Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello! I'm new

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mettle, I am student in Game Design but I am learning to model in 3ds max and just learning Z-brush. I'm very new to these forums but I felt that I could really learn from people here because everyone seems very skilled. This is my first attempt in using z-brush by following a tutorial off the book "Z-brush Character Creation by Scott Spencer". I would love to get some advice to know what I should concentrate on so I can learn basics and and work towards becoming very efficient in z-brush. Thanks

lion_front1.jpg

lion_side.jpg

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hi, welcome to polycount. keep it up, the more you do it, the better you get.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to PC. I used the same book to learn Zbrush; just keep working through it and you'll get better. My lion was pretty hideous, being my first sculpt and all.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oi,

My advice would be "dont be hasty"

Get a good look at technical aspects and get the basics down.
    And when building something, focus on the structure, shapes and looks.

Make sure to take a step back now and then, and really look for things you can still work on.
    How does this look, study it and compare it to what you are building.

If you learn how to shape things, build good proportions and learn how to criticise your own work, compare it, you will find it rewarding later on.

One thing you should not do, is gettin a stopwatch and try to work against the clock.
    Alot of people that start out think like "hey, they need to build this in 2 days and i take 2 weeks", when you start doing that, you will miss out on learning and eventualy take longer, they get these crazy oh gawd i cannot do this moments and freak out.

Take your time to dig into it, enjoy and ask alot.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Great work. You have created a very good base, that's the first step to a great model!

The 1 thing I think people don't do in Zbrush, and this is a VERY vital step: Make sure you get all the detail you can from your current subdivision level. Don't hop up to the highest subdivision you can and start sculpting. Things get blurry and 'cloudy' when you do this. You did a great job so far though, keep it up!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Posting on polycount is a great start, don't be afraid to post around and get a feel for what it takes to break into this industry.

My big question to you would be how passionate are you about the art side of games? The sooner you decide what you want to focus on the better, even if it doesn't work out, its best to realize you don't want to get serious about something sooner rather than later!

The lion's a good start, it'd be nice to see more of your artwork to see where you stand so you can start choosing a focus. Even if you decide you want to do art, you need to decide if you want to do fantasy, sci fi, character environment, etc.

Sorry if this sounds like a lot all at once, there's a lot a "noob" needs to think about. Being prepared to make these descisions and choosing a focus can help tremendously. If you try to get good at a lot of things all at once you may lose steam.

Anyway, keep throwing yourself against the wall. Work your arse off and keep comin' back for more!
  • Ewalton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your awesome keep up the good work and your welcome for the book! ha ha
  • Mettle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm fairly passionate about the art side of games but unfortunately do not have the skills needed for the 3D aspect of it. I do have some moderate background in 2D art, here is my blog for some examples "kightzeareau.wordpress.com". I think i really want to focus on character models but I do want to be able to create compositions for inanimate objects and landscapes. I agree I just need to throw myself against the wall and just work towards that goal. I'm no rush, I might as well learn it the right way the first time through.
    Thank you for all your advice.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to never take critisism personally, no matter how much time you put into it and no matter how much people thinks that the things you really love about your piece is "meh".

Also, don't compare your work with other work. This serves two very neat functions.

First of all, you will not be discouraged when you see the old dogs flourish. Secondly, when you move to their level you have a ticket to go beyond, and you will not get complacent.
  • Mettle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to try something after some the basics that I learned with lion head and decided to take a drawing I have done and I try to replicate in z-brush. By the end of it I definitely going to stick with Scott Spencers book first before trying anything to crazy. Theres still a lot for me to learn. I can see now that this program is definitely a lifetime of learning and constant to improve everytime you use it.

calliope_eyes_frame07.jpg

girl_front.jpg

girl_side.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    stylized / anime = bad imo if your learning. Focus on real anatomy. Master that, then move to your anime. Zbrush will not take you a life time to learn. Keep at it!
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^

You have to challenge yourself past your perceived skill level. The way how I learned was by 1. practicing of course but more importantly 2. study professional work and try and mimic their work flow and style then later do your own style.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Focus on the major forms first, then move onto smaller details.