Home Technical Talk

Looping UV's over the borders

Is it possible to push Uv's of one end of the uv border and have them start coming through on the other?

loopedUV.jpg

Sometimes in zbrush if your uvs are too close to the border and you use fixseam setting, it'll push pixel from the bottom of the uvs through so they begin coming in from the top. I was wondering if this is possible in 3dsmax as a way of eliminating the most texture seams possible while limiting distortion (because this method would allow you so stitch verts together that would otherwise be impossible)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You simply push them out, you cannot really 'weld' them but you can totally snap them perfectly. As a matter of fact I have never seen a 3d app showing a visual representation of them 'looping' on the other side but if you do push them accross they will, even if not shown.

Let us know how it goes!
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input.

hmm..no way to weld them eh? not sure just pushing them over will do the trick of removing the seams. visible seams are a result of there being two uv vertices on the same space on the model yes? i figured the only solve was to weld as many points together as possible.

well it would be a great software package to develop, a program capable of welding looped UVs, especially for normal mapping purposes, you could potentially depending on how the template was formatted, remove all (or nearly all ) the seams.

seems like it should be possible, i mean if the uv loops and you can indeed texture that space that means that the software is in fact aware of those uvs...so really there's no logical reason they can't be welded, we're just not being given the whole picture.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    that's why i said 'snapped' :P

Just do it bro!
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure it is a lot more complicated than that... I believe what Max does is tile the textures in every direction to catch anything outside of the given block.

I'll look through some settings and stuff but I'm pretty sure that would create more problems than it would fix.

Edit: Yea there isn't anything that loops the uvs around in default max.
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...hell i can't even get them to snap...midas well see if i can get any more traditional solutions for my problem...that and actually explain my problem.
    i typically polypaint my textures, and i rarely bake them and most people that do hand painted diffuse textures seem to be able to get away with cutting their uvs into like 30 pieces and somehow they manage to keep the seams invisible, even though they're technically everywhere.
    slipgatecentral is a good example (amazing artist, i'm especially fond of his projection painted lowpoly models...if you google him his livejournal comes up pretty fast and he has video tuts some illustrating his actual uv layout.) his uvs are cut into lots of pieces yet i've only been able to spot one seam on any of his models... ever.
    i polypaint and when i unwrap my uv's, i use 3dsmax's pelt mapping and relax dialouges to get all the uv's projecting squarely,then i weld the pieces together as to minimize any seams (typically the uvs and up like a bear skin rug,all on big piece). and even though i paint on the model which is supposed to be a way of not having to mind the seams, the seam areas have a very obvious split, not in color or anything, just a bizzare shifted look.
    my guess is that the pixels are angled slightly different on one side of the models uvs from the other or maybe they are scaled slightly different but i'm not sure what to do about it.
    is there a method of insuring that the model has the same pixel ratio throughout it's uvs or a way of gauranteeing the all share the exact same alignment?