Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Development Dilemma - ZP Contest

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
The Zero Punctuation game design contest is over, and the results are finally out. Unfortunately, my entry did not place :(

I would still like to get some feedback on it though.

Development Dilemma

I apologize for the log-in requirements. But since the game uses copyright material owned by The Escapist, I can't post the game anywhere else.

Be sure to check out some of the other flash games that were submitted. The Zero Punctuation review of the winning entry will be up tomorrow. (Wednesday, Nov 18th)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lol, the story was worth a laugh or 2, writing could use a bit more work. I wish you would of had enter or space be used to go the the next text blurb for quicker readers that get bored.

you should of done the boss battles from those games, not the boring parts, and made the game-play faster pace.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having problems getting past the initial load bar in any of my browsers. Firefox fills all the way up and then stops, Opera has gotten half way though and stalled and Explorer just loads the empty box and gives up.

EDIT: Ah, I see. So you have to reload it 4 times before is works. Is that a puzzle?

It's kinda cute for a quick game that sets out to be mediocre from the beginning. Perhaps carrying a bit more humour through into the gameplay sections might have helped the thing feel a bit more coalescent.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    The gameplay was a bit generic, maybe that was the point but, playing old games with Yahtzee graphics.

There was nothing special about it, it wasnt bad, but it wasnt that great either, middling.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forcing the user to log-in to the Escapist message boards was annoying. I have posted the game on my own site, so that people can sample it without such distractions. The link to the game at the top of this thread has been updated to point there.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. This is the first real game project that I've ever worked on. (and completed, if you can call it complete) I'm grateful to those who have already posted. But I would really benefit from more than just three comments. The comments I've gotten on the Escapist boards aren't nearly as insightful as the kind of advice you usually see here on polycount.

And again, the link to the game at the top of the thread now goes to my personal page, and takes you directly to the game with no logging-in crap.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Well I wouldn't be too bummed out about not placing, can't really expect to win contests with your first completed game project such as this, really. Always nice to hope, but practice is great nonetheless.

It's not a bad game. I do wish you'd had a "next" button for fast readers who want to get through the dialogue. The dialogue itself could use some work, the writing isn't bad but it could stand to be less generic. I also feel like it's humor needs more of an edge to it, for example - within the first 10 seconds of the opening when the guy's laughing "Ha ha ha!" He just tilts his stoic looking head back, he could stand to open up his mouth real wide all ridiculous like they tend to do with photo-heads in flash games.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    heh. Not bad man. Tho i agree on faster pacing would've helped things out a bit... better yet you could've made text stop once it's appeared then have a flashing x button with 'next' or 'continue' written next to it, allowing the player to progress the text at their own pace.

I did like the throw back to zelda, and the other games were fun, tho a little limited (not sure what else you could add to it honestly, limited time wouldn't have helped either).
    And some voice acting would've been sweet but understandably not as easy to do (i doubt yahtzee would be willing to voice act over however many games were made for this thing :\). Would've added heaps more to the story bits of the game.

Anyway, game played well which was good and there was a cool variety of basic gameplay... things. Good job overall tho, and defo good practice if you plan to do more full flash projects.