13

Scientific terminology:
    1 TeraByte = 1.000.000.000.000 byte = 1000^4 = 10^12 byte

Computer terminology:
    1 GigaByte = 1.073.741.824 byte = 1024^3 = 2^30 byte

So they sell 1TB HDD where Tera is defined by scientific meaning (1*10^12), but in computer terminology, which is based on binary math a Giga (1*2^30) and you get a lower value:

1 TB (scientific) / 1 GB (computer) = 931,32 GB
    1.000.000.000.000 / 1.073.741.824 = 931,32 GB

If Task Manager says you got 3.3 GB Ram -> Physical Memory (K) Total 3,3 GB it means you're running a 32 Bits OS which disregards anything above that limit. You need to upgrade to a 64 Bits OS.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    nvidia cards run better in maya than ati cards, your SUPPOSE to run maya with quadro cards, not geforce gaming cards, but 99% of the time geforce cards are cheaper and run just as well.

How much did you spend on that pc?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    On that note there is a long running debate surrounding this. Presently traditional greek prefixes keep their even thousand meaning, while a modified prefix means the computing standard of 1024^x, as published/defined by the IEC.
    Kibibytes, Mebibytes, Gibibytes, Tebibytes, etc. (the B in them is for binary, Gigabinary byte)
    KiB, MiB GiB TiB, PiB, etc

The differences between 2^10 ^x and 10^3^x grow significantly with each major division.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    nvidia cards run better in maya than ati cards, your SUPPOSE to run maya with quadro cards, not geforce gaming cards, but 99% of the time geforce cards are cheaper and run just as well.

How much did you spend on that pc?

Around £600, why?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Taylor you shouldn't have a problem with Maya using a nvidia gaming card provided the drivers are good or the the card isn't defective. As for the old righ I don't think the PSU was powerful enough for that card, if you had it for a few years the psu might of been dying. I forget what my psu is now but I'm pretty sure it's higher than that.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds about right sage. I had it for nearly two years.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    500 watts should be fine for a 9600, pretty bare minimum but should have been okay.

Just curious on the price, I built my own 2 years back.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it was okay when I first got it. It probably just started to go bad. Ohwell, the problem is solved I guess. No need to post anymore guys =]

...unless I do have tearing! mwhahah
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, still kind of puzzled about this ram thing.
    I was looking at a question on a site and this guy has the same problem. He has only 3.3gb of Ram and has a physical 4gb. Does Vista use more resources? If I upgrade to 7 will more memory be available? What really is the problem? Is there a way to get 4gb because thats what I payed for not 3gb. :(
  • muppo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perhaps you're using a 32bit o. system (3.2~3.4 gig cap) , only 64bit uses all the onboard ram
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clearing my mind mate =P I do indeed have crappy windows vista 32 bit. I'm going to upgrade for £19 soon.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, quick question, how important is 64 bit? (any os) I really want 4gb ram so thats one pro of 64. I have the choice of getting 32 bit/64 maya and max but I have, currently, pretty old Vista home basic sp1 32 bit (I know I know..) I don't want to install anything until I make up my mind? I mean..if I get 32 bit of any of those programs it'd go to waist wouldn't it? I'd have to reinstall for 64 bit?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    64 bit is only better when you have 64 bit apps for it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay..well, I may not get 64 bit but I would like that 4gb..
    But I just realised something wrong with my UI..my main task bar is grey and not the normal black. When I open mozzila it turns black.
    What the hell is up with that guys? :(
  • muppo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well from my past exp 64 bit works by far better and if you are using not so old 32bit programs they would run fine as well on the new os.
    zbrush/mudbox (trial)/3ds max works without any prob over here, dont know about maya but i guess it will as well.
    there are some minor troubles ofc, but there are workarounds as well. generally speaking i would suggest you to go with 64bit win7 without any doubt.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Okay..well, I may not get 64 bit but I would like that 4gb..
    But I just realised something wrong with my UI..my main task bar is grey and not the normal black. When I open mozzila it turns black.
    What the hell is up with that guys? :(

are you using vista/win7? its an aero thing, full screen it turns off the transparency of the task bar.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you'd be crazy to stay with a 32bit OS in this day and age. I'm supposed to be the old guy fighting against change here lol.

Even if you stick with 32bit apps running in a 64bit OS you can still have more apps open at the same time because the OS itself can use more memory, provided you have the memory available.

The real reason you are only seeing like 3.3 gigs of ram is because your nvidia card has 896mb, a 32bit OS can only access 4 gigs total memory that's ram + video card ram.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so...I'm definitley going 64 bit. Lol.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Sigh* It's like £70 and above on ebay
    Anyone know the cheapest place for the most basic version of windows 7 64bit?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master