Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cartoon Tank

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I'm working on a game and I've got around to making a tank for it. Need serious crits on it, not just "It's shit" or whatever :P

*edit*

Photobuckets being lame. Ignore this post for now.

Replies

• Japhir
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tinypic.com ;P
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    xD

Right here we go, photobuckets working now:

It's 4,100 Tri's, and its not finished yet obviously.
    Tank1Wireframe.jpg

WIP-Tank-NotFinished.jpg

I'm not that happy with it atm, so yeah, I need serious crits on this.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make it more cartoony? even weirder proportions, treads wider on bottom than top, bigger headlights
    more tapered guns
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Nah, I dont want to over-cartoony it. I mean im pretty happy with the shape of it. it's just the texture is becoming a pain to do.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I would partly agree with achillesian, at least make the canon more exciting. Some extra constructional details would be cool.
    Wider treads would be cool as well.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 votes to your 1 Cyph3r, looks like you have to make it more cartoony now.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    i hate you all ;p

Well ill see what i can do.

any comments on the texture though?
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Voting for more badass canon aswell :P Sry dude :)

I think you could try doing color gradients instead of solid colors for texturing, creates more cartoonish style.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Right i dont want to make this tank too badass, as ive got 3 tank concepts, a small + fast one, a middle of the road one (which is the one im showing in this thread) and a big badass one.

Also how could i make use of gradients?

Little update:

SupaTank.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    imo lower the tank, fatter treads would add a more comic look without been too comic. Maybe reverse the way the cannons go, thinner at the base and wider at the end, not much but noticeable.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, but I'd like to see some specular (dunno if you were already going to do that)
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    okno wrote: »
    Looks good, but I'd like to see some specular (dunno if you were already going to do that)

im glad someone brought that up.

i was thinking of doing like, rimlighting, how would i do that?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Use my shader!
    It's not hard, and you can enable half-lambert for more TF2-like rendering :)
    If you round this up nicely with it, I'd love to put it on my site even as an example, since it's so different than the other stuff on there.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I love the turret trunk's pear shape. It looks like a fat dude's neck being choked by a dress shirt collar. Which is super fun to look at... fat necks hypnotize me. I'll just phase out and wake up with a sticky butt. Weird, but I love it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ace, I also love the shape. This is just personal taste, but I'm not digging the rivets. I think you could use less but more chunky rivets. I would also beef up the lines on the texture (the dark ones)
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Alright I had a play around with the shape, and I'm really not digging the different looks, so I'm gonna keep the shape how it is. Sorry dudes :P

Xoliul wrote: »
    Use my shader!
    It's not hard, and you can enable half-lambert for more TF2-like rendering :)
    If you round this up nicely with it, I'd love to put it on my site even as an example, since it's so different than the other stuff on there.

Sure thing mate! I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and I'll post up how it comes out. :D
    I love the turret trunk's pear shape. It looks like a fat dude's neck being choked by a dress shirt collar. Which is super fun to look at... fat necks hypnotize me. I'll just phase out and wake up with a sticky butt. Weird, but I love it.

LOL, I'm not even gonna ask. But cheers dude :P
    rooster wrote: »
    ace, I also love the shape. This is just personal taste, but I'm not digging the rivets. I think you could use less but more chunky rivets. I would also beef up the lines on the texture (the dark ones)

Cheers man, and alrighty, I see what you're getting at, I'll change the lines and rivets tomorrow mornign and post it up :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I like the tank as is. Just make the texture more exciting. Add damage, and some pin up art to it. I like the the fact that the thing looks like it has a face. I would add something to the hole so it looks like there is a person in there or something that looks like teeth. You can also add a machine gun to it, maybe make it larger than the turrets, add some shovels and spare tank threads. I would look at a ww1 or 2 tank and see what equipment it carried for ideas.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Cyph3r wrote: »
    im glad someone brought that up.

i was thinking of doing like, rimlighting, how would i do that?

if you use 3ds max, you can use the falloff map in the specular slot with fresnel turned on.
    then put a light behind the model, and you're off. to get a more detailed specular effect,
    you can then put the original texture into the bottom map slot, and bump up the
    output amount(contrast) and RGB level(brightness) under output.
    you can also put the texture into specular colour and adjust the contrast and brightness there.
    then put a light behind.

for a cartoony rim light, you can add the falloff map into the self-illumination slot, and turn on colour, set that to white, and adjust the mix curve until you're happy.
    standardshader.jpg
    here's the cartoony rimlight effect, and the settings.
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a quick playaround with Xoliul's shader:

Normal:
    Tank1_Xoliul1_wo.jpg

Xoliul's Shader:
    Tank1_Xoliul1.jpg

What do you guys think?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I like the design, and really the design isn't the weak point here. What you need to work on is execution. Before giving depthy crits or paintovers or anything, it would be good to know what you're going for here.

Are you intentionally giving it simplistic materials? Is the sense of "cartoony" supposed to be the design or also how materials come across? Do you have a reference of some 3D artwork that shows the rendering style you want to have? (This will help us a lot in giving appropriate advice!) Pixar, for example, mostly gets their cartoony look from their geometry and proportions, but use fairly realistic lighting and materials, whereas Blizzard tends to use exaggerated proportions and painty textures. At the moment it's hard to tell what kind of look you are going for.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Im delibrately going for simplistic materials, its the style me and the programmer decided on, and i dont have anything to work from.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    If that's the case you will get better results by baking down normals and AO from a high-poly model rather than drawing details on your texture. It will be difficult to make those unmodeled details work well with the modeled geometry if you aren't going to go for a Blizzard-esque painty look. Right now it has a similar effect to a glossy printout papercraft, and I don't think that's what you're going for.

Again, it will be easier for us to give helpful crits if we have a better idea of what you're going for. You may have an idea in your head of how this simple-material style can work great and look awesome, but right now I can't see it so I can't offer much to help you get there.

Are you trying for something like Mario Galaxy or Team Fortress 2?

super-mario-galaxy-wp.jpg

team-fortress-2.jpg
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Mario galaxy definately fits in better with the style i have in mind.

*edit*

I think i will do the lines and the rivets as normal map details. good idea yeah?

*2nd edit*

I'm starting the texture again from scratch, i'm going to make it a touch less simplistic and add in normal map details.

Drop in any ideas if youve got any for me.

*3rd edit*

Alright, im failing at this xD
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    NewTank_1_NormalMapped.jpg

Update, just finished the normal mapping, excuse the low quality screen grab. i'm in a rush : P