Home General Discussion

Who's the original artist on this piece? (Possible plagiarism?)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Browsing some portfolios as of late I noticed something and wanted to bring it up.

Sean Binder's portfolio piece. I assume its from Deadly Creatures, since the other guys' portfolio says so:

http://www.seanbinder.com/desertScorpionPage.html

Samuel Howard's portfolio piece. Click Portfolio at the top, its a flash based portfolio (ugh).

http://www.artofsamhoward.com/index2.php

While it is just a Scorpion model, letting someone get away with this sort of thing is bad for business.

So - anyone know these guys? What the hell is going on?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, alright..

Sean's Black Widow: http://www.seanbinder.com/blackWidowPage.html

Samuel's Black Wido: http://www.artofsamhoward.com/index2.php (Click Portfolio, Make sure its on Deadliest Creatures, click NEXT > until you get the Black Widow).

EDIT: The Gila monsters too? The fuuuuuuck..

holmes1.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sean Binder is a character artist at Raven. Both of those guys worked at Rainbow studios.

So I'm not sure what's going on. I've heard of people forgetting who did what on a project and accidentally claiming work as their own... as you know, things can get crazy during crunch and you can forget what you worked on. Though a whole character (edit: or two!) is a bit hard to believe.

Or maybe one guy did a little work on it, and the other guy did 90% and there's just a miscommunication on each portfolio as to the extent of the work done.

Third option, one of them is full of shite and not being honest.

I have no idea though, just a guess.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yea, hmm. I don't know about that 'forget what you worked on' malarkey. I sure as hell know what I have and have not created.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wow thats odd. did they possibly become one person? sean howard?

the only thing I can think of is that they both worked on them.. maybe one was the modeler one was the texture artist. it's odd that they both have such detailed views but I guess it can be pulled off fairly easily..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah possibly they both worked on those assets? and just agreed to both use them in folios?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Then where's the credit? At the very least crediting 'other artist(s) at company BLAH'.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Or maybe one guy did a little work on it, and the other guy did 90% and there's just a miscommunication on each portfolio as to the extent of the work done.

(quoting myself) I think that's the most likely scenario. I said myself I didn't really buy the 'not knowing' thing. Just trying to offer up some even remotely reasonable ideas since they worked at the same studio.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Slum wrote: »
    (quoting myself) I think that's the most likely scenario. I said myself I didn't really buy the 'not knowing' thing. Just trying to offer up some even remotely reasonable ideas since they worked at the same studio.

Its not the case. Sean did the whole thing. He's going to post here soon...to set the record straight.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, thanks for getting the info Geoff.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    *goes to make popcorn*
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CATFIIIGHT!!!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I have talked about this with Sean for a few days now and told him to post it up and let it be known.

I know about the discussions between Sean and Sam and can say that the Sam doesn't seem to be very reasonable or even care about the issues presented.

It's pretty easy to see that the models on Seans are a bit higher in polygon counts then Sams and the texture / uv layouts are exacts. You can see in some of Seans texture sheets there is some more detail that is not in the to others and when you look at the others you can see it's just been painted over with a flat color.

So my guess and take on the whole thing. After Sean left Rainbow they did some revisions to the textures and optimized the meshes.

That's fine. That happens everywhere BUT you don't claim a mesh you optimized as your own work and not credit the original artist. That is just messed up and a big no no.
  • getSumNotAll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getSumNotAll polycounter lvl 7
    Agreed,
    where is the credit,....
    or ..at the very least, mention that you contributed to a model/texture that another artist has completed, And bulletpoint exactly what you did.
    For instance,...
    1.If you remove every other edge span on a model to reduce the poly count, you can not claim that you modeled it completely. What you have successfully done is> optimized it.
    2.If you adjust the hugh/ sat , brightness contrast of a texture, you can not claim you painted it from scratch. What you have successfully done is> Color corrected it.

Sorry this has to be my very first post on Polycount.
    These are all mine.
    100%

http://www.seanbinder.com/deadlyCreaturesGallery.html
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I see Samuel Howard used to work at Incognito. All I know Is I use to be on South Temple right by the Incognito studios and The Incognito guys would be walking to lunch all in Black Letterman's Jackets that said "Incognito" they were like the game developer equivalent of the Cobra Kai. And they had a cute hr lady named Angelique or somthing that gave me the run around for months lol.

Oh and kick ass models Sean. Welcome to Polycount!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Sean, thanks for registering and posting. Very interesting, to say the least. It would be nice if Samuel posted his side of the story? Anyone know him enough to show him this thread?
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, it's always lame when someone tries to steal credit for someone elses hard work... I hang my head in shame at that foo!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your deadly creature work Sean, especially the spider. Thanks for clearing up the confusion too.
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    The Incognito guys would be walking to lunch all in Black Letterman's Jackets that said "Incognito" they were like the game developer equivalent of the Cobra Kai.

lol! having watched karate kid recently that made me laugh.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I see Samuel Howard used to work at Incognito. All I know Is I use to be on South Temple right by the Incognito studios and The Incognito guys would be walking to lunch all in Black Letterman's Jackets that said "Incognito" they were like the game developer equivalent of the Cobra Kai.

HA! I know just what you mean. I didn't know you worked for Wahoo, I worked down the hall from them for a few years. Awesome bunch of guys.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    I sure as hell know what I have and have not created.

Would you call a level that you placed assets created by others in, yours?

Be careful opening a can of worms thread like this.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its like that movie, "The One" where jet li kills all the other jet li's so he can become the ultimate jet li, but he's already jet li. And then the good Jet Li and the bad Jet Li have to fight each other and they're like "give mea ten dorrah!" and the good Jet Li is like "No, roo bad man!" and then, and then, and then... sigh.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    its like that movie....

No, it isn't.

Great work on the creatures, Sean. I actually think the Gila Monster is my favorite.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »

No, but he would probably state what he did and didn't do... As would just about anyone who is a productive member of the game artist community, who wishes to stay in good standing with his brethren.

douche bag thievery shouldn't be tolerated. I'd really like to read an explanation...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

haha, would someone really just forget to mention that their position was level designer? Come on, be realistic.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    you're both liars. I made all that stuff yesterday.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Interesting...

michael%20jackson%20gif.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

Liam - what?

"Blah & blah created by me. X% of props and textures created by [name, company name, etc]"

A large difference of crediting full environments that you've contributed to AND dressed yourself vs. individual art assets (like a scorpion) is that a handful of artists could have worked on a handful of props. So keeping it general, as I do, offers a chance for others to inquire about what is your work versus others. (Removing the pain in the ass of listing every prop & every artist while still making it clear its not all entirely yours). And so long as you're 100% honest, it works out great :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    glib, that's not a can of worms, that's not being clear!

If you placed other people's art assets to make a level, then you say you designed the level, and used <insert specific names of assets> created by <insert names of people>. It's pretty easy...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MoP wrote: »
    glib, that's not a can of worms, that's not being clear!

If you placed other people's art assets to make a level, then you say you designed the level, and used <insert specific names of assets> created by <insert names of people>. It's pretty easy...

Er, I wouldn't write that out. A lot of people can touch a lot of props. IMO keeping it general (see above) allows you to talk about the scene so you can point out what your tasks on it were, and which artwork is not yours specifically.

Or, you can work through the headache and do this on every image:

Scene dress by: Dick McArtist
    Prop 1: Teddy L'Craux
    Prop 2: Blah de Blah
    Prop 3: Blah MacBlah
    Prop 4...
    Prop 5...
    Prop 6...
    Prop 7...

..head explode.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    to be honest, looking at the quality of his other work, he seems pretty solid, he doesnt seem to need to steal to prove his "skills". im sure they both worked on all those assets.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I've optimized a shitton of content, and done some texture passes, but it would be strange to put those in my portfolio as my own work.

even if you dont feel like crediting a hundred persons working on a mega epic scene, atleast mention what you did do on that scene.
  • getSumNotAll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh,carlo c,8ftSpider,> thnx, glad you like the work,
    johnny raptor> Let me just clarify,All the work posted on my site, is done entirely by me about 2 years ago while I was employed at rainbow and on the deadly creatures team. Now in a 1-2 year time span things change and models are optimized color corrected etc. etc. This is understood. So if by
    "im sure they both worked on all those assets." You mean that the models shipped in game were worked on by both of us, ...then yes, you are correct.
    The Issue I see is that the models hes showing WERE WORKED ON BY BOTH OF US. So I simply request he state exactly what he did and make it clear . The last person to open, adjust, and save a file, does not deserve 100% of the credit for that piece, in my opinion
    The work I am showing was worked on by me, and me alone.
    Start to finish>
    modeled, UVed, textured,posed, rendered.
  • cpmorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Full disclosure: I work alongside Sean at Raven Software. But I'm offering my opinions here as an artist who's seen the work, read the thread, and have a decade of experience in the art industry, much of which has been spent reviewing professional and student portfolios.

Super Kudos to Adam for raising this issue, and to Sean for clarifying his role in creating the art. I'm on board with Jesse Moody here; the originator (designer) of the content gets the lion's share of 'authorship'. Often they deserve outright authorship - especially in cases where they've created the look, original model, surfaces, and UVs. As optimization of some/many assets is an almost inevitable result of prepping a project for the shelf, any 'optimized' or 'tweaked' content shown in an artists' portolio should at worst credit the original developer of that content. Our studio requires accurate attributions per portfolio piece from any applicant, and appropriation of art is not acceptable.

Our art is more and more becoming a collective effort, with multiple hands touching assets. If the authorship of a project's content is credited solely to the last artist who touched the content, we're undercutting our peers, art, industry - and the credibility the majority of us fight for every day we create.

/soapbox

I look forward to Sam stepping up to the professional plate, and clarifying his contribution to what is evidently + principally Sean's work.

Keep up the good work, PolyCount!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy CARP! theres a Morrow in muh polycount :P

I agree full heartedly with everything that's been said, but i feel Theres one more aspect to this issue that needs to be pointed out.

when I first saw Seans name on page one, for a few seconds, it entered my head that Sean might actually be a hack and that he was up to no good. That thought quickly died out when I remembered all of the amazing work that Sean produced while I was at raven- The guys a machine!

The ugly side to this is that anyone who hasnt seen Seans ability first hand, and stumbles onto these two sites, will immediatly throw up a red flag and associate something negetive with both parties. (untill proven otherwise)

Its good moral standings to give credit, but in addition, with situations like this its almost imparative the original author demands clarity on the other persons part.
    The industry is small, and lets face it, they all dont troll polycount and probably wont see this thread. Having your name be marred or having negative undertones associated with it is a real drag.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Actually my miss, i looked at your portfolio and thought it was the other way around, that he made the original and u wer the "bad guy" with a dope portfolio.

Anyhoo, credits should always be given where due to the original artist. This kind of shit happens way too often in our field..
    josh,carlo c,8ftSpider,> thnx, glad you like the work,
    johnny raptor> Let me just clarify,All the work posted on my site, is done entirely by me about 2 years ago while I was employed at rainbow and on the deadly creatures team. Now in a 1-2 year time span things change and models are optimized color corrected etc. etc. This is understood. So if by
    "im sure they both worked on all those assets." You mean that the models shipped in game were worked on by both of us, ...then yes, you are correct.
    The Issue I see is that the models hes showing WERE WORKED ON BY BOTH OF US. So I simply request he state exactly what he did and make it clear . The last person to open, adjust, and save a file, does not deserve 100% of the credit for that piece, in my opinion
    The work I am showing was worked on by me, and me alone.
    Start to finish>
    modeled, UVed, textured,posed, rendered.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ SEE WHAT I MEAN!!
  • getSumNotAll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnny raptor> no prob
    Konstruct> I do see what you mean,
    My attempts at explaining the situation to sam fell on ,...well, .lets just say less than hospitable ears.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sheesh, I'm putting my portfolio together and I have a few pieces that were modeled by someone else and textured by me or used a few of someone elses texture sheets but I've never even considered putting any polish work in there.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Shit, I get antsy and feel guilty sometimes using the Arshbase. I don't get whats going through the minds of these art thieves.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    You must browse a lot of portfolios :D I dont know why but I'm always surprised when I see someone finding something like this, the picture of sherlock holmes sums up my feelings completely :p

This one is less impressive since the models are pretty much identical, but for things like that bobo's texture thief guy from several months ago, that kinda detective work is amazing :p

Anyway I agree with konstruct, at first look you get a negative impression on both the artists names. Maybe edit the original post/title to clarify now that the "truth" is out (well technically only 1 side of the truth is out, but it seems pretty convincing to me - this is where Sam should step in to redeem himself :))
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I did to visually distinguish the work I did, versus the work of others in a piece was to create basically an alpha map of what I did in white, not mine in black. Then put that black n white up in one of the corners.

as an example- http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1352739/img/imperator/imperator_screenshot04.jpg
  • getSumNotAll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Justin
    Its not that you shouldnt put polish on someone elses texture or model, espeacially if your directed to by your lead or art director, but you cant take full credit for that work, ..you should, in my opinion, cite, or at least foot note that it was a collaboration between artists. Just my 2 cents.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Justin
    Its not that you shouldnt put polish on someone elses texture or model, espeacially if your directed to by your lead or art director, but you cant take full credit for that work, ..you should, in my opinion, cite, or at least foot note that it was a collaboration between artists. Just my 2 cents.

sure, I'm not arguing against polish work I just wouldn't consider putting it in my portfolio because overall I only did about 10% of the work (in my opinion).
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i instantly thought the portfolio that assualted me with music against my will was the art thief. cause embeding music in your website is a dick move!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    What do you have against Poland, Justin?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i instantly thought the portfolio that assualted me with music against my will was the art thief. cause embeding music in your website is a dick move!

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I went to school with Binder. lol, he got plagrrizd
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    sheesh, I'm putting my portfolio together and I have a few pieces that were modeled by someone else and textured by me or used a few of someone elses texture sheets but I've never even considered putting any polish work in there.

Curious: How would you handle it when someone else did the polish work on what was otherwise your stuff? I've got a few pieces in Borderlands that another artist did some texture polish work on and I am trying to figure out how to present it in my 'folio :/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Curious: How would you handle it when someone else did the polish work on what was otherwise your stuff? I've got a few pieces in Borderlands that another artist did some texture polish work on and I am trying to figure out how to present it in my 'folio :/
    Is the polish work that much more noticeable? I'd post your texture work and post an in-game shot stating that it was touched up by another artist prior to release, if you know the name, give them a shout-out.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i dont think i would actively mention that it was touched up, theres a lot of reasons that pieces get touched up, but you dont want to to come over the wrong way, as if it was touched up because you did not do it good.. do you still have the orriginal asset files? if so render it out, if you can put it in a build of the game yourselff to show it.