Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character wip

Hi people,
I'm currently doing character modelling for uni so thought I would post it here and get some feedback on him.

I have been trying to keep him low poly at the moment he stands at 3994 polys, not really used zbrush other than giving the generic dog huge boils all over his body but I'm thinking I'll have to give it a try with this character as it will be a good learning expierience.

This is my 1st attempt at character modelling but anyways here some pics to scrutinize...

SDC10385.JPG

24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg

Replies

• Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    The renders don't look that great, but overall the character feels really generic or plain. It's good work, a few poly problems here and there, but good work. Keep it up!
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he is kind of basic at the mo I was told to try and keep it simple as this is a learning expieience more than a full blown i'm making a kick ass character type thing.
    I need to add some accessories to him my brief for this project was to create a time travelling bounty hunter that fitted the theme of my level in the last project in which I done a wild west town.

I will be adding things such as the cowboy hat and bandanna around the neck along with bandoliers holster and knives to the belt around the waist.

Any suggestions on what I could also do to make him seam more badass time traveller but still keeping him with the 1840's style would be cool.
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys having a few issues and wondering if somebody could lend a hand.

The character I'm working on is to be added to ut3 at the end of the module so when it comes to building/unwrapping i have been working to the ut3 unwrap template where the head/arms/torso/legs/boots are all seperate objects.

So I've exported the base model into zbrush and when I add more subdivions (correct term?) the model spilts into parts like so....
    Untitled-1.jpg

So i'm guessing that i need to weld all the edge verts and make him into 1 model for zbrush but thought i should ask here and make sure that wont make too big a problem when I take the finished high poly and the low poly into xnormal and create the normal maps?

sorry for asking such noobish questions but hey what can i say i'm a noob to character modelling and zbrush.

oh and while attaching all the peices theres a few quads that i would either have to turn into tris or should i add more edgeloops to keep the quads?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to have one single mesh when exporting for sculpting.

One thing I would usually do is extrude the edges slightly further inside the adjoining piece, so where an arm goes into a sleeve, extrude in some more and add an edge loop so that when it subdivides, you don't get gaps.

It might be simpler on the legs to join them up but for the other pieces, you could just extend them inside the adjoining piece a bit more.
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks man
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havent updated in ages so thought id see what feed back i get. almost finished the modelling portion of the project so wont be restarting anytime soon lol but once the hand in is done and i'mno longer working to deadlines i might have another go at making him a bit more badass

now for some pics....
    44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    level up!congrats
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated this so here we are....

The modelling portion of this module is over so other than some minor tweeking I'm not allowed to make any changes to the model. I have unwrapped the model to fit the unreal uv template and started texturing which is going ok I guess but theres still some stuff that I am unsure of how to do.

I'm having issues getting the folds in the clothing to look real and to have real depth, i know a normal map will help that alot but if the diffuse texture doesn't look right then theres no point in trying to get the normal map done.

And the skin is a pain as the face I have done with photographs so now it's a case of trying to match the skin on the arms to the face and painting in the muscles

So if anybody has some advice or a decent written or video tutorial for building up detailed skin textures and adding folds and creases to clothing textures I would be grateful. I have uploaded a jpeg of my body texture so that if anybody could do a paintover to help me get the folds right even if its just showing the direction they feel the folds should be heading that would be great

Thanks guys.
    bodytex.jpg
    backfolds1.jpg
    folds2ndattempt.jpg
    folds2ndattempt2.jpg
    bandolier.jpg
    neweyes.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey people update time,

finished the diffuse texture and started the specular next up is creating a normal map using the nvidia ps filter (tutor told me i had to as thier not teaching zbrush at the mo)

finiashed%2Btexture.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys i'm trying to set my character up in marmoset so i can get some nice images of it, But having a few issues mainly as i'm not sure about how to use the program.

As my character is made for UT3 i have followed the ut3 uvw template which gives the head and body seperate textures. if i bring the full model into marmoset as 1 model then the head will take the body texture or vice versa (depending in which material i load)

so i need to know if theres a way to bring 2 seperate models into marmoset and if so can i then move them around to alight the head to the body?
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've just about finished the normal/specular maps, I've also imported my body into the marmoset engine by 8monkey labs which is a really cool enviroment for displaying models. final task for today was that I have started to think about the team colours.
    marmoset+render.jpg
    theteamshot.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Shame this thread has hardly any crits. A bit late in the game now, so I guess this will just be a bit of general knowledge to be used in a next project.

For a fisrt attempt it didn't come out bad at all. But like many first attempts this model suffers from common errors.

Topology:

The topology is messy. it's a classic case of 'square modeling'. There are no edgeloops that define the shape and mass of the model. All edges run in a straight line. While actually you want those edges to curve and follow the body.
    You definately have to look into edgeloops and topology. Search these terms and plenty examples/threads will pop up.

Modelling in quads is a good thing, but specially for sculpting its important you keep your quads as evenly sized as possible. You will notice that very long quads cause problems with sculpting. Try to avoid long quads and have detail where needed.
    For example, on a head, the eyes would need more geometry than the top of a bald head.
    Look at the work of other people and pay close attention to how their mesh looks.

Anatomy:

Dive into it! You can't look enough at anatomy, learn the proportions, the muscles, skeleton. Learn how the body works. Build a refrence folder filled with tons of pics, arms, legs, heads, skin, etc etc.

sculpting:

Start with low detail, and then work your way up slowly. Don't sub_D a model 10 times before you start sculpting, but make each level count. When you feel you can't get the detail you need out of a level, then sub_D it. Sculpting takes time. take it slow.
    Work from big shapes to the small ones.

That's my generic 2cts for now! Good luck :)
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man its nice to get some decent tips and crit and will definately take what youve said on board
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its hand in time for my character project so everythings as far as i can take it for now. pretty happy with how its turned out.

TEXTURE%2BEVOLUTION.jpg

bandit%2Bbeauty%2Brender.jpg