Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Minecraft map data is stored as voxels, but rendered as standard polys.

Edit: Just tried out MoonForge, like what you've got so far.
    But I think Instead of building on the moon it'd be neater if it was like a holodeck, tron inspired even. Maybe then have it so players could fill the cubes different textures of their choosing instead of having material blocks like minecraft. A multiplayer minecraft+Holodeck Reimagined hybrid game, that's what I'm talking about :).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Could you have obj export ? That would be so awesome!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Heh, yeah I saw that a long time ago. I actually do want to have 2 factions, but its up to the players if they want to be enemies or friends :)

btw, heres a newer version with some textures and usability tweaks. It also loads the level instead of generating a new one each time, so your changes will be saved :)
    www.keenleveldesign.com/pimp/moonforge/MoonForge_Wip_05.zip

If there will be the possibility of competive play will there also be weapons? Im just thinking about worms3D. may not be the best game but the weapons destroyed the world that was made more or less out of block/parts. So what about weapons that can destroy environment in moonforge?
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Minecraft map data is stored as voxels, but rendered as standard polys.

Edit: Just tried out MoonForge, like what you've got so far.
    But I think Instead of building on the moon it'd be neater if it was like a holodeck, tron inspired even. Maybe then have it so players could fill the cubes different textures of their choosing instead of having material blocks like minecraft. A multiplayer minecraft+Holodeck Reimagined hybrid game, that's what I'm talking about :).
    importing textures could then be a neat feature too.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    Loving the stuff here. I just posted this to tech-artists.org but thought I'd post here as well.

I've been working on a GPU lightmap renderer for some time but recently tried my hand at lighting volumes. There's a video below and more info on my blog copypastepixel.blogspot.com if you're interested. The lighting volumes were generated in my lightmap renderer and the video was captured from a deferred render engine I've also been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJjgkuRRIg

awesome.

keen's stuff is obviously wicked as well, but that hardly needs to be mentioned :D
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Loving the stuff here. I just posted this to tech-artists.org but thought I'd post here as well.

I've been working on a GPU lightmap renderer for some time but recently tried my hand at lighting volumes. There's a video below and more info on my blog copypastepixel.blogspot.com if you're interested. The lighting volumes were generated in my lightmap renderer and the video was captured from a deferred render engine I've also been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJjgkuRRIg

that looks fanatstic! So is it purely lit by lighting volumes, or a combination of lightmaps for static geo and lighting volumes for dynamic objects? I'm pretty impressed with the ambient specular you're getting :).
  • UNCCheezy
  • copypastepixel
    Peris wrote: »
    that looks fanatstic! So is it purely lit by lighting volumes, or a combination of lightmaps for static geo and lighting volumes for dynamic objects? I'm pretty impressed with the ambient specular you're getting :).

Thanks. Yep, all the ambient light comes from the light volumes. Rough light maps are generated initially and used when rendering the volumes but they're discarded once that's done.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Heres a new version of MoonForge with networking!
    http://www.keenleveldesign.com/pimp/moonforge/MoonForge_Wip_11.zip

If you wait at the connect screen for a few seconds it should find the IP address of an "official" server I setup (not 127.0.0.1). Once it finds that you can click connect to play online.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keen, that's awesome!
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very very cool Keen! Keep it up!
  • MattLichy
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAYUM SON! who did that Matt?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Old stuff, was made in mine-edit and using a voxel painting program.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Keen! I have only one request.

JETPACKS.

astronaut.jpg
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im working on inventory and crafting, jetpacks are something you can make or buy :P

MattLichy, that makes me realize how much I need to work on loading time. I wounder if there is a write up somewhere about how the minecraft dev got such fast mesh generation time, and how much data is actually loaded during any moment of gameplay. I think I would be better off generating triangles manually rather than using Unitys buildin Mesh.Combine() function. Theres also some other unoptimized code in the loading process, I think its doing lots of disk access while creating cells.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi people,

I'm about to properly start work on my first game, but before I do I'm just posting this demo showcasing a few things. The main thing being 3D sphere to triangle collision detection. Also some basic dynamic lighting and fast culling.

Regarding culling, this pseudo game level has 54,000 polygons, which represents a fairly large level in DS or N64 level polycounts. Because it's broken up into 75 pieces and only a small amount of polygons are visible at any one time, it runs at 60fps with ease, as models that are completely offscreen are quickly discarded from the transformation/render engine.

Also regarding collison detection, the per poly collisions also use my broadphase uniform grid, so the amounts of polygons needing to be checked are narrowed down to an average of about 60 per frame, with the majority of those being quickly discarded anyway, due to them being too far away or backfacing.

The actual sphere to triangle collision routine is more complex than you imagine though. A simple raycast to the polygon is not enough, you need to first find the intersection point, and if that intersection is seen to be NOT in the current triangle, that doesn't mean there is definitely no collision.

Why? Because the radius of your object could be touching one of the vertices or edges of the triangle, even if the ray doesn't intersect the actual face of the triangle. You can probably visualise this, imagine a sphere approaching one triangle from every angle.

And the process for checking collisions with the 3 edges and 3 vertices not only brings the collisions checks per triangle to 7 instead of just 1 ray cast, but the edge/vertex check are more complex than the raycast, and slower.

So once you've found your colliding polygon, you can just adjust the velocity and the function right?

No, this is the bit that'll surprise most people. You have to carry on iterating through the polygons in case you collide with multiple polygon simultaneouslly (which you are, a lot of the time). Not only that, but even after you've finished iterating over all the polygons in the current node, you have to do it AGAIN, using the new velocity that exists as a result of the first collision.

So you have to actually run the routine up to 5 times per object per frame, to properly implement "sliding" physics.

As you can imagine, getting the routine to run fast isn't easy.

I have got mine running very fast as you'll see, and for those of you that are interested, if you maybe want to develop a 3D engine yourself (especially when Flash gets GPU support), the best references are this paper by Kapser Fauerby - http://www.peroxide.dk/papers/collision/collision.pdf and Ericson's book "Real Time Collision Detection".

I think these are the best, most concise references out there. Part of the trick to getting 3D collision detection running fast is a FAST arse broadphase, that narrows the possible collisions down with minimal overhead, and the other part is simplifying the actual collision routine as much as possible.

Anyway, here's the demo. Not only does it run at 60fps, but making sure you have nothing else running in the browser, you should check the CPU usage.

By default you control a Dreamcast in 3D person, using the WASD keys or the arrow keys.

Press Spacebar to shoot weapons, press 1 to swap the Dreamcast with a pixel art style Dreamcast, and press 2 to change to FPS style controls, where WASD is move/strafe, and the mouse rotates/looks. While in FPS mode, you can press V to enable vertical look.

http://rumblesushi.com/dreamcast.html

Cheers,
    RumbleSushi
  • copypastepixel
    Cool stuff RumbleSushi. Looks like you've nailed it. I had loads of browser windows open in chrome and it ran perfect. That was on a fairly bodgey old laptop as well. What's your demo coded in out of interest?

I also wanted to post another light volume test. This one features an animated character so it's been a lot of fun to work on.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYJWuCtW-0[/ame]

blog: copypastepixel.blogspot.com
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks CPP, it's written in AS3.

Very nice lighting by the way, the spheres especially look excellent. Is your shader written in C++?
  • copypastepixel
    Cheers, it's all written in C#, under XNA, lots of fun :)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I implemented some hacky dynamic indirect lighting using a "many lights" technique. Im currently using Unitys default deferred lights so its still slower than it should be. I will probably make a special post process for really cheap lights.
    moonforge_11.jpg
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I like the indirect lighting, but I think it's actually distracting to do it at a granularity smaller than the blocks themselves (and the outlines on the blocks don't help). It sort of accentuates the blockiness to the point of distraction, instead of it being an interesting pixel-art-like style. Imagine if you took a pixel art game and drew tiny black outlines around the pixels - it would prevent any larger shapes from forming.

Also, if you were looking to differentiate from Minecraft, you might experiment with your core block size. Part of what makes Minecraft Minecraft is the size of the blocks - just small enough to jump on but not small enough to walk over. Big enough to build with but too big to really do physical simulation with. If you had smaller blocks you might experiment with world simulation more like this:

http://www.onemorelevel.com/worldofsand.php

And then you could reasonably add vehicles: diggers, jeeps, cranes for building. . . You would probably need a smaller world than Minecraft, but who needs all that space anyway?

I think it's a really interesting type of game engine and might have potential for non-Minecraft gameplay if you play with the core tech some.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The indirect light granularity is much larger than a box, there are a max of 25 lights right now each with 15 block radius. Or do you mean having a block be fully lit as one solid color and not using smooth gradiant lighting? Doing outlined pixel textures was one of the original ideas I had. Im not convinced its a bad idea, but I just havent tried it yet.

Having smaller scale blocks and more physics would be cool, but very hard to do in a large world, which I do want. I can still have vehicles, I just need to give them really big wheels :D
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I meant how there is a core shadow, what might be AO, on each block in a stair-step. So, when you look at a slope, the stair-step effect gets accentuated. It makes your game world seem much more like it's literally built from blocks, and less like it's a blocky but coherent world. . . if that makes sense. There's blocky-as-a-style (pixel art) and there's blocky (legos). I like the pixel art aesthetic. That's just my take on it.

Maybe experiment with making the block outline a slightly lighter color than the rest of the block?

Looking forward to seeing what you do next :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    doc rob wrote: »
    I think it's a really interesting type of game engine and might have potential for non-Minecraft gameplay if you play with the core tech some.

That made me think, someone could potentially do a minecraft style game with the cortex-command mechanic.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eld: Oh yes. That would be marvelous!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I implemented super fast light rendering for the indirect lights, they also give a better result than regular lights:
    moonforge_12.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Not as awesome as what Keen is doing :P

edgeDetect.png

Finally got edge detect working. Tried with UV coordinates but failed everytime. Got a sobel filter working on scene texture. Might play with that and see if i can incorporate a depth map for that. Learning more and more and think I can go back to my anaglyph fail PP and redo that with what I have learned by trying to do an edge detect.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty work guys!
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Came up with the idea of having thumbs for objects in a Max File that u want to Merge into your scene.

So using this tool, u could see each Object or Group of Objects, or a whole layer as a thumbnail, then merge that into the scene via right click and maybe drag/drop the thumbnail.

MergingFiles.jpg

Edit: Updated the image. Added some new features/options.

Got the filtering working so far :D. Just need to try to make it work better than the way I have it now... Right now u have to choose the max file to merge each time u change the filter text for it to update..
  • kony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kony polycounter lvl 9
    MattLichy: its very great idea !!!! its coOol for floaters library.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    MattLichy: Looks wicked :) I can defently see the use of this.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, Matt :D
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, I was debating if this would be useful or not, but I think it will be.

The main issue with it, which isn't a big deal and is expected, is that it can take a bit to render all the thumbs if you choose Single Objects with scenes that have like 150 + objects. But it also depends on the thumb sizes u render, and other stuff. Gonna see if I can get the speed up.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I guess it would be useful if you could create a db (datebase) or thumbnail zip archive file with a index of things. That way Max files could be batch processed into small indexed files that contain the thumbnails and perhaps some ini or XML based info table with the stats.

There are several other scripts out there that do that in a similar way but often they are rather focused on Materials. Having a standalone tool for just that would be nice with support for FBX and OBJ next to max.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah... well 1 issue or thing I thought about with this, is if I DID create a database of thumbs, it wouldn't be up to date if they delete an object and save their scene, unless a callback detected it, and re-created the thumbs.

Right now I'm just rendering the thumbs for the file you want to merge, and storing them in Ram, not even to disk. This works pretty well with smaller files to merge, or like I said layers and whatnot, but huge scenes when doing single objects will take time....
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Matt: How are you rendering the thumbnails? Always wanted to build like a database plugin that just accesses a folder and shows thumbnails on the objs. I know there are some scripts that do this for maya...really need to get back to doing Mel or figuring out python.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just using the Render method max has. Just going through objects, selecting them per certain parameters (visible/grouped/ect), zoom up on them, isolate them, and then render it and add it to an array.

Then later I take that array and add it to the controls of a DotNet flowlayoutpanel.

I was saving the bitmaps to file at first, just for testing, but keeping in memory seems to be a better choice right now, because its faster and I dont run into I/O errors trying to delete/re-render/save bitmaps and so on.

I'm still somewhat of a noob to maxscripting, and not really a programmer in general, but I like this stuff and keep learning.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    @haidda : isn't it the layout tool (former level tool) embed into the maya bonus tool that you are looking for?

Maya-2011-Layout-Tools-2011.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EzMeow: :O That looks nice. Need to go download that..
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Not as awesome as what Keen is doing :P

edgeDetect.png

Finally got edge detect working. Tried with UV coordinates but failed everytime. Got a sobel filter working on scene texture. Might play with that and see if i can incorporate a depth map for that. Learning more and more and think I can go back to my anaglyph fail PP and redo that with what I have learned by trying to do an edge detect.

Nice! Also isn't this the GDC demo level? where did you get hold of it?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    It's in the udk installation. And that effect is verycool.

Commander keen: awesome light rendering, I really like the Ca and soft blur at thestart of shadow
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Nice! Also isn't this the GDC demo level? where did you get hold of it?

It should be in UDK maps directory since the April installation :) Got tonnes of work to do on this.

@BeatKitano: Thanks! I want to add a camera fadeoff as far off there just tends to be dark lines. Also gonna try to work my way through some toon shaders and add that to this.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    using some shader tricks Im morphing the moon into a sphere. Its actually just a (soon to be tiling) flat world :)
    moonforge_13.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat, how are you doing that? Circular falloff centred on the player to transforms the vertices downwards?
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will probably update my tools tomorrow, with this in the build.

I'm going to try and add another filter textbox to the menu, at the bottom, but u can use that one, hopefully, to filter the thumbs that were generated.

Screenshot_46.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lichy, cant wait to try it out, let us know when you have something linkable!!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    Neat, how are you doing that? Circular falloff centred on the player to transforms the vertices downwards?

Yeah basically, I still need to do some tweaks to make it look correct when viewed from orbit.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, no problem :)

Actually... I was up till like 3 AM programming this lol... But anyways, when I was going to bed, I realized how I can catalog the Obj names/Thumbs and get them back/edit them accurately/appropriately like RenderHJS Mentioned...

Soo.... I got it all written out in English right now, it shouldn't be that hard to add/not a ton of code.

So it will check to see if a folder based on that Max File name exists, if so, then check the Max File Last Modified Date, if that doesn't match the date stored in the INI File, or if the Folder didn't exist, it will tell u that it needs to Catalog/Re-Update the Catalog the thumbs.

But then after that, if the folder exists and the file date is the same, it can just read in the images from that folder and rescale them if need be based on what u choose for the thumb size. So this way, it should be ALOT faster after you initially
    catalog the Max File :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe one of those BUTOFCOURSE! moments huh!
    Cant wait!
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. It's maybe a little more work than I thought, but it shouldn't be that bad. I think it will be worth it though for sure.

It will make it run so much faster, making it much more competitive/a better alternative to using the Max Merge Dialog for Meshes.