Home General Discussion

Legalization by 2010?

Replies

• Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg, you make it sound like we might as well just give everyone a bucket of grenades and an education on how to use high explosives, since they're so dumb and dangerous already.

Just because stupid people have plenty of ways to ruin life for everyone else doesn't mean it makes sense to give them yet another. That logic baffles me.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    what? it's not legal?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    ebagg, you make it sound like we might as well just give everyone a bucket of grenades and an education on how to use high explosives, since they're so dumb and dangerous already.

Just because stupid people have plenty of ways to ruin life for everyone else doesn't mean it makes sense to give them yet another. That logic baffles me.
    Sounds like an awesome reality show to me...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    All this introspective thinking is good, keeps people from doing lots of stuff they shouldn't, I have a lot of close family in AA and battle a little bit of my own demons. But I really enjoy partying my balls off from time to time, nothing too heavy just the standard stuff. Call it sad but some of the best times of my life have been partying with friends, family, you name it, helps me cope with being a bit of an introvert.

Everything in moderation though, and yes, some people fall victim to excess of these things, and often times these people are completely innocent, shit happens. But pot isn't one of these terrible substances, in fact i think it's more of a gateway drug because it's illegal, "If this is illegal maybe the other stuff isn't so bad?". If a minority of conservatives get butt hurt because they have to smell pot (which doesn't smell bad, it's a psychological thing for them) now and then, well that's a shame. A lot of the movement surrounding the legalization of marijuana is about live and let live. Sure there are plenty of lazy ass stoners out there, but eh, that's the wave of the future. Not condoning it, that's just how it is, the lower and middle classes work less and less and have free time to do stupid shit, it's called social progress. I don't see how smoking weed is any less mindless or self destructive as running any other rat race: shopping, working a pointless 9 to 5 job, whatever.

Again, i don't smoke the stuff, nothing annoys me more than stoners who preach this crap 24/7, but really it's absurd that it's illegal.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WELL now we know who reefs down and who doesnt :P

the scariest thing about pot for me is how it can make doing nothing, 100% entertaining.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    All this introspective thinking is good, keeps people from doing lots of stuff they shouldn't, I have a lot of close family in AA and battle a little bit of my own demons. But I really enjoy partying my balls off from time to time, nothing too heavy just the standard stuff. Call it sad but some of the best times of my life have been partying with friends, family, you name it, helps me cope with being a bit of an introvert.

Everything in moderation though, and yes, some people fall victim to excess of these things, and often times these people are completely innocent, shit happens. But pot isn't one of these terrible substances, in fact i think it's more of a gateway drug because it's illegal, "If this is illegal maybe the other stuff isn't so bad?". If a minority of conservatives get butt hurt because they have to smell pot (which doesn't smell bad, it's a psychological thing for them) now and then, well that's a shame. A lot of the movement surrounding the legalization of marijuana is about live and let live. Sure there are plenty of lazy ass stoners out there, but eh, that's the wave of the future. Not condoning it, that's just how it is, the lower and middle classes work less and less and have free time to do stupid shit, it's called social progress. I don't see how smoking weed is any less mindless or self destructive as running any other rat race: shopping, working a pointless 9 to 5 job, whatever.

Again, i don't smoke the stuff, nothing annoys me more than stoners who preach this crap 24/7, but really it's absurd that it's illegal.

its more a gateway drug because the guy who sells pot, usually has some other shit in stock as well, that he wants to sell you.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Former smoker myself and i for one support legalization. I also lived in Amsterda for 2 years

I believe alot of people have the misconception that if pot was legalized in the U.S it would lead to increased drug use as well as marijuana and we would have a nation of addicts. I believe ths opposite will be the result.

When i moved to Amsterdam i had this idea that the Dutch would be big time pot smokers but in reality i came to the conclusion that i was waaayy off in my assumptions(i met a total of 4 Dutch in 2 years of living in holland who regularly smoked). I believe in the U.S there is a sort of romanticisim related to smoking pot and alot of people try it because they are told they are not allowed to. When you tell people they are not allowed to do something they will do it in droves.

In Holland this romanticisim of pot culture does not exsist,it just isnt a big deal. If you go an buy pot to smoke it isnt some act of rebellion to unfair laws,its just a trip to the local coffeeshop. It just isnt a big deal. Most Dutch i would meet i would ask them out of curiosity wether they smoked or not and 96% of the time they did not. It was viewed as something you did in your teens and eventually grew out of. It just wasnt a big thing. The non smokers in Holland have a live and let live attitude and as long as you dont spark up in the presence of children they dont care.

It is because its decriminalized in Holland that people come in droves to Amsterdam,in November in fact due to the cannibis cup Amsterdam is invaded by Americans.

If you remove that feeling of rebellion/breaking the law i believe less people would try pot and over time total smokers in the U.S would drop,smoking a joint would be as normal as going to a bar and buying a drink. No big deal.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    its more a gateway drug because the guy who sells pot, usually has some other shit in stock as well, that he wants to sell you.
    Practice with me. "No thanks buddy, more for you huh? Take it easy, see ya." I know its hard to say no... its ok, it gets easier each time you say it.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    dejawolf wrote: »

Exactly why legalization would be a good thing.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Practice with me. "No thanks buddy, more for you huh? Take it easy, see ya." I know its hard to say no... its ok, it gets easier each time you say it.

Personal responsibility? In America? You gotta be smoking crack, Vig
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Minimum wage is a gateway drug.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    They should just legalize it and tax the hell out of it. Why? So this country can pay off it's debt and give our artists more jobs.

Leave smokin' to personal choice.