Home Technical Talk

Modeling: Maya Vs. Max

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
I assumed this would be something that was discussed pretty frequently, but was pretty disappointed with search in this forum and few others.

Basically, this is what I have come to understand.

Most companies/clients I've seen ask for experience in Maya, but most people who have a huge preference seem to follow Max. In other words, I know between Max, Maya, Blender, and XSI, the same eventual goal can eventually be reached. But as far as actual concrete preference, I seem to find a "once you go Max you never go back" kind of thinking. I haven't really heard too much of a following for Maya, but people that use it just use it because it's industry standard and the most expensive.

I am coming from blender, but most of what I do is simply character sculpting in Zbrush atm.

However, when it comes to sub-d or making the cages, I would definitely like something with a faster workflow and greater possibilities than blender.

Replies

• .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i disagree with the 'once you go Max you never go back' i started in max, and made the switch to Maya, and now i would never go back.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now, I currently am trying Maya, but find it to be less than impressive. All I have done is simple character cage, and trivial things as simple as vertex pushing seems to be incredibly uncomfortable.

My current problem list from early trials with Maya (could be 100% just my lack of experience with the program):

Axis almost immediately gets in the way of multiple-vertex selections. When I select one, if i want to select a vertex adjacent on a particular axis, the local axis is almost always in the way. It is incredibly annoying, and I either have to reselect or rotate the camera.

That leads to my next problem, that the box selection seems to indiscriminately select vertices behind the normals you are going for. This is very useful in a toggled sense, but I found no obvious way of toggling it to be "transparent" vs. visible. So when I could just box select vertices, I have to click them individually any time there are vertices behind (which is all the time).

Now that's it so far, all I've done is very very basic. I assume both of these problems are easily fixed, simply because they are so inhibiting i feel like it would double the average workflow time.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    There's ignore backfacing, you can size or hide the widget/axis. Lot of options in the Prefs, and even more options if you know some scripting, dig up some hidden commands. I'd never go back to Max, only if it was for work. I came from LW, went to Max, then to Maya. Soon as I find a spare $1000, I'm buying Modo if LW10 doesn't shape up to be awesome.

Learn the app, be the app.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi ralusek, why not just use the 3d app you are comfortable with, there are equal number of job opportunities for max and maya. To answer your original question my preference is maya, started in max went to maya to work at ea did that for 9 years, worked in max on my last game at ea and now I'm back in maya on my current game at a new studio. There are some great tools in max such as free-form transform manipulator and the spline extrusion stuff and the stack sometimes, but I'd never think of switching over all the workflows and muscle memory I've learned in maya would be thrown away and that would serve me no purpose.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya. thanks lamont, i figured there was an easy solution.

and these are interesting comments. since i'm at a sort of nexus where i could really pursue any of these, just trying to dig for the general feeling of the community.

DEElekgolo why?

@malcolm thanks man, i mean i know it's always a juggling act for whatever project you're working on, just don't want to regret which one i really start to dive into :D

what's completely mind boggling to me is that they are both autodesk owned. and i understand that every year they get more and more similar. that company has driven me crazy in the past, but it's just honestly ridiculous that they would keep two programs seperate, that do like 90% the same thing. you end up paying money for a fraction of a program
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not this crap again...

They're both tools, they do nearly the same things, take time to learn them both when you get a chance. If you don't you're handicapping yourself. Stick to whatever you like using, avoid talking trash about the other apps (unless its blender then its open season).
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Just stick with what you hate less and look every now and then inside the other one. Just make sure your portfolio looks amazing - because that should be your entry card and not some specific experience in XYZ tool - at least thats what I think.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs is right ... all my initial stuff was in Max, then our studio switched over to Maya, and now I can model the same stuff in either app. I still think Max is faster for highpoly and generally a tad more flexible but there's good and bad stuff in both programs, you just have to learn the fastest way round whatever. Basic meshes shouldn't take much time difference either way.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, thanks guys, pretty much continue confirming that "it doesn't matter." makes me more comfortable starting off with maya, because from what i hear it sounds like i'm going to be learning 3ds max regardless.

and Vig, i am well aware of the fact that they are both tools, but almost everyone has a preference. just because something is a tool doesn't mean it can't be inefficient, or cumbersome. tools can be preferred and always improved upon, and i'd be a frustrated carpenter if someone told me a hammer and a nailgun were both just tools for the same job (which is true).
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the sad truth is that booth max and Maya are outdated applications that need a heavy recode in their cores (and they are crazy overpriced as well)
    If I'd run a company myself I would seriously consider other alternatives such as Modo, Blender, XSI or hell even Sketchup.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    "i'd be a frustrated carpenter if someone told me a hammer and a nailgun were both just tools for the same job (which is true)."

haha.. I like that analogy
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Ive always used max, and if you stay ignorant of the other programs you can be pretty happy, my problem is my boyfriend uses maya and he always comes up behind me and says things like "you know in maya you can do that in like one step right?" and then I'm like why can't they put that awesome tool into max too. So yeah either way it doesn't matter but I think they both have some things the other users wish their program had too....like a separate function....or a decent outliner.

Oh and if someone knows of a function in max that is like separate in maya please tell me so I can go rub it in his face.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    They all kinda suck half of the time.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Fire can you describe what you mean by separate? Let's turn this thread into something useful at least!

And yeah Ralusek, pretty much anyone telling you 'they're just tools, they all do the same thing anyways' is likely to be an ignorant loud mouth who never tried more than one or two of them :P Not talking about you Vig. Mostly talking about poeple who just want to sound smart and all.

Anyways my point of view is, they are VERY different as soon as you start working on 5k+ tris models.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love XSI, it was always having big updates and overhauls, then it got bought up by autodesk, so now it'll be released yearly with minor changes until it becomes old and dated.

Still I love it, its like Maya but it actually works.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Ive always used max, and if you stay ignorant of the other programs you can be pretty happy, my problem is my boyfriend uses maya and he always comes up behind me and says things like "you know in maya you can do that in like one step right?" and then I'm like why can't they put that awesome tool into max too. So yeah either way it doesn't matter but I think they both have some things the other users wish their program had too....like a separate function....or a decent outliner.

Oh and if someone knows of a function in max that is like separate in maya please tell me so I can go rub it in his face.
    Select edges, break.
    If thats what you mean. Or you can chamfer the edges and click the checkbox that says "open"
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Select edges, break.
    If thats what you mean. Or you can chamfer the edges and click the checkbox that says "open"

I think Firecracker197 meant in maya the separate function will automatically separate meshes that aren't connected from each other (aka floating geo that's in one mesh).

I don't think there's a short cut in XSI to do it, but I normally just select a piece of the mesh I want to separate, "SHIFT"+"+" to expand my selection till it selects the whole piece geo (or multiple pieces), and then right click extract.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Some of the tools in Max I kind of miss since I switched to Maya. Specifically the Shell modifier, Connect tool (with edge pinch to get 2 edges same length across the edges, I realize that in Maya you can select the edge ring, edge ring tools, split edge ring, and adjust the "weight" in the inputs) but it's not the same. Also the chamfer edge tool would be nice, the bevel tool in Maya just fucking sucks since it produces tris everwhere and those mess up my smoothing a bit.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I've been using max since I first started and for straight up modeling it's far more manageable imo, especially for subd and very technical hard surface stuff. This is mainly because of the modifier stack, a completely non-destructive workflow that is easily accessible is a giant plus, and something that isn't readily available in maya or other apps.

There's so much more customization to be had with max as well. Loads of scripts, viewport shaders, plugins, etc. Polyboost alone is invaluable. Hell, look at Per's max 2009 clean setup, it's barely recognizable.

Personally when I spent a couple months trying to learn maya I found it super clunky and it just seemed ancient. Too many hidden menus and a big clunky interface, and I couldn't imagine sitting down and modeling subd stuff with it for hours on end.

But this is all just my personal experience and viewpoint, and you should always use what you like most yadda yadda yadda... but the real reason why you should use max...

It includes a dark color scheme... :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ralusek wrote: »
    ...However, when it comes to sub-d or making the cages, I would definitely like something with a faster workflow and greater possibilities than blender.

I found the workflow to be the fastest in blender when getting to sub-d modelling, but everyone finds his own.

the point to this is, you should look at yourself rather than your application when it comes to improving the workflow.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Racer445 wrote: »
    It includes a dark color scheme... :P

Damn, that is so true... One area where Max clearly wins over Maya.

My answer to this is usually: What can you learn more easily? If everyone you know uses max, go max and you have places to get help and vice versa. If you are learning, go with what is easiest to pick up and makes the most sense to you. Then once you have one under your belt it's easy enough to move to the other.

As someone who learned on Maya and ignorantly loved it for a few years, I would recommend Max. For simply modeling there's a lot of things to make your life easier. Out of the box it works a ton better than Maya. By now I have a mile long shelf and dozens of scripts to make Maya nicer to work with but it still lags behind when it comes to the destructive workflow, tools which require a lot of tweaking and busy interface.

Good luck.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    ceebee wrote: »
    Some of the tools in Max I kind of miss since I switched to Maya. Specifically the Shell modifier, Connect tool (with edge pinch to get 2 edges same length across the edges, I realize that in Maya you can select the edge ring, edge ring tools, split edge ring, and adjust the "weight" in the inputs) but it's not the same. Also the chamfer edge tool would be nice, the bevel tool in Maya just fucking sucks since it produces tris everwhere and those mess up my smoothing a bit.

Seriously, no Connect, no Chamfer in Maya? Those are like my most used tools when modeling. That together with Target Weld, which If I'm not mistaking, Maya also doesn't have? How about Cut with vertex snapping?
    Sounds like i shouldn't even bother trying ... I mean my entire modeling workflow is pretty much based on these!
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Seriously, no Connect, no Chamfer in Maya? Those are like my most used tools when modeling. That together with Target Weld, which If I'm not mistaking, Maya also doesn't have? How about Cut with vertex snapping?
    Sounds like i shouldn't even bother trying ... I mean my entire modeling workflow is pretty much based on these!
    of course does maya have all those. chamfer vertex, bevel edges, edge loops, etc.. sometimes they just have different names.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Another one here for XSI, love the selection tools, the way everything just works, just wish more studios would use it. I know of only two places in the UK that use it in game production.
    ZacD wrote: »
    I think Firecracker197 meant in maya the separate function will automatically separate meshes that aren't connected from each other (aka floating geo that's in one mesh).

I don't think there's a short cut in XSI to do it, but I normally just select a piece of the mesh I want to separate, "SHIFT"+"+" to expand my selection till it selects the whole piece geo (or multiple pieces), and then right click extract.

You can use 'Disconnect components' to create open edges.

At the end of the day, the all do the same, some just have better tools for doing certain things.
    You're only using a small portion of what the package can do anyways, unless it's being used for cinematic's or some baked physics.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    fade1 wrote: »
    of course does maya have all those. chamfer vertex, bevel edges, edge loops, etc.. sometimes they just have different names.

While "chamfer" is just "bevel" in Maya, it's true that Maya by default doesn't have a "Connect" function like Max (which is context sensitive and incredibly useful). It's like a faster version of the Split Polygon tool.

However Maya also has "insert Edge Loop" which Max doesn't have out of the box AFAIK. Both useful in their own right.

Xoliul: It's true that Maya doesn't have a target weld out of the box, however there are a few scripts for free which add this feature (i even wrote one, it's pretty easy). Also Maya's snapping in general is waaaaay nicer than Max's, vertex snapping in Maya is a breeze, it can almost be painful in Max sometimes.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16

i know that if u use group in max instead of attaching objects you can seperate it like maya too. but im not sure if you can seperate the mesh in one click for attached objects tho.

I got a question for maya users: does anyone know what is the equivalent of max align object based on pivot point in maya.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Don't think Maya as a true Align feature like Max out of the box.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »
    Xoliul: It's true that Maya doesn't have a target weld out of the box, however there are a few scripts for free which add this feature (i even wrote one, it's pretty easy). Also Maya's snapping in general is waaaaay nicer than Max's, vertex snapping in Maya is a breeze, it can almost be painful in Max sometimes.

Sorry for correcting, but maya has the "merge vertex tool". works similar to max. ;)
    i used to model with max, too, and together with polyboost it was really a great package. switching to maya modeling tools(i started with 7.0) was hard, but i use 2010 now, and i think there is almost everything you need right in the box. just very few extra scripts needed.
    one thing we always talk about here at work is that maya has all those features you need, but it's sometimes so hard to find them. i think it's just not so straighforward then max, but when take the time, you can model as fast as with any other package.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Both are good apps, but I prefer Max because it's more complete for modeling/texturing out of the box than Maya is (IMO). When I was learning Maya, I noticed a lot of the things I did in Max required at least twice as many steps, or were missing entirely. I had to augment the default Maya setup with tons of Melscripts in order for it to be productive. It just wasn't worth it to waste the time. Our animators used Maya for animation, since it is superior to max in that respect. But with max I can hit the ground running without the need for scripts. It's helpful when being a contractor, since I can start right away on tasks, then when I have some free time I can customize stuff more to my liking.

My slant towards Max is also because that's just what I'm used to. If I were a Maya user, the extra steps in the processes would be transparent to me and wouldn't matter. So it really depends on what app you started on. They're both good programs. In the end it's all about the user.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so to answer everyone's questions about what I meant, usually in Max I just group all my objects together, instead of having them all part of one mesh, but sometimes I run into the problem of needing them to be all in one mesh, and then for whatever reason I want to break them up again into different pieces. In maya there is a function you can use called "seperate" where it takes all the elements of your mesh and automaticly names them and makes them their own object. In max (that I know of) there is no way to do this automatically, you have to select the element..detach..name..select...detach...name...that can be a pain when you have like a million objects. I try and avoid having this problem as much as I can, but It would be nice to have this, and it doesn't seem like something hard to do. All the info is there, you just need something that will do it automatically.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Firecracker197: Yep, sounds like a very easy thing to script for Max. Probably just a few lines of code. I might look into that tonight if I get bored of L4D2 :)
    Hell, there's probably already one - have you checked scriptspot?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Firecracker197: Yep, sounds like a very easy thing to script for Max. Probably just a few lines of code. I might look into that tonight if I get bored of L4D2 :)
    Hell, there's probably already one - have you checked scriptspot?

Yeah I mean I probably could check, but I just thought it was one of those annoying things that should have already been put in max, I mean if they are gunna put out a new version every year why do I still have to get outside scripts for like the simplest things?? >_<
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this has become very specific.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    For modeling both are extremely similar in how they work; I think it really boils down to the individual because I hear people on both sides of the fence arguing which one is better. The apps outside of Maya and Max are where you really start to see a departure from typical workflow, such as Modo or XSI. I would honestly evaluate each one and choose from that what you think works best. On the modeling side a lot of studios are starting to allow you to model in your native app, so don't feel too confined in choosing. Where I work I model/UV 100% in XSI and import final work into Max. The transit time for bringing it over is a couple minutes.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like I can anticipate one of the new tools in IC.Shape 2.0. Anything to see a girl smile.

From MAXScript menu, create a New Script. Copy and paste following code, then from editor menu Tools choose Evaluate All. You'll find the command in Customize User Interface... under category IllusionCatalyst Tools, named IC.DetachElements. Works with Editable Polys and creates instances of Modifiers found in the Stack
    macroScript IC_DetachElements
    category:"IllusionCatalyst Tools"
    buttonText:"Detach Elements"
    tooltip:"IC.DetachElements"
    (
        function getRandomMaxColor =
        (
            local acMaxPalette = #(
                color 86 86 86, color 229 166 215, color 214 229 166, color 166 229 229,
                color 227 153 153, color 224 86 86, color 176 26 26, color 135 6 6,
                color 228 184 153, color 225 143 87, color 177 88 27, color 135 59 8,
                color 228 214 153, color 225 198 87, color 177 148 27, color 165 110 8,
                color 214 228 153, color 198 225 78, color 148 177 27, color 113 135 6,
                color 184 228 153, color 143 225 87, color 88 177 27, color 61 135 6,
                color 153 128 153, color 87 225 87, color 27 177 27, color 6 135 6,
                color 153 228 184, color 87 225 143, color 27 177 88, color 6 135 58,
                color 153 228 214, color 87 225 198, color 27 177 148, color 6 135 113,
                color 154 215 229, color 88 199 225, color 28 149 177, color 8 110 135,
                color 154 185 229, color 88 144 225, color 28 89 177, color 8 61 138,
                color 154 154 229, color 88 88 225, color 28 28 177, color 8 8 136,
                color 184 155 229, color 140 88 225, color 85 28 177, color 57 8 136,
                color 213 154 229, color 196 88 225, color 145 28 177, color 108 8 136,
                color 229 154 215, color 225 88 199, color 177 28 149, color 138 8 110,
                color 228 153 184, color 225 87 143, color 177 27 88, color 141 7 58)

return acMaxPalette[random 1 64]
        )

function detachElements instanceMods:true randomWire:true =
        (
            local theSelection = selection as Array

if (theSelection.count > 0) do
            (
                local iNumFacesLastElem = 0
                local baElemFaces = #{}
                local sName = ""

local theNewNode = undefined
                local theNewNodes = #()

undo on
                (
                    for theNode in theSelection where ((classOf theNode.baseObject) == Editable_Poly) do
                    (
                        if ( (polyOp.getNumFaces theNode.baseObject) != ((polyOp.getElementsUsingFace theNode.baseObject 1).numberSet) ) then
                        (
                            with redraw off
                            (
                                local baModViewStatus = #{}

for i = 1 to theNode.modifiers.count do
                                (
                                    if (theNode.modifiers[i].enabledInViews == true) do
                                    (
                                        baModViewStatus[i] = true
                                        theNode.modifiers[i].enabledInViews = false
                                    )
                                )

while ((polyOp.getNumFaces theNode) > 0) do
                                (
                                    if (keyboard.escPressed) do ( throw "**Esc Pressed**" )

baElemFaces = polyOp.getElementsUsingFace theNode.baseObject 1
                                    sName = uniqueName theNode.name

polyOp.detachFaces theNode baElemFaces delete:true asNode:true name:sName

theNewNode = (getNodeByName sName exact:true)

if (instanceMods == true) do
                                        for i = theNode.modifiers.count to 1 by -1 do
                                            addModifier theNewNode theNode.modifiers[i]

if (randomWire == true) do
                                        theNewNode.wireColor = getRandomMaxColor()

append theNewNodes theNewNode
                                )

for i = 1 to theNode.modifiers.count do
                                    theNode.modifiers[i].enabledInViews = baModViewStatus[i]

delete theNode
                            )
                        )
                    )

select theNewNodes
                )
            )
        )

on execute do
        (
            detachElements()
        )
    )

• Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    I feel like I can anticipate one of the new tools in IC.Shape 2.0. Anything to see a girl smile.

Oh your so nice! I'll load this up once I get home! I should complain on polycount more often ;)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 plays the "my boyfriend" card and gets all the help in the world :D. i'm just sticking around waiting for him to say that he's gay, and in fact, not a girl.

anyway, thank you a lot for all the input. bottom line: if i'm serious, i will learn both. i just thought i could get an answer regarding which one is better to have as a "home" program that i'm most comfortable with. however, everyone is still pretty divided, so i'm just going to continue with maya for now
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'll take maya over max just for the sensible viewport controls.
    you'd think they'd let you choose how you wanted them to work by now, modo can manage to do it
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    Firecracker197 plays the "my boyfriend" card and gets all the help in the world :D. i'm just sticking around waiting for him to say that he's gay, and in fact, not a girl.

Excuse me? I am in fact very much a girl.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    i'll take maya over max just for the sensible viewport controls.
    you'd think they'd let you choose how you wanted them to work by now, modo can manage to do it
    Switcher enables Maya viewport controls in 3dsmax along with bunch of other familiar things.

I haven't tried but can you switch viewport nav in Maya? I've always just gone with default and adjusted fine after a few min but would be cool to be able to change it around.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    don't think you can vig, but i still use 8.5, might have been added in a later version
    if i had to switch, probably would use switcher, alt+mouse button makes far more sense than ctrl+alt+f12+alt137+lmb
    it's such a basic thing too, screw you autodesk
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, still can't switch it in maya Vig. i have used switcher in the past for max, and at the time, it worked wonders for me because i was so used to maya navigation... but now, like Vig, if i switch between the two, it just takes a minute to get used to it... but if you need to, that switcher is more than worth the $50
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    started in max years ago, swapped to maya, loved/loathed it swapped back due to changing jobs, love loath max,

I hate maxs selection tool when navigating a complex scene, its rubbish it will often select something behind the camera rather than something just infront of, aaaagh
    BUT it does have an attach that doesnt break object properties which is great

I hate the way max stores geometry, it makes it alot harder/impossible to create certain scripts, means you have to use smoothing groups and editing normals is very unreliable.......BUT it does mean you can throw alot more polies around

I hated mayas UI untill i got used to it and configured it to my liking at which point i loved it, I liked Maxes cos i could find stuff easily, but i hate it because its tooo rigid.

the world is full of contradictions and HATE revel
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    oh sweet baby jesus.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    don't think you can vig, but i still use 8.5, might have been added in a later version
    if i had to switch, probably would use switcher, alt+mouse button makes far more sense than ctrl+alt+f12+alt137+lmb
    it's such a basic thing too, screw you autodesk
    Well duh you should be using the ever so clever View Cube and Steering Wheel for all of your navigation needs. Nothing says successfully unified viewport navigation than a crazy 3rd method everyone hates!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    its simple:
    if you can handle shortcuts -> maya
    if youre too dumb for shortcuts (me) max

if you can customize your shortcuts to your preference you can go for both
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Everyone say your a girl so we can get a new 3d app to argue about!
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started with Maya about 2 years ago and I became a very proficient user of it. For the last 3 months I have been forced to learn Max and use it intensively. I still like Maya a lot better. It's just way less chaotic than Max and I really like the hierarchy system of Maya. It works a lot cleaner. Everything is right where it should be. I especially like Maya when it comes to shortcuts and 'floating' menu's. It also works a lot faster than Max in that respect.

However I also like Max and have no problem using it.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I've been dabbling in max since it was DOS based way back in like 1996 or something! then stopped mucking around for about 5 years when I was in the 'hot chicks and fast cars' stage of youth - then went back to school and learned a bit of both - I use max for pretty much everything, though I remember doing some modelling in Maya and found them to be same same really.

Though, my mate whose a senior animator over at quantic dream absolutely swears by using maya for rigging / animation - having worked on the driver series of games for 1 - 2 and 3 with maya, and then our last project together in max - having a taste of the development pipeline in both apps, hes a strong advocate for Maya - rigging / animation.