Home Technical Talk

Zbrush nm and disp help plz.

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
Hello, this is my first post here so i will do a quick intro, i live in san diego cal, looking to find work at one of the game studios here locally, hopefully. been working in the 3d world for little under a year now and completely in love!

I am working a fun little project right now that may go into my portfolio if i can get it worked out.

I am experimenting with normal maps and disp maps but running into the fallowing setbacks.

I am using zbrush 3.5 r3 and max 2010 on win 7 on a 4gig quad core 32 bit system.

I Have modeled my lowpoly meshes in max and imported into zb as obj's with zb settings. iv done all my hipoly work in zb and am happy with what i have.

i have a 3000 poly goal with 1024 def, disp, norm and spec maps.

heres where the trouble starts..... i take the lowest sub of my tool and export as obj, import to max, weld all verts at like 0.05 to make sure nothing crazy is going on and then proceed to unwrap and report them into zbrush as the lwoest sub of the tool. i then go to texture and make new from uv_map, create new disp, and normal map. the result i get is a broken messy looking thing that only somewhat resembles my hipoly tool.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi poly tool with all parts showing
turbinee.jpg

Garbage NM in full effect...lol
untled.jpg