Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worgen

hello fellow pcounters.

working on a werewolf type warrior fella, hopefully i can finish this one...

worgen_wip_1%20copy.jpg
worgen_bust.jpg

Tell me whatcha think!
-Woog

Replies

• OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome, also looks alot like the goblin wolf rider from lotr if thats what you were doing for haha first thing i thought of was the dude that sends aragorn over the cliff
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    48455426.jpg

Feel free to ignore this completely, but right now it looks orcish, but if you extend the jaw and move the ears up a bit, it might look more wolfish :)

Nice ZBrush.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey Woog, nice sculpt mate. I think you should keep the upper nose as is. If you pull the snout out, keep the same dimension. No disrespect to our newly joined member, but I don't like the Paintover at all, and I think it's suggestions should be ignored.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ocr crimson: thanks man! that particular style of character is along the lines of what im going for as far as structure, tho his fur should break the connection up a good bit.

iwerez: thanks for the crit and the paintover! while traditional werewolves are my favorite, for this one i was going for a bit more of a blend between human and beast, along the lines of michael corvinis from underworld.

PeterK: always a pleasure! thanks for the input sir.

few silhouettes lemmie know whatcha think, pretty straight forward.

Worgenilouette_type_1.jpg

Worgenilouette_type_2.jpg

-Woog
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say it depends on whether or not you plan on animating the character.

If you do, then I'd go with the more human anatomy, unless you are a crack animator, having a character with those legs (the dog like ones) would look strange. However if you're doing a still render, or want to be more daring, go with the dogs legs.

It's also worthwhile looking at how a dogs legs meet the pelvis. Dogs (and other four legged creatures) have a different setup so to speak, which makes their legs very strong for pushing, or running. On the other hand, they can't kick, or move their legs forwards with much strength.

The work you've done so far is excellent, I'm just spouting some information that may help you with your decissions.

-Adam
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concept for gear so far

worg_gearconcept_1.jpg

please let me know what you think i have a terrible eye for colors so paintovers..ect are most welcome

-Woog
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still dont see it resembling wolf, just LOTR orcs, maybe when its done with fur it migh look okay.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iwerez: hopefully the final posing and textures will help aliviate the orcish-ness, also not going strictly for "werewolf" goin for beastie similar to the shifters in DnD.

teaser :poly122:

teaser.jpg

just a teaser for fun, shaded update soon

-Woog
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I think the metal knee pad sort of clashes with the rest of the style. The style looks pretty tribal/natural, but then you've got this sort of high-tech knee armor.

Maybe reconsider having a knee plate made out of something a little more inline with the style, like the the top of a skull, or bark?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm as much as i like this as is, im thinking i got ahead of myself is anyone else for scrapping this gear and just going for classic movie monster style with a serious change of posture, and some torn jeans? o hair cards not visible here.

o also if anyones interested i use a custom alpha for the stitches, its not a huge impovement off of what comes standard in z brush but ill upload it if anyone is interested, any others i make as well.
    gear_1-1.jpg

input is much appriciated, i dont bite...unless you are made of cake...

-Woog
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    coming along pretty nice :)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey woog, I actually like where the gear is headed. I think if you were to just really define the different materials in the pants it would help a lot. And right now there is sooo much detail concentrated on the lower half but not much going on with the upper body. Since that belt doesn't really look like it could hold that sword up in reality, maybe sling over his shoulder. You would spread out the details a bit and make it more practical. Whats going on with the poofs around the ankles? Other then that man I think the beast itself looks great so far. Keep going with it.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix: thanks for your kind words man.

Nrek: wow thanks man. ive decided to keep it going. the poofs are what id call a terrible attempt and having some fur poofs at the bottom of his pants, ill probably just do them with hair cards in the end. i tied after reading your comment to place the blade on his back, it kinda wrecks the agile shilouette i wanted if its not upside down on his back, makes him look more broad. ill keep playing with it tho as i work on retop to see if i can find a better place. thanks for the crits!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    normals! ao! k k time for teh textures.

around 16k at the time i will be creating blends for the face once the texture is done

bakes.jpg

-Woog
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along very nice!

I would make fangs bigger...
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    This is awesome! Very inspiring
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    very cool. ya with tha first picture i immediately thought of corvin :D.
  • holygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hes not a very hairy Worgen :P Looks good so far keep it up :)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I like it! Looking forward to seeing it w/ the hair on there. :thumbup:
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a few requests to see the sword, when conceptualizing this guy i imagined him as using mostly his hands and fangs for combat, the only reason such a creature would need a weapon is if he was fighting something truly monstrous. so the blade is somewhat simple, but i wanted it to be way out of scale as if he stole a broken sword from a giant or something. there will be engravings on the blade in finals

Wayfa- ill see what i can do id probably scale the k9s up a bit and leave the rest small, they kinda creep me out small.

Fang- thanks! glad you like it!

raulsek- thanks man! i really liked what they did with him in those films.

holygon- yes i didnt realy want fur, even the hair he will have i want to be creepy and thinning.

imb3nt- soon sir very soon

sword%20copy.jpg

-woog
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apologies for the lack of post, rig and diffuse done for this fella, im still working on alpha if anyone has advice or good settings for marmoset for alpha please dont be shy.

crits most welcome i have a folio review later this week so any help would be great.

final count 14502
    2048 diffuse, alpha, normal, spec

textures%20done%20render%202.jpg

-Woog
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    This is just a treat to look at :) The crit I have is that he looks plastic due to the specular(if not wet). Also not a fan of how the blood looks on the blade and what's spattered on him (if I'm not mistaken), looks pink-ish and transparent. I would want it a darker&deeper red/brown hue?
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffuse is looking good but might need a bit more material-determining detail on the pants/clothes. It may just be that the spec is too shiny/wet right now, but at the moment it's difficult to determine what type of fabric/material his pants are made of.
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    I'd say that it's currently the Spec and blood thats leeting this piece down.

The spec is causing everything to look a bit plastic - very evident on the head in that last screen.

The blood just isn't working for me. Try darkening it and removing a lot of the 'mist' you have going on on the blade. It looks very tacked on. Try imagining in what way he's using the sword and what his last actions were with it and take the blood direction from that. Has he just gored someone/thing? Does he only slash with the blade? etc.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fang: thanks for the kind words and crits all good stuff that has been addressed.

JakeLear: hope the spec and normals updates solved the issue for you.

BHJ: thanks for the crits man spec definatly needed some retouching as did the blood much to pink i agree, blood has been darkened and in many cases simply scaled back, to address your intrest in how he uses the blade, hes a beast and dosnt take care of his stuff, so it would be mostly a bludgeon, thus the spray not so much the heavy wetness and collection in the groove.
    front
    test%20render%20final%20front%20%20copy.jpg

back
    test%20render%20final%20back%20.jpg

crits still welcome im still concidering it WIP, i need to take a break from textures to slam out a base real quck my review is thursday.

-Woog
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a lot of awesome and one tiny bit of *huh?*, in that the bottoms of the trouser legs look like two giant popcorn kernels or souffles that he's decied to put his feet through- definitely look at re-texturing those and he'll be all the way fine!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. Are you still considering hair planes or is he going to be bald? I like the expression a lot.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    WOW! that is so cool! need a good muscle rig, IMO back is looking silly in this pose without it :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys i will address the popcorn over the weekend haha, thanks for following.

construction sheet
    construction%20copy.jpg

srry for the busted quality on the edges here ill fix it later im in a bit of a time crunch

-Woog
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i dub this officially Covered in my Semen
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    ralusek wrote: »
    i dub this officially Covered in my Semen