Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quick and Dirty WoW shield - Video

Made a little tutorial, entire process real time was 2hours. Condensed to 10 minutes. I'm still a newb, so tell me what I did wrong during my process.
Things i noticed i did wrong:
-Specular map isn't black and white
-Shouldn't have used the compressed jpeg version of shield image for the texture

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To6PCORc8PE[/ame]

Replies

• Sylver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting work. I don't think blizz makes their armor that cartoon-esque, but its definitely their design style and work process; they probably make the stuff in that amount of time too. Very interesting.

I've only begun to experiment with specularity myself so seeing this is very helpful :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    shouldn't paint on a white background, it makes seeing your values more difficult
    i've tried to texture in painter, it just made it more difficult to control my texture...
    should have started with a strip rather than a face. you should watch your video and think of better ways you should have approached modeling stuff. be it the way you selected faces or your approach to building something. in the future, when having to make something like it, you'll have a better idea of what to do. you create then delete a lot while modeling.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Kp, I think the reason why he tackled stuff that way is because, that's the only way for maya do perform (seamless) realtime symmetry :P I know it sounds like a joke but it's true - it only works with selection and transforms, not with geometry/topology edits. But yeah I agree.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Maaaaayyyyaaaaaaa! *shakes fist*
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i get a "this video blablabla copyright blablabla not viewable"
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    kopier den link und geh auf btunnel.com, klappt ;)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah lol, i forgot to mention, because of the song Shostakovitch symphony number 9 finale its apparently banned in Germany. That's what they emailed me anyways. But i think they screwed up, because when i click the buy this on iTunes ad they attached, it takes me to a Leonard Bernstein album.

Thanks for the crits btw,

so, is autodesk going to add symmetry that includes extruding and topology changes in the next version maybe? I'm still a little confused why 1 company that makes 2 very similar products still puts that much money out,

why don't they just drop maya, and release 3dsmax only with a maya skin/control scheme/naming conventions

probably save a fuckton of money,