Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junky Vehicles WIP

Hello everyone.Its my first post here.Im a 3d modeler,I use 3dsmax.I decided to do a small pack of junky trashy vehicles.The pack will include three cars.First off its a rusty Fiat 126p,only 581 polys.Its already done.Next vehicle will be something like an old Honda.

35iyrkl.jpg

BTW if my posts arent right then please tell me what to fix.

Replies

• ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'hotlinking is not permitted on imagebarn' :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I got his image working, use tinypic.com or something else instead

How many tris is it and can we see the wires?
  • chargerbandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sorry for the bad link,I fixed it.Heres a wire too.

2l9pimh.jpg

Its 581 polys/629 vertices
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a huge texture map for such a low polycount.. whats this gonna be used for?

FPS? Third Person? Foreground prop? Background?
  • chargerbandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its gonna be used for a nice FPS zombie game.Heres a screenshot of the new model im working on,based on 1986 Honda Accord.Only around 400 polys.

osbwp3.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the textures on that thing is REALLY letting it down, it could be passable with a much much better texture. theres no detail to it at all its just a photo of some rusty wheels and a green fill layer with some grungy metal overlay.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i would go at least 1000 tris on a car model if its FPS
  • chargerbandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture was all hand made and it took me 4 hours so ill keep to it.Trust me,in the engine where ill use this model,500 polys is just right,1000 is a bit high.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    My money's on an IPhone app.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 hours is almost the same as zero hours duder. Especially when you're still learning.

I think my main problem with the texture is that it doesn't have any shadows or highlights, and if you are not doing a normal map then shadows and highlights need to be in the diffuse.

Some may frown on the technique, but I would paint this in black and white first. Then go back and use gradient maps to do the color. That way you can focus just on the highlights and the shadows, and worry about the color at a later step.

Right now it looks like it was colored with crayons on construction paper. I think mostly that is because of the constant texture across the entire thing (it doesn't change at the lights, etc.) Also the square patches add to this effect. Give those more shape and detail.
  • chargerbandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade: Nope its not iPhone,its PC.
    dolemite: Well the truth is im not a fan of this modern shader crap and all these normal maps and stuff.The render has nothing but pure diffuse so that might give to the effect.

Ill keep to this style as once its in the engine,it will look nice.

The Honda is shaping up quite nicely,only 341 polys so far :P
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with what's been said about the texture so far. If you aren't doing anything other then a diffuse texture, I would suggest painting in some shading and other details into your diffuse like dolemite said. Right now the model is very "flat" looking because of the texture.

Your Honda model looks great though, keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had no idea Fiats where one solid molded piece. Why have door handles if you don't have doors...
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    If you're going with pure diffuse, with over 1 million pixels on your model (1024X1024), you're going to need to put more detail on this diffuse map in order to convince any sane person that you are using the space. That's almost 2,000 pixels per face!

Make it look more like this:

Fiat-126.jpg

Make sure to get all those nice bevels in there!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its fine to do an all-diffuse skingen texture. But if you are you need to paint in the highlights and things so that there is a sense of the materials.

2618057262_32df6cf1e0.jpg
    asakowsk_Civic_1.JPG

So it's a great model. Good modeling. But unless you are going for some special unique style, it should look like this when done with the texture.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    It might be nice to get some dirt/gunk all over the bottom half of the car too. If your going to have so much rust and grime on it, it would only look natural to have more of that crawling out from the underside of the car.

and like every one else is saying- get some edge work in there!!

*also, the car maybe looks a bit too thin> maybe take a stab at widening it a bit?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw your crazy see through wire, and decided to be a buddy and post this:

Assign Mental Ray as your renderer, then do this for fantasmagorium wire-renders:

21evib9.jpg
  • chargerbandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.Ill try to fix the car and use your tips once I get home.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    OH NOS you spent 4 hours on a texture? that must mean its good enough to go. i imagineyou work with some kind of art oven timer.
    arttimer.jpg
    i spent the better part of yesterday texturing some rocks, and i'm about to jump into it again, because i want it to look good. i could have stopped already and just accepted the results, but its important to me that it looks kick ass.

what kind of engine are you using that will take a 1024 texture and not allow 1kpolys?
    actualy i think the polygon count of the cars are fine, with a good texture they will look decent.

in fact the models themselves seem completely passable. Transit_Full04.jpg here is a texture i found on google, maybe not the best example but much closer to tolerable than what you have going on.

i'm not a fan of the fancy modern shaders either, i'd much rather a good nice difuses paint job than a dozen fancy maps. but the key to that is "a good nice difuse" despite what you say, theres not an engine in the world that will make this look good.

now dont get me wrong, i dont expect you to instantly be awesome and make the best car in the world. but the first step is at least realizing that you have a ways to go, and that all is not fine. then work piece by piece to improve,
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what you mean people work without an egg timer???