Home Technical Talk

Modeling: Maya Vs. Max

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    anyone know how to fix the ribbon in 2011 ...it just broke on me, had to restart max after lunch due to a direct 3d failure and now its not working propperly most of the tabs are empty...it said there was a problem and do i want to reset to factory settings...but theyre just not there...was just getting used to the ribbon to0 :-(
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Does Maya have an inset function? I can't seem to find anything like Max or XSI's inset. Also, is there a way to tweak points along the surface normal?
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    j_bradford wrote: »
    Does Maya have an inset function? I can't seem to find anything like Max or XSI's inset. Also, is there a way to tweak points along the surface normal?

it's called offset. you can find it in the extrude options, or the transform component options if you want to apply it to a face that already exists.

regarding face normal, you could always pick the face normal you want to conform to, but that's always tricky depending on the transform you may or may not have baked on the object. Also, you could use the make live option if you want to conform to another object, sadly it doesn't work as a self live kind of thing.

for all of these, learn to use the marking menus to access all of it, it will change your life most probably :P
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford,

regarding moving points along surface normals, have a look at the move tool settings (double-click the tool):

maya-move-settings.jpg
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I'm making the transition to Max rather easily actually. One thing that bothers me though, is having to actually click in the viewport to activate it in order to zoom to full screen. Is there script or way around this besides that switcher program listed a few pages back that will allow me to alt+w fullscreen a viewport just by mousing over it... I'd rather not pay for something so meager.

One other thing. In Maya I never simply delete an edge by hitting the delete key because I've seen floating verts get left behind in older versions.. so I delete them by using the remove edge/vert command. Is there something similar in Max that removes the verts as well? 'Remove' function on an edge leaves the verts.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Progg, ctrl-backspace.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Bal wrote: »
    Progg, ctrl-backspace.

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Progg: The illusion catalyst tools have something that makes the viewport under the cursor active. It's a good all around package as well.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks greuh, that sort of works but it's not a true inset feature like Max or XSI. When you try performing this on something like an L-shaped group of faces, it doesn't bring everything in evenly (especially on corners).

wailingmonkey, is there is a certain checkbox I am looking for? I tried to find something in there, but nothing that would move the vertex along the surface. I asked one of our Maya guys about this, and the closest thing he showed me was to duplicate whatever object it was, make it live then move the vertexes around on the original object to have it snap to the live surface.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks greuh, that sort of works but it's not a true inset feature like Max or XSI. When you try performing this on something like an L-shaped group of faces, it doesn't bring everything in evenly (especially on corners).

yeah, most of the time it's hit or miss. A trick is to clean extra edges before applying the offset; distortion happens if an edge in between 2 corners is subdivided. It's backwards and stupid but it works, sort of...
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11

this is one thing about Max since I have been using it that I have really come to enjoy. So far to me it seems like Max is much more accurate in its bevels and extrusions. Inset is a great tool, I wish something behaved more like it in Maya.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not 100% on topic, but random max question... Is there really and truly no way to assign the Bridge tool in edit poly to a hotkey or menu?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    You have to do it via macroscript. I posted this question a little while ago, and pior posted a great little script that allows you to assign it to a hotkey.

The thread is here: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=72060
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Progg wrote: »
    One other thing. In Maya I never simply delete an edge by hitting the delete key because I've seen floating verts get left behind in older versions.. so I delete them by using the remove edge/vert command. Is there something similar in Max that removes the verts as well? 'Remove' function on an edge leaves the verts.

Its kinda weird, but this is how it works, not sure exactly why. If you assign a hotkey to the "remove" command, It will cleanly remove an edge with the accompanied vertices like maya. However if you click on the "remove" command in the side bar, it removes only the edge and leaves the verts. So usually I use the hotkey to cleanly remove edges, and occasionally I'll use the button when I don't want to remove the verts.

The other workaround is to selected the edges, ctrl click to switch to vertices, and then remove (might have to switch back to edge mode first, don't remember), and it will remove both.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Its kinda weird, but this is how it works, not sure exactly why. If you assign a hotkey to the "remove" command, It will cleanly remove an edge with the accompanied vertices like maya. However if you click on the "remove" command in the side bar, it removes only the edge and leaves the verts. So usually I use the hotkey to cleanly remove edges, and occasionally I'll use the button when I don't want to remove the verts.

The other workaround is to selected the edges, ctrl click to switch to vertices, and then remove (might have to switch back to edge mode first, don't remember), and it will remove both.

Yeah that is weird. I noticed that yesterday when I bound 'Remove'. Kind of funny actually. I really do enjoy some of the aspects of Max though, especially coming from a 5-6 year background in Maya. I love the accuracy of the tools... I guess would be the best description. Seems like everything is really precise no matter how strange the shape... i.e inset,bevel,chamfer. Even selecting loops and rings seems to be more precise. There's definitely a lot of nifty features... the modifier list is definitely a huge plus as history is maya was almost always destructive.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    where's the xsi love?

I've used them all, and XSI is by far the most capable robust toolset I've come across.

Everything in it just rocks. Everything from how the hotkeys are set up, to it's rendering tools, to it's awesome modeling tools. It's my favorite, and I don't know why more studious aren't getting on the band wagon.

I guess though, it's also the most different of them all, which makes newbs to it nervous.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    moof wrote: »
    where's the xsi love?

I've used them all, and XSI is by far the most capable robust toolset I've come across.

Everything in it just rocks. Everything from how the hotkeys are set up, to it's rendering tools, to it's awesome modeling tools. It's my favorite, and I don't know why more studious aren't getting on the band wagon.

I guess though, it's also the most different of them all, which makes newbs to it nervous.

Never used it :\
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    moof wrote: »
    where's the xsi love?

Probably because it is a Maya vs Max thread.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Just stick with what you hate less and look every now and then inside the other one. Just make sure your portfolio looks amazing - because that should be your entry card and not some specific experience in XYZ tool - at least thats what I think.

this

also, if i'm not mistaken, a lot of companies will get licenses for both tools, and offer their employees either or both