Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Deco Brush = Photoshop Brush?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Is there any way to mimic the Zbrush deco brush in photoshop? I know, I know. Just do it in zbrush. Zbrush still has no layer support, and I need to capture the transparency.

Replies

• FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Using the LazyNezumi script http://people.happycoders.org/kamih/wordpress/?page_id=46 with the default hard edged Photoshop brush with pressure> brush size should give you something pretty close in most cases I reckon.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not talking so much about the delay. I'm talking about the color changes and the varying tones of transparency depending on pressure. Like its liquefy with color being laid down with the brush stroke versus just pushing preexisting pixels.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    why not just do it in photoshop with the brush scattering/opacity/hue pressure sensitivity options? Im not too familiar with the deco brush so what particular part of its function can photoshop not achieve?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    oh snap that LazyNezumi is fucking great! thanks!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    why not just do it in photoshop with the brush scattering/opacity/hue pressure sensitivity options? Im not too familiar with the deco brush so what particular part of its function can photoshop not achieve?

I guess a picture or video is worth a thousand words. (27 sec mark on)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzR-ff05-0E[/ame]

I knew how to mimic it, I would. Seeing the options for brushes, just doesn't seem to reflect what would be needed. Or at least its not connecting in my brain how to achieve it. I can see using a pattern or texture in the brush, but having that skew realtime?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ah I see what you mean now, no I dont think theres any easy way to replicate that behavior, may have to just use zbrush. The way it skews is probably something to do with a delay like lazynezumi but with a different function.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    video helped alot, it seems like the smudge tool in photoshop has a very similar pull property in default settings, for example with the arrow, if you made the arrow in photoshop, pasted or whatever, and then used the default smudge it would pull it around like that, no scattering 100% pull etc. Although i'm not sure if you can combine smudge with a medium creating brush, might look into that?
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    The 'Art Brush' in Adobe Illustrator works like that, or close to it. You might be able to use that and then just cut and paste into Photoshop.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a texture being stretched along a path, so yes, quite similar to Illustrator's art brush, although that one uses vectors as its input.
    Would be easy to code if only PS' brushes-system was extendable, but sadly that's not the case :)
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's a similar tool in painter, called pattern chalk
    andrew jones is using it for some of his works and has made a few video-tutorials - you might want to try it
    also check out alchemy, a small abstract imagrey generation tool - it's very lightweight and totally free.
    (seen it in android's videos as well)