Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

old starbucks

i started a concept based on the pikes place market starbucks which is like the first location:

http://twitpic.com/k27wu

got some pics of the place on wednesday and started the model tonight
dunno where im going to take it...

not futuristic...
maybe a little run down, not beat though..... kinda unpleasant and low yet taken care of....

:poly142:
any suggestions, i know it isnt quite ready to start texturing yet so it doesnt look pretty yet,...

Replies

• LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I clicked expecting to see either dirk benedict or like a geriatric katee sackhoff... :p

I think wires would probably help with crits. I'm no enviro guy, but it seems like a decent start so far. I reckon you'll need to start adding trim and whatnot, though. Currently everything seems very flat and featureless.
  • Mark Dygert
    Off to a decent start.

I think some of the core proportions are off. Like the windows on either side of the door. It's pretty symmetrical in real life but the model is a bit squished on the left side (models right).
    first_ever_starbucks.jpg
    Don't forget to model out the indents in the trim under the windows, also the wall mounted fire hydrant would add some nice detail.

What about the mounts for the wires that hold the overhang up, just wires tends to look pretty DS spec?

The inner walls of the entrance are not straight back but angled out about 15-20 degrees.

The roof detail seems kind of wonky with the added caps. It's part of a strip of stores. The roof detail is just a flat piece of metal flashing that's painted green, it protects the bricks from the rain.
    first-starbucks.jpg

And don't forget these freaks... heh
    49002973_cb46209d70.jpg
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting choice of building, lots of potential with the textures, but Vig's right - the basic proportions are way off. That left window is far too big, and as a result the right looks cramped.

If it were me, I'd model in just about everything to break up some of the large, flat planes without much detail to add some visual interest. Definitely the paneling, the underside of the corrugated awning, pipes - everything. Even with all that detail, you can still keep the count low enough to be an economical asset, then focus on the textures to really make it pop.

Looking forward to seeing this progress!
  • 120Degree_Flip
    your right, my shots i took from across the street when it was busy and i didnt see the proportions of the doors windows... thanks for pointing that out...

yea the top roof was going to be flat, then i added a couple edge loops and when they extruded it came out like that and i liked it... afterall its just a concept for a scene im working on... i may want to have it as a standalone shop not a strip mall suite...

i am going back to work on it today, maybe i will mess with the geometry a little...
    im going to back to seattle monday hopefully to get some better shots, i wasnt really planning on modeling it until i thouht about the pics...

its hard to get the proportions from the quick snap i did.... its pretty pitiful i was paying more attention to the buildings in the background...http://www.twitpic.com/jwncr

maybe i should examine and study the references a little more huh?
    thanks for the advice