Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Indie tank game - enviroments

My very first post, so first of all, greetings and salutations polycounters!

Im currently working on enviroments for an indie tank game thats yet unnamed. So im going to post all the work on enviroments to the game in this thread, and the others might post a few things here aswell when things start rolling.

For other stuff thats beeing, or has been made for the game, check these links:
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67824
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67282
(list will be updated as we go)

I do only have 1 yeah worth of experience in 3D, so i still got a very long way to go. So for that reason you are so very much welcome to crit anything in this post, so i can leech all off your wisdome:).

But enough with the autobiography, so done with all the text, and lets cut to the chase. Heres is my first shot at enviroments for our indie game:

2evaome.jpg

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Clap clap*

:P
  • b-evil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys. it's looking, I better get my ass down to the harbor and have a look next time I visti Grenaa.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    The thing that stands out is the lack of detail in the wall plaster, its a bit uniform and would really benefit from some random cracks, stains etc. Also the blind or curtain thing in the top windows looks a bit strange to me. Having said that for someone whos relatively new to 3D it shows alot of promise so keep pushing forward with it!!!
  • hekvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 wrote: »
    The thing that stands out is the lack of detail in the wall plaster, its a bit uniform and would really benefit from some random cracks, stains etc. Also the blind or curtain thing in the top windows looks a bit strange to me. Having said that for someone whos relatively new to 3D it shows alot of promise so keep pushing forward with it!!!

thx for the reply! I will look into the wall plaster, add some stains and cracks etc. Regarding the top windows, they dont have anything like curtains. The upper floor is suposed to be full of krauts shooting panzershrecks at you, so thats the reason theres nothing there. The thing you might see as a curtain is the wallpaper :P. However, i did some shutters for the windows, so its closed off when theres no one shooting at you from the windows. Will post it later together with some other stuff i got in the works
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    The wall paper looks to clean and perfect - especially compared to the rest of the building, perhaps add some dirt and grime, perhaps even some tears -
    it is set during a war after all, and all the soot and dirt from the smoke and explosions, fires and the vehicles does accumulate.
  • Gcochrane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look like a great base to build from! Are you doing modular buildings or individual assets? I've been trolling bbobs kraut and tank... good stuff. Post some wires!
  • hekvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a little update on the texture i did yesterday including wires, and a shot without shutters so you can see the inside. I made the AO alot darker inside, and added alot of dust etc. On the wall plaster, i made more random dust, made some stains, and added some plaster holes, or whatever word you can use for them. Im still working on the large plaster hole in the corner near the drain, since im not satisfied with that one yet

5x0cip.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Don't know if the inside is gonna be that dark in the final, but it's a little too dark i think, can't see any detail really.
    But exterior detail is looking a great deal better now
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun fact: The building is based on the Deserie Ingouf in carentan, as seen in band of brothers.

http://www.battlebus.fr/staff/photos/carentan.jpg
    http://izismile.com/img/img2/20090903/normandy_49.jpg
  • hekvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try to make it just a little brighter and still got a few tweaks that i want to make. But nothing is final before its ingame and tested thoroughly ;)

btw, heres something to put in the way of bbob's tanks !

vowfap.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hekvo wrote: »
    I will try to make it just a little brighter and still got a few tweaks that i want to make. But nothing is final before its ingame and tested thoroughly ;)

btw, heres something to put in the way of bbob's tanks !

vowfap.jpg

AH! My plan is foiled.. Must, recruit, engineers... arrrgh!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and I did a bit of environment too until we realized we needed some chars:

2ikpico.jpg

2igg7jn.jpg

Gonna texture it after the char is finished.. :)
  • bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    got a few wide open spaces on the back that could use a little love. the rest is pretty nice. :)
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin sweet. But agreeing with bmasterson, those area's could use something...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    can we see some texture sheets?
  • hekvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here is some texture sheets for the different stuf, and theres some tombstones i just finished, with and without wires. What do you peeps think?

2eg8eop.jpg
    2cog5te.jpg
    29y2ag.jpg
    15ds77a.jpg
    2w4cn5h.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, we have a couple of names for towns for our first map:

Anglais-Bocage (village CP close to allied base)
    Saint-Mere-Allemand (village CP close to german base)
    Nullepartville (third village CP)
  • hekvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been some days since i did an update in this thread. But heres a small update for you to see, and crits are as welcome as allways:).

29qh8w0.jpg
    33ejtz9.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    I realise this might be a little late but you would really be better off if you used tiling textures for the buildings and "decals" (whether placed in-engine or as planes in your 3d package) for the details.

You would have to create less textures for damage, and would save massively on texture memory - meaning of course you could add more textures, or higher res textures to the things that need it (the tanks!).

Would also allow you to have separate surface types for things like stone, plaster, wood glass etc.

Unless of course you are using an engine that wants a single texture per mesh and won't function without it.
    In which case I would think about using a different engine!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    single texture is less draw calls though :P also with decals you would probably want to use soft alpha which would have to be depth sorted.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Swings and roundabouts I suppose. Smaller textures and less of them is never a bad thing and probably balances out the drawcalls issue. Also 1bit alpha is fine in most cases.

The other thing with tiling textures is less work in the long run. If you look at the textures used already they are tiling them anyway (the roof sticks out the most) but ust in photoshop, so not really taking advantage of using such a big texture page.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will look into clever ways of cheating.. Your comments are noted, thanks for your time and insight..

Expect some tests popping up in this space over the weekend.