Home General Discussion

Brutal Legend

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    I played this last night for the first time and loved it. Definitely going to pick it up asap.:)

For anyone who's finished it, how long is the campaign?

The campaign itself, assuming you don't run any side missions, is very very short. Make sure you run some side missions while running the campaign.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    finding all the hidden legends is highly suggested, it reminds me much of finding the hidden away secrets of people in psychonauts.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'm looking for all the dragons and hidden legends. As well as playing on Brutal difficulty which has at times proven to be quite hard.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Xbox achievements are gonna make me play this on Brütal and try to go for 100% :3
    But I have to finish Bioshock on hard first...
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Just tried the demo yesterday, bought the game today, awesome vibes coming from it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    have you been looking at my sword?? lolz
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm so torn, i love most the games, but i really find it tough to struggle thru the rts parts, i hope i am at the first part where you build the big stage and the attack is coming, and i fing it incredibly boring runnin around with these douches, i jut wanna roam around and kill things by my self. it was not so bad with the bangers following me, but now theyve thrown in calling troops and managing fans and building merch booths and stuff.. just verry far from fun doing that
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I took Tim's Schafer's advice, and tried to stop playing it like a traditional RTS. I started relying more on Double Team attacks, and the battle became much easier. You have to keep yourself in the action.

I finished the campaign already, which is surprising. Very short indeed. But only after I finished it I realized I could have been freeing those dragons, racing, doing side missions, and otherwise exploring the world more along the way. Playing as the Drowning Doom and Tainted Coil in multiplayer is also a challenge. I think I'll play through again on Brutal and try to enjoy the finer details. I was halfway through the game before I knew how to run and do the power slide. I'm still trying to get some of the other special combos to work. Is it a bug, or am I doing them wrong?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had any problems pulling off special moves.

Its a tough one to rate. On the one hand there are a hell of a lot of absolutely brilliant things that Brutal Legend does. Environments and characters are superb, the setting is wonderfully realised, the soundtrack is glorious. On the other hand though, theres the distinct feeling that theres been a large section chopped out of the middle and much of the gameplay that remains feels a bit unrefined. There are a lot of cool mechanics like being able to ride all the beasties that are barely used in the campaign at all.

Double Fine probably have an excuse for this whith the development hell that this game went through but it's still pretty disappointing given how damn good the good bits are.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i had some broken special moves :(

oh my first play through, the knee slide move would never work. I bought it with other moves when i first could, and not once was i able to do a kneeslide in the entire game.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird Moose. I never had a problem with the knee slide.

Are you running while doing it?

I did find a couple floating trees in the forest areas that I was able to get under and look around through the geo... :(

Probably just a missed bug.

I'm still having a blast with this though.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    Weird Moose. I never had a problem with the knee slide.
    Are you running while doing it?

if moose is anything like me, he hasn't sprinted yet. i finished the whole game and never even knew there was a sprint feature. L3 for those curious :D

i really enjoyed this game on top of the awesome setting and characters. it's jsut so different in a lot of cases. if this was another ho hum hack and slash with loose controls i would of definitely not of enjoyed it as much as i did.

true i did get frustrated with the first few rounds of the RTS stuff but after i stopped trying to play it like an RTS and more like a kick ass war general with a lightning throwing guitar, knee deep in the melee it all started coming together.

great job double fine. you rule.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    jouste wrote: »
    if moose is anything like me, he hasn't sprinted yet. i finished the whole game and never even knew there was a sprint feature. L3 for those curious :D

wut

lol, ok yeah, i guess that'd do it. The tool tip says "while running," and i figured if i pointed the stick in a direction - that meant i was "running." Not "sprinting." I even tried my version of "running" for a few seconds, to see if there was a warm-up time before i could do it, like the character's feet caught on fire to indicate speed/etc. no dice. Thanks Jouste :D

woot, guess i missed that tutorial :) i'm going to knee slide some bitches tonight!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found sprint by accident when my big fingers smashed my controller.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    bought it today. haven't played it yet though.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took me freakin forever to find all the reaper steeds for the kill collector quest
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just beat it, crazy short game :( i even did all the side missions, got all the legends unlocked, an all the guitar solos, not goina bother go search all the dragons out, got all of them i saw along the way. fun game, but i guess i'll trade it in for borderlands. over all enjoyable,
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    What's your definition of "short"? Like 5 hours? If it took 8~9 hours I'm happy. That's not short when you have no time.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I just got 100% in this game. The game can be extreamly short if you just run through the missions. If you do all the side missions, and go for all the collectables it can take quite a bit of time. Took me forever even using achievementhunters.com to find the last 15 dragons.

My favorite part of the game is the voice acting. You can go up to each individual unit before each mission and they all have something different to say to you. I was kinda sad when i finished the game and then I'll i would ever hear from npcs was the annoying stuff that the wandering partrols say. still I loved this game. going to start replaying it on brutal and probably start playing some online games........or not, i tend to suck at multiplayer games.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I am totally loving the art direction for the environments, everything is so full of character. I really appreciate the viewing spots that let you really appreciate the awesomeness of some of the large fixtures.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    and i just beat the game on brutal. for those of you starting the game for the first time i'd suggest just playing on brutal, it isnt that much harder than normal. and you get all achievements for the lesser difficulties when you beat it on a harder one.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing through the game again on Brutal difficulty, and it is a whole new experience for me.

First, I know how to run. I'm driving around finding discoverables, thinking "how did I miss this the first time?" I've found a few Legends that unlocked some cool songs. After finding 10 dragons, my total health was increased. The sight seeing stands are kinda cool. And some relics tell the history of the land. Actually paying attention to the character upgrades is important now, because the side missions are challenging on Brutal. I barely won my FIRST race with Squealer while constantly boosting. Without any character upgrades, I found the 2nd Ambush mission I tried to be impossible. I had never unlocked all the solos before which are used in multiplayer, that I know will be important in completing the game now.

So the breakdown of the difficulty levels seems like this:

Easy: You don't play games often, but you enjoy Heavy Metal and destroying shit.

Normal: You play games sometimes, but never an RTS. You enjoy a creative story. Or you're a game reviewer with a deadline, and need to finish the game in 3 hours.

Brutal: You want to experience this game the way it was intended to be played. You've learned all the player controls, and how to master the RTS elements. You like being awarded new abilities by finding objects scattered throughout the map.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead sorta, but I just beat this game tonight and man did I love every damn minute of it! To my surprise and sadness, I went on Kotaku right after and found out that the game only sold 215k combined units in October. I was hoping it would perform much better! Hopefully the sales will keep up through at least Nov and Dec because this game was really just a blast from start to finish. I want to go back through on Brutal difficulty and get 100%!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I really tried to enjoy the stage battles, but couldn't get into 'em. Everything else was extremely awesome, but they sort of ruined the game for me overall. I don't think I'll play through it again.

It seemed like the best way to beat them was to just build a bunch of units and bumrush the stage. I actually won one of them by accidentally rushing the stage when they wouldn't follow my command to attack the other side's merch booth. I understand it's not a typical rts, but using any sort of strategy didn't appear to work very well. I would've preferred more hack n slash with a little bit of squad stuff mixed in.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Eclipse. It's one of those games were gameplay, sound and visuals perfectly fit together and totally pull you into it's world. I didn't even mind the stage battles, it was all chaotic but kinda cool: build some dudes, tell them to attack booth, rush to other side and slash some baddies, fly to stage and make zeppelin crash down, etc.. always lots of stuff to do.
    I'm at the last battle now (I think) and it's the first time I have trouble with it on Brutal difficulty, I gotta read into some strategy for it. Kinda bothers me that most Tainted Coil units seem way stronger than my own, some being able to kill me in 2 hits.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JMYoung wrote: »
    It seemed like the best way to beat them was to just build a bunch of units and bumrush the stage. I actually won one of them by accidentally rushing the stage when they wouldn't follow my command to attack the other side's merch booth. I understand it's not a typical rts, but using any sort of strategy didn't appear to work very well. I would've preferred more hack n slash with a little bit of squad stuff mixed in.

I think you might be playing them wrong...that's not the best way to go about it. I do wish they game would have told you more instead of letting you figure it out, but with the solo's and eddie's power you should never be out of the action guiding units around for more then a few seconds. Solo's like the Zepplin and Facemelter do massive damage and can really swing the tide. You can also summon the Deuce while in stage battles and ride around and kick ass with that, and the team attacks really make you very powerful. I know it's hard to break from the RTS mindset, but it's kind of what you have to do. It's an action game first with unit building second, they are they just to boost you up and make you more powerful.

I will probably defend this game until the end of time because it seems like there is a lot of confusion about it, but again I just loved it!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still making my way through the game on Brutal. Definitely not as short a game when you take the time to enjoy all the small details it has to offer.

I've been playing more towards the double team attacks in the stage battles, instead of the RTS approach, and it has really improved the game's quality as an action title. Along with taking the effort to upgrade Eddie's stats. Stills kills me to think that on my first play through, I skipped more than half the game.

I'm still trying to win a Multiplayer match against the AI on Brutal. Not even close, but great practice.

I'm upset to see it hasn't sold so well. I guess few gamers have great taste in music. :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished it on Brutal. I have to be honest: rushing stage battles did work best for the final battle and most others. I won the final battle with only the two types of basic units and it took only 10-15 minutes. I still had to spend a lot of effort outsmarting and outmanouevering the other avatar though.
    And damn the last bossfight is tight! Definitely one of the coolest gameplay moments, and they chose Painkiller by Judas Priest so perfectly as the soundtrack for that moment. I love how they used the music so wel in this game, like looping the first notes from Children of The Grave when you have to get the Axe in the very beginning.
    Music complementing gameplay perfectly is one of my favorite things ever in videogames :)

Now I still have to find 3 more serpents, to get 100%...
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Xoliul, I am planning to start a fresh play through on Brutal shortly and I wanted to ask if there are any Serpents or Vista's that are time specific. Like if you don't get them, or do them between this mission and this mission they will go away and you can't get 100%. Because after I beat the game and went back and completed all the Hunter missions I never got the achievement so I didn't know if there is stuff you have to do at a certain time to get 100%.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Eclipse, you'll still be able to access all of the exporation stuff after finishing the story. I think you need to visit the hunter once more when you're done with all missions to unlock that achievement.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse wrote: »
    Hey Xoliul, I am planning to start a fresh play through on Brutal shortly and I wanted to ask if there are any Serpents or Vista's that are time specific. Like if you don't get them, or do them between this mission and this mission they will go away and you can't get 100%. Because after I beat the game and went back and completed all the Hunter missions I never got the achievement so I didn't know if there is stuff you have to do at a certain time to get 100%.

Nope, none of that. Unlike Bioshock for example, where you can't get some audio diaries once you pass a certain point, I hate that stuff, especially when it's at the first level already.
    The only thing i'd recommend, is finishing every sidemission once it's abailable before you move the story on. I think you might be able to do 'em afterwards, but they're fun and you get more rewards that way, making the game a bit easier.

For the hunter thing you need to visit the dude again though (no marker on map for him), he gives you a steel quilled axe.

I still didn't get my last 3 serpents btw, kind of reluctant to go over the entire map, again :/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing the missions as you progress is definitely the way to go. That said, I think they should have made the game a little harder on Brutal. One, to force you to do them for the upgrades, and two to still provide a great challenge.

Another note, I'm actually able to use the special combos I buy from Ozzy this time around. You have to take your time doing the sequence. With a little practice, it really improves the battle action. I think I'm ready from some Multiplayer against real people. Maybe get that "play against tim" acheivement"
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi wrote: »
    Eclipse, you'll still be able to access all of the exporation stuff after finishing the story. I think you need to visit the hunter once more when you're done with all missions to unlock that achievement.

Ah, yeah I never did that, I guess he is back at his original location on top of that hill?