Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bot Bike

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
Just a weekend model.. Wires are just base, can't put the smooths on or my home computer will explode. =(

BotBike_renders01.jpg

BotBike_wires01.jpg

New Finals:

BotBike_MR01.jpg

BotBike_MR02.jpg

BotBike_MR03.jpg

BotBike_MR04.jpg

Replies

• Pearson
    Nice work!

The one thing that bugs me is that it's hard to tell that the shocks are more than just springs. If you put a silver shader on the piston, I think that would fix it.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Kickass, your high poly pieces are definitely inspirational. Keep it up man.
  • bounchfx
    my mind, you blew it.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I prefer non-smoothed wires anyway. Very cool man. :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very well made Im not a fan of the fat bent over tailend but thats just a matter of personal taste
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Hot!

I especially love the engine details, the ribcage housing and manifold are both super awesome
  • woogity
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Jesus, how many exhausts do you need?! Love it man, the rendering angles compliment v. nicely :)
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    sweeeet. cool design and great presentation.
  • dolemite
    yeh great model!

What concept are you working from? Or are you just buliding it straight up from your mind?
  • Mechadus
    Holy hell - I LOVE it! The break rotors contained within the wheels are just bad-ass concept and the exhaust is just wonderful. I think it could benefit from some evil looking bumpers / brush guards over the wheels tho - like in whichever bond movie that was....

Seriously great work tho.
  • Rens
    Damn Artem,

Your rendering, presentation, modeling ect.. \o/
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Why didn't the terminator bikes look like this?

Though I'm not totally sold on the practicality of sitting on that thing with all those fucked up thick, twisty cables in the way ;]
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, awesome render !
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    your work is always a huge inspiration

fantastic
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    This is probably a stupid question but how does the engine get its power to the weels ?
    I love the concept though :) (and render )
  • Ibi
    sweet mother of babylon that is awsome!
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet :D

and gah, your pc sounds like mine, being unable to push high poly stuff really far :S
    Still awesome though, doesn't matter about the wires ;)
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Bot Bike? Now you're just making excuses not to make a bike that looks useful for a normal human being. Even while it's not made for humans...I still question how the bike sets itself upright when not moving. Where are the rollers for that? Also, the front forks appear unable to turn the bike. And if there is not a rider to shield from the elements, why a windshield? Those low hanging cables are in a position to take damage if the bike goes into a lean. Etc.

You have great technique as a modeler, which I guess it what you want to hear. But again, your designs are a complete disaster in the area of practicality.

Study the major basic components of a motorcycles contruction...LIKE A SWINGARM!...(how is that rear wheel held in place?!?!)...and build from there. What you have is a pile of cool looking shapes that somewhat resemble a motorcycle, but could never actually be used in any realistic scenario.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Elysium - OUCH! oooh that smarts.....

X-convict - ...loooooks great, and i hate to agree w/ elysium, but yes it looks nice in visuals and aesthetics - your're a bloody awesome modeler (better than me) but i does lack in the 'functional and practical' approach (despite the fact that its a non-existent robot bike).

then again you could say that it is powered by magic and it self turns via that ....
  • Bjoz
    I think it looks incredible! It has a very organic feeling to the design and I like that, good work.
  • X-Convict
    Offline / Send Message
    Pearson - You're right, I've been playing with some materials but it's taking forever, so I may not devote anymore time to this. Thanks!

Kaburan - Thanks! That's awesome to hear :)

Bounchfx - Thanks man!

Junkie_XL - Yeah I usually do too, glad you liked it :)

Ged - I can see that, I probably could have made it flow more with the broader details. Thanks for the feedback.

Dan - Thanks man! Ribs ftw! :D

Woogity - Thank you!

GCMP - You can never have enough! Thanks!

Jay Evans - Thanks man, glad you like the presentation - I try to keep it interesting :)

Dolemite - Thank you! Just building from the mind but I have seen Salvation and that kind of inspired me to make something roboty.

Mechadus - Yep totally evil looking bumpers/guards would have pushed it a bit more. I forgot why I didn't do those but good call!

Rens - Thanks man!

RazorBladder - Yeah it's not intended for humans but if they tried I'm sure it would hurt :)

Chai - Thanks!

Autocon - That's always awesome to hear! Thank you.

Kharn - It's little jet engine powered! Hah, no real answer for you unfortunately - just wanted to make it absurd and cool looking. Thank you for the comment.

Ibi - Thanks!

Electro - Yeah man, I gotta make a new machine now that windows7 is out so I can work more comfortably at home.

ElysiumGX - Bot bike is what I called my max file, not an excuse :) I completely understand where you're coming from - but that was not the purpose of this model. It was a weekend limited time asset and wasn't intended to go further than something that looks cool and is different than what people have seen - and a flex of creativity for myself. If I wanted to go further with this I would make it very functional and do what you've said. I do this stuff everyday though, so when I have a little spare time to devote to what I'd like to work on, I may just want to go nuts.

Additionally - it is still art and an interesting piece so I feel like I accomplished what I wanted. Hope that helps you understand how I approached this.

Achmedthesnake - Thanks! Yep, it's got some issues but ^ explained what my intention was for it.. Plus, it's powered by magic robotics ;)

Bjoz - Thank you! That's what I was aiming for - an interesting blend between both.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I guess you guys already went over how unpractical it is, no power to wheels, no steering, no weight shifting to lean the bike, all of those would of make this piece cooler IMO. Looks good though.
  • AnimeAngel
    Awesome work man! nice clean surfaces, the colors remind of a buell my friend has
  • Sean VanGorder
    I'm pretty sure the sheer visual epicness of this bike would render all impracticalities meaningless.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    This is how I would ride this bike.
    bikebot.jpg
  • Dippndots
    really awesome work man, reminds me of the car model you did with all the engine details, especially that exhaust manifold you have on there.

your cables and piping are always super sick and really clean.

If i could crit anything it probably be that the orange lights at the rear look a little too solid and not as transparent as the glass in the front

keep it up!
  • X-Convict
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD - I agree I'm sure that they would only add to the bike in a positive way.

AnimeAngel - Thanks! Buells are sweet!

Sxe Seany - Hah! Awesome! Thanks man.

Cody - Lol, touche.

Dippndots - Thanks man, I appreciate it! I made new renders (below) that may help differentiate those rear cover spots. - OH also - badass avatar man! ;)

So I've been trying to make nice renders the last few days but computer lock ups and extremely long render times (8 hours 50%? No thx) - So here are med-quality ones. Finals for this model. Hopefully have some cooler stuff soon.

BotBike_MR01.jpg

BotBike_MR02.jpg

BotBike_MR03.jpg

BotBike_MR04.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet renders man. :thumbup:
    You gotta break down for us what those new settings are like your old tuts.

edit: of course if you don't want to share your secrets I understand... :poly124:
  • Dippndots
    /agree sick finals, shame about the computer issues though.

when you said this was a weekend project did you mean that you did this whole thing last weekend
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I too would love to see a breakdown of the green/grey paint material! great work!
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    this is awesome!!

I would do a dirt and scratch pass on it to make it look used.
  • frubes
    Whats your render/lighting/system setup like X-Convict? 8 hours seems a very very long time for such low res renders. I wouldn't really want to go over 10 minutes for a 720p render and i think you could still improve on the qaulity of the materials and lighting.

Nice modelling though, good stuff.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    X-Convict wrote: »
    ElysiumGX - If I wanted to go further with this I would make it very functional and do what you've said. I do this stuff everyday though, so when I have a little spare time to devote to what I'd like to work on, I may just want to go nuts.

I can understand that. It's a great model from a creative standpoint. And the technique is amazing. These new renders look great.

I just had to point out what is obvious since no one else had yet. To someone who spends time riding motorcycles, all the flaws are very apparent. To anyone else, it's very shiny. If you were to next design a very sleek Bugatti with fully detailed interior, but forgot the steering wheel, everyone would spot it.

So, since motorcycles appear to be your interest (I remember your last one), I strongly urge you to spend some time studying the basic components of all motorcycles. They're very simple. Buells are a good starting point. And then, when you have another quick weekend to throw parts together, you'll have a stronger piece of work.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hate to sound mean, but I have to agree with Elysium. I've taken bikes completely apart so I now how they work, and the technical impossibilities (is that spelled correctly?) are keeping me from fully appreciating this model.
    It's things like, you seem to have a normal combustion engine in there with no drivetrain to the rear wheel, but then it's got rocket exhausts/nozzles. The rear wheel suspension would break instantly due tot total lack of swingarm. And brake calipers inside the rims would never work since hydraulic cables can't reach it.

Good modeling though, I wouldn't be able to do something so fast. I do prefer your first renderstyle over the latest shots.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome! I don't know anything about bikes, but I look at it and see a cool machine.

As for the render, 8 hours? really? Are you still doing shadow casting from your skylight instead of light tracer? That may have something to do with it. Casting shadows from skylights is insanely slow, even on simple scenes. You can get 90% of the way there with light tracer, and that even has color bleeding and bounces.
  • EarthQuake
    Maybe give modo a try for renders? I get pissy when my modo renders take more than 20 minutes(with a similar render setup as yours)
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Wait just a god damn minute; how the hell is it even remotely ok to bitch and moan about technical functionality issues on this bike when at any other time for any other person on any other model you are the same motherfuckers who shit their pants for 10 pages preaching "cool is more important than practical."

This kind of hypocrisy is baffling.

The new renders look awesome btw, the materials as always really show how clean the geo and lines are in the model, great work. Adding a real beefy belt encased drive chain that looked almost like the bullet feeding belts for miniguns on jets and helicopters could be cool.

Seeing as how this bike is all future-y, it's easy enough to play the polycount game and reason the brakes - electro-magnetic calipers with extremely short range shielded and encrypted wireless communication to the central AI center of the bike allows them to be controlled quickly and efficiently by the sensors on the tires that detect any loss of traction or surface change.

As for the lack of a swing arm? They became obsolete when new poly-carbonate and synthetic spider silk weaves were introduced with unbelievable flexibility and strength.

Hmm...oh the games we play at Polycounts...
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Art is based off reality. Carrying a big sword is cool as long as the sword looks functional (it wont break under its own weight)
  • X-Convict
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry should have clarified - these are NOT the 8 hour renders, they were much better quality but I could not afford to spend that time on them. These took 30min-1hour a piece.

Slum/frubes - Using Mental Ray with custom settings for quicker renders with sacrifice in some spots for quality. So I did get it down quite a bit, and am ok with how they turned out.

Dippndots - Yep, this was 2 days modeling and 1 day rendering.

Xaltar - Thanks man! I wanted to, could just do it in PS too.

Junkie, ferian - If I get some time I'll try to do some break downs but these are mental ray materials so I may try to do a standard max scanline translation if people are more comfortable with the standard max material library.

ElysiumGX, Xoliul - I appreciate the feedback, it's good to hear people's thoughts on this. You guys may be knowledgable about motorcycles but they are not really my interest, and it was not my intention to make a real world production bike. I like the forms and thought the blend makes a cool piece. Again, thanks for your thoughts on it.

EQ - 20min would be great. Still meaning to try Modo - one of these days.

Sandbag - Yes! Of course, the synthetic spider silk weaves have helped tremendously in strength, it's the new carbon fiber - everyone's doing it!

I was actually planning on adding miniguns/assault cannons on this thing - I'll have to do some variations later on for that thing I was talking about :D
  • dolemite
    I worked on a motorcycle for 1 hour once before giving up because it was too complicated.

this bike looks totally believable to me.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    ZacD wrote: »
    Art is based off reality. Carrying a big sword is cool as long as the sword looks functional (it wont break under its own weight)

That's bollocks; the bigger the better! hurrr...

But seriously, in nearly all cases of game art we can simply say Wizard did it, or Technology did it. I think people who know bikes well are the ones complaining here - lets not let your love of one subject devalue your love of another.
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    I would definitely buy that sorta of motorbike... NOW. I want it.
  • KazuyaMochu
    I would definetly drive that if I knew how!
    awesome design and execution!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • thatnumpty
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Wait just a god damn minute; how the hell is it even remotely ok to bitch and moan about technical functionality issues on this bike when at any other time for any other person on any other model you are the same motherfuckers who shit their pants for 10 pages preaching "cool is more important than practical."

This kind of hypocrisy is baffling.

The new renders look awesome btw, the materials as always really show how clean the geo and lines are in the model, great work. Adding a real beefy belt encased drive chain that looked almost like the bullet feeding belts for miniguns on jets and helicopters could be cool.

Seeing as how this bike is all future-y, it's easy enough to play the polycount game and reason the brakes - electro-magnetic calipers with extremely short range shielded and encrypted wireless communication to the central AI center of the bike allows them to be controlled quickly and efficiently by the sensors on the tires that detect any loss of traction or surface change.

As for the lack of a swing arm? They became obsolete when new poly-carbonate and synthetic spider silk weaves were introduced with unbelievable flexibility and strength.

Hmm...oh the games we play at Polycounts...

dude chill. everyone thinks the model is great except for 2 people that actually know about bikes.
  • Ancient-Pig
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    A weekend model? Damn - well done!
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    dude thats an awesome model

i love it!
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah definitely dude, awesome shizznit. Would look soo cool as a game mesh XD next weekend? :D