Home Technical Talk

blender questions

Replies

• Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    another q: can I display wireframe over shaded? solid mesh with wireframe overlaid
    This is done per object. In the buttons window, go to Object (F7) and in the Draw panel under Draw Extra enable the Wire option.

Let's say you want to do this for multiple objects. In the 3d window select all those objects, and make sure the one already displaying wires is the active one (usually the last selected and the outline is a bit brighter). Then press ctrl+c to Copy Attributes and pick Draw Options - it's the 4th item on the list.
    edit; oh how do I get the wireframe mode to show the 'real' wireframe too? i just subdivided up a mesh and none of those are showing in wireframe
    In object mode Blender simplifies the wireframe display if multiple faces make up one flat surface.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    edit; oh how do I get the wireframe mode to show the 'real' wireframe too? i just subdivided up a mesh and none of those are showing in wireframe
    In edit mode press the All Edges button in the Mesh Tools More panel.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks all :)

ok rigging: I'm having some collada export problems.

no1. bone roll: how do I roll a bone so it's oriented how I like, but 'apply' the roll so it has a roll value of 0 in that position?. because on export, the bone roll gets reset back to 0 and the bones all rotate wonky.

2: can I set it so I can animate the bone translation as well as rotation (by that I mean, the lengths of the bones change, like maya. so I can grab a bone in pose mode and just move it where I like (at the moment the length is locked and it just rotates the bone)

3 I know about the interactive mirroring as you build a skeleton, but can it be done after the fact? mirror over half a skeleton?
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    And now we start treading the armature grounds, I have a lot less experience with this, but let's try :)
    2: can I set it so I can animate the bone translation as well as rotation (by that I mean, the lengths of the bones change, like maya. so I can grab a bone in pose mode and just move it where I like (at the moment the length is locked and it just rotates the bone)
    The length of the bone in pose mode can be changed by scaling it. To unlock the bone from its parent, go to Edit mode, select the bone and see the buttons window, the Armature Bones panel. There, see the top right corner for a small Co button which enables or disables the bone being connected to its parent bone.
    3 I know about the interactive mirroring as you build a skeleton, but can it be done after the fact? mirror over half a skeleton?
    In 3d window, edit mode, select a bone in the middle, press shift+S and pick Cursor -> Selection. This will be your reference point. Now set the 3d cursor as the active pivot:
    show.php?id=164
    The shortcut used here is . yep, a fullstop mark.

Now select the bones on one side, press shift+D to duplicate them and since you are now in Grab command (moving stuff) press Esc to cancel that one so you don't accedently move your bones. Now press ctrl+M to mirror your newly duplicate bones and then X or Y or Z to pick the mirror axis. Confirm and you're done. However I'm not sure if this works with weight groups properly (once your armature is already assigned to a mesh). This same mirroring approach can also be used with meshes or other objects in edit mode.
    ok rigging: I'm having some collada export problems.

no1. bone roll: how do I roll a bone so it's oriented how I like, but 'apply' the roll so it has a roll value of 0 in that position?. because on export, the bone roll gets reset back to 0 and the bones all rotate wonky.
    No idea on this one, except that collada is rather buggy in 2.49 so it's not that useful. Again, future features are not current features, but there was a successful Google Summer of Code project this year, to improve Collada support in Blender.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks for the quick response!

I did discover that scaling trick to move bones, however my spidey sense tells me the collada export will probably fudge that up and scale all the child bones once it's out of blender :)
    I'll give it a shot anyway :D

thanks again bud
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how to apply '2sided texture face' on all mai model's face(s) ?
    or. how to set it as default? so every face i,ll create will always have 'texture face- 2sided&alpha' turned on by default.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the quick response!

I did discover that scaling trick to move bones, however my spidey sense tells me the collada export will probably fudge that up and scale all the child bones once it's out of blender :)
    I'll give it a shot anyway :D

thanks again bud
    Ah, a coincidence I checked polycount before I went to sleep, and np :)
    how to apply '2sided texture face' on all mai model's face(s) ?
    or. how to set it as default? so every face i,ll create will always have 'texture face- 2sided&alpha' turned on by default.
    I take it you mean the Texture Face panel and its options? See the top-right corner of this panel, the small button copy. This copies settings of the active face to all selected faces. The active face is the one that's shaded a bit differently than the rest, usually the last one you've selected. Instead of copy, you can also press ctrl+c in the 3d window and get a list of properties you want to copy from the active face to other selected faces.

No idea about making this default though, doesn't seem to be possible.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx lamoot!tried and works.

yeah that active face/selected face is confusing ;p .in most ( if not all ) 3d apps i know .. the active face is the selected face.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a script that will keep the cursor at the location of an Empty:
    # SPACEHANDLER.VIEW3D.DRAW
    from Blender import Window, Object
    empty = Object.Get("Empty")
    Window.SetCursorPos(empty.getLocation("worldspace"))

Add that to a text window, then add an Empty then choose View > Space Handler Scripts > Draw:Text
    Make sure view rotation is set to "around selection" in the preferences, and have the empty selected. When sketching with grease pencil, use "g" to move the cursor to where you want to draw. I've done a bit of rooster-style 3D sketching with this but my skills are too embarrassing to show, lol