Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*large image warning* Updated website with some Dawn of War II stuff

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks... it's been a little while since I updated my page... I finally got around to putting the stuff I did on DOW2 up there.

http://www.thejohnwarnerexperience.com/

Please do critique the hell out of my website. I'm interested in getting a little bit of work teaching peeps.. so any input is appreciated.

edit: i took down the pics, because i re-structured my site a bit.

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Cool stuff, john. Glad to see more work from you :)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Hey John. Lookin good.

I think instead of saying, "Many of these images are part of a set. Be sure to click "next" on the pop-up that appears." It would be better to just separate them out. People will miss the others.

There's also a way to speed up the lightbox so it doesn't spend so much time re-sizing. I dont know it off the top of my head but I definitely think it's worth finding for you. Especially if you want to keep them in a group.

Overall I think you could scale everything up about 30%. It all feels tiny. Take up the browser window a bit more. It's ok :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Gav - thanks. hah yeah believe it or not, I'm working on a bunch of stuff.. but I can't show any of it because they're all to-be-released sorta stuff.

DKK - I am pleased.

TWilson -- thanks man. you'rreee probably right. goddamit, I don't wanna go back and re-work the sucker. also, yeah, i took a look at it on a screen with a higher resolution and the page does look a little odd. Ugh.

maybe i'll go back to it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or does Dawn or war 2 stuff (and 1) always have bad looking textures. No offence to you, John, none at all, but it seems like they are always blurry. Well..it is an RTS so it wouldn't be noticeable. : )
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Dawn or war 2 stuff (and 1) always have bad looking textures. No offence to you, John, none at all, but it seems like they are always blurry. Well..it is an RTS so it wouldn't be noticeable. : )

Filitering + zooming in on small textures tends to have that kind of resulpt :poly124:

Good stuff john!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, right Suprore. Anyways, kick ass stuff John.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gawd, they shouldn't be bad looking. They ARE low res--- that shotgun is like.. 128 X 64 .. or something?? i can't remember. it might be on a 256. im sure it would have to be, come to think of it. 256X128 i'm sure.

thanks.
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks dood.

alright, I re-designed the website. Went with a more minimalist, fancy pants feel. I even hit a link to american psycho on the main page.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    J to the O to the H to the N... looooveee your work man, nothing to overboard, but executed so well that is always a pleasure seeing new stuff from you :)

Love your texture work by the way!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are you, like the nicest guy on the internet? thanks man. kind words.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    oh my god... he even has a watermark

I think it's an improvement over the last. The image browser is neat.
    If you're looking for work... it's a bit unclear what position you're seeking.
    I still find the fonts a bit small but maybe I just lean back too far.
    On the resume html page you could say what you contributed to the project.
    Where in the world do you live? It's nice to add that on a contact page...
    It's nice if you have a contact page instead of a mailto in the menu :) I always click around the links and end up closing the mailto windows.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing the HELL out of DoWII; cool to see some of the work you did on it, John. Curious: what is the res on those weapon textures? They appear as if you are getting a lot of res out of very little texture space, or am I wrong about that? Any way you could post some flats of some of the DoW textures?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyler - again, with the good ideas. The truth is, I'm pretty much looking for what ever. I'd like to teach, or maybe do some tutoring... or some contract stuff... something that, for now, would allow me to continue putting most of my energy into the games i'm makin with mah start-up here. just a little supplementary income.. if i can manage, anyway. i'm ranting.

yes, good ideas, again. I'll consider scalling up the text (my monitor has a low resolution i guess.) I'll certainly do the other things you suggested.

Astro- cheers. I'm pretty sure the resolution for that shotgun was 256X128. the stormbolter might have been 256X256. unfortunately, I can't post the flats cuz i don't have em. I had to grab these screen shots off a friend's machine. I would have preferred to take shots from Max, but it was not to be. i got laid off before i could grab my work.

OH-- i almost forgot -- everything in that game has unique texture co-ordinants, so that we could do a lil' occlusion situation. that's why it looks fairly low res for a 256X128 -- we were really squeezing the uv space on these things.

the characters, for example, have higher texture density around their shoulders, and it progressively scales down towards their feet. the uv maps often have like a fucking pixel between the islands, if that. it was sometimes very painful to get the appropriete resolution for areas like that Zoanthrope's squiggly brain. the plan was to scale back the texture density and not allow the camera to go so close to the models as COH.. but we ended up.. juuusstt.... doing it anyway, so we had to do tricks like scalling the uv islands dis-proportionately.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5489/dow2ss.jpg -- you can tell by looking at this guy's legs.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    unique UV's was the first order of business for me to abolish when it came to environment art on DoW2. Now I get overlapping and flipped UV's all while maintaining a 2nd channel for the occlusion bullshit.

mwuahahaha
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, I'm all for that.. that's what we did on COH.

I mean the fucking thing is -- many of those objects just used the large object shader anyway... so when it came down to it, we were ending up having to use multiple channels for many of them.

yeah, i didn't like it.. but.. when Alun speaks..... i shutthefuckup :) haha