Home Technical Talk

My UV workflow has a problem

So, i have found since i have started learning maya and zbrush that laying out UV's is one of the hardest parts (for me, hardest next to rigging), and often i just skip over the manual laying by using auto tiling in zbrush, but theres of course many reasons not to do this, and i have recently been doing it manually instead.

I've been using a UV layout program called unfold 3d, and its great for the most part, just a simple pelt creating program where i select the edges for the little UV islands and keep cutting till there's no, or little distortion.

however, this program (my version at least) does not have a symmetry feature, so i have to do both sides by hand and try and match them up, if its a symmetrical model, plus if i do a normal or texture which happens to be symmetrical i'm wasting alot of space by have 2 shells which have the same texture.

I'm trying to fix this here:
uvw.png

How do i make these ALMOST identical uv islands match up perfectly so i can scale them up and put them in a good place and waste last space, since i'm making a symmetrical normal/texture

Replies