Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Boat

Hi all, quite new here but i've been browsing around for a while now :)

Currently studying Game Art at college and loving it so far!

Anyway, i've been asked to create a low poly 3D boat for a 2D based game. They needed it made in 3D so it could be rotated 360 directions in game and look smooth (not sure why they are using a 2D engine however)

Anyway, the result of many hours of work is below...I know it's not the greatest but i'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

ship.png

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i like your boat. Maybe the outer hull could be brighter though?
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Nicely done! I like it. Try to do what dolemite said, and also to enhance the contrast on the darker parts, adding some highlighted surfaces.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i dont know if you need it to be super clean, but how about a highwater mark along the bottom of the hull
  • Taylor Hood
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    looks sharp. but quick question: if this is for a 2D game, why make it low poly? with no actually 3D geometry to render out, why not go high res, and really make it look awesome-sauce?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah! Kick those whaler's asses!...
    I agree with the other comments made here. Main hull a bit brighter and certainly some wear on it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin awesome!

The uv layout could have been much more low poly-esk. A lot more mirroring and use of solid blocks of color. All in all it looks great nice work =)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i was just thinking exactly what diminished self said...

you're not going to be rendering this in game, so at least model the windows and little details like that. i mean if it's a small tiny flash game or something like that, this is already more than fine...but you don't have to limit yourself for something like this.

looks good though, just my 2 cents
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies and crits!

I agree that the hull should be a bit brighter, i'll also add some wear onto it (I tried adding a bit of rust around but you can't see it too well at the moment).

As for the reason it's low poly, the guy making the game is unsure at the moment which direction he is heading in using the boat. It's either going to be a pre-rendered object with all 360 directions OR a 3D-mesh object which can take lighting etc from inside the game. Either way it's going to be viewed quite zoomed out at a 2 and a half view (like from old RPGs).

I tried to keep this in mind and wanted to highlight the main forms of the ship so they wouldn't get lost when it was viewed from far away.

Also the engine being used to create it (Multimedia Fusion) is mostly a 2D engine, so I didn't want to tax it completely if he did decide to use the 3D mesh instead of the render.
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, I wrote a big reply but it said it needed to be approved by a mod, so I guess i'll play the waiting game!

anyway, thanks all for the crits and here's hoping my reply turns up (i'll redo it tomorrow if it doesnt)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with Vig on the mirroring OP, you could have saved on alot of space and cashed in on the bigger texture space to make it work abit better for you.You could have maybe used the thirding technique aswell
    thirding.jpg
    I esp. dont like how you unwrapped that top part of the boat (the one with the railings). Why did you do that and not attach those uvs to the rest of the hull?
    Maybe desaturate that blue highlight on those metal things on the top and sharpen them up generally.
    Nonetheless, its looking awesome. General increase in brightness and more contrast in places will help this imo.