Home Technical Talk

[Dillema] CrazyBump epic win, max, xnormal fail??

Hey guys, I've actually just used Crazy bump demo on a test of mine and it came out.. a billion times better. I have a million questions in my head but I can think of them XD

Why can't I achieve a similar look from Xnormal? I mean, come on!! the options and sliders of Crazy bump are amazing. Intensified AO and normal maps.. spec too. Incredible.

I'm not even gonna get started on max. Infact, I've been trying to render to texture normal maps in 3dsmax for quite a while now. And I normally get some sort of faded out.. ugly looking thing. Can't really explain it but it doesn't look like a normal map when rendered.

A couple of questions. Do you already have to have made textures for a model before you put it into crazy bump? Because in Xnormal you generate them and in Crazy bump it seems you awesomley amplifiy the details and such.

Also, I don't understand how it works when there is no UV layout. I put in a photo source texture and ofc it came out sexy as hell but I don't know how I'd apply flat texture maps to something not even mapped.
Sorry if these are noob questions but I've never used this beast before!

I guess my biggest question is, again, do you already have to have textures baked and such before going into Crazy?

I modelled it - textured it with crappy AO from xnormal : S : S and a non intensified weak normal map from Max and it came out on the right there. I then re saved all the textures from crazy bump. On the left > awesomness compared to the right.
20pujad.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's because you're young... when you get older you'll be able to make awesome normal maps with 2 rocks and a paper clip. True story.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, seriously Vig come on man. Don't take the piss. I'm actually asking a serious question. Isn't polycount supposed to help?
    Seriously.... I'm not in the mood. I normally play along but for f- sake.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    slothmap.jpg

:P

I think what Vig meant is, try to experiment with all that stuff, one step at a time ... no need to rush. Crazybump and Xnormal are fantastic tools, but cover quite a complex ground. But it will make much more sense after a while.

The differences you see are because they work in completely different ways. You will get a better feel for it by playing with them.

All these elements are quite complex taken one by one. I see you have that cool crate you are working on. You would get much better anwers about how to use this app or that app, by starting a thread in Pnp to gradually get feedback and suggestions.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rofl.. nice one. You guys just keep on going ;P
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well joke aside (no arm intended, just plain fun really) I stand by my comment. The reason why I say take your time, is because I am having a hard time even understanding what you ask in the OP. Try to breaks things al little more clearly, we might be able to help better.

Good luck!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But, quite clearly CB is the more preffered option? Well, in terms of awesomess on the eyes but then again, you don't generate maps do you? Plus, it's not free. I was gonna say the word "Crack" but then this would turn into a 57 page thread :)

Or in Xnormal do you just have to "hit the right buttons"?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ok hmmm. Even here I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you talking about normal maps? Or AO maps?

Xnormals main purpose is to bake information from a highpoly mesh to a lowpoly mesh, through textures. Normal, AO, and many others. It's a "surface transfer" program. It has extra 2d tools, but thats another subject.

Crazybump is a filter program, doing clever things on various 2D sources. It's up to you to do whatever you want with it. It's not supposed to be accurate. Think of it as an image manipulation program. Heck, I even use it on pieces of concept art regularly, in the most unintended way.

Considering these are completely different things, I really don't get your question. Going back to my original comment : just spend some time wrapping your head around both individually. Watch vids, read manuals, you'll get it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, Lom. . . both programs are fantastic at what they do, but they both do TOTALLY different things.

XNormal works with models, Crazybump works with images.

In XNormal, you bring in a high poly mesh, and a low poly mesh, and it bakes the high poly's normals and AO and such, to the Low Poly's UVs (mesh in -> images out)

CrazyBump takes images you give it, and does it's magic on them, converting them from whatever you gave it (diffuse, height, etc.) into other channels (normal, spec, ao, etc.) (images in -> images out)

It's not that XNormal sucks, or that Crazybump is more useful, it's that they do different things.

eta: DAMN YOU FRENCHIE!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean both programs with Ao spec and normals in general. Crazy bump produces far better results but it's just a "Image manipulation program"....

So, from my experience the only way to get way better results is to use Crazy Bump.
    Wich isn't free. Nice conclusion...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    you can't make a decent normal map for a complex surface with crazy bump... For a simple grate, no problem. For a character... problem.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ok so you still didn't get it. Use them more, on more assets, and you'll figure it out.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    MWAAHAHAHA the smelly cheese lover strikes again!

regarding xnormal - for optimal results, you'll have to experiment with different settings (i.e. raydistance/antialiasing..) to get a preferred normal/ao 'bake' - i've learnt that you just have to be patient and find the settings that suit that particular asset.....
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, uh hu. Well, do you guys know what I mean about the Max thing? I'm not trying to bash max but take for example, zmapper, there is a perfect lighting setting in there which makes normal maps look awesome. But when I try to take it into max its almost complteley dark and when light shines on it its horrible mess. :S

Yay - in game sexyness ensues. 25qysfb.png
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Do you understand how a normalmap works?

Also, once you get a better understanding of it all, there is another thing to chew on : besides norms (green up, green down, all that) there is also very subtle differences in ways to read them, and write them. Not just strength or colors, but very subtle things dealing with normal tangents calculation, per pixel rendering algorythms, lots of stuff. One solution : stick to one objective (realtime in unreal? Scanline render in Max?) and once you decide on this, start a thread in PnP and elaborate from there.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Er, ofc.
    Its a trick of shadows. You take a high poly model and a low polymodel. You use a cage which pulls the data from the high poly or something similar. Which uses rays to bake down what the highpoly is like from a front/top down view.

You can also have floating geometry where the baker only sees the top view and therefore bakes down psuedo geomtetry.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    ...Er, ofc.
    Its a trick of shadows. You take a high poly model and a low polymodel. You use a cage which pulls the data from the high poly or something similar. Which uses rays to bake down what the highpoly is like from a front/top down view.

You can also have floating geometry where the baker only sees the top view and therefore bakes down psuedo geomtetry.

Parrallax mapping is the only type of mapping that can create shadows on itself.

compare.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Okay so it seems you approach it from a 2d point of view only, wich I guess is kindof a natural thing to assume since its all about texture tricks right? The thing is, thats not at all what going on. A baked normalmap accurately stores the difference in surface vector *orientation* between a high and lowpoly surface. There in nothing else than orientation data, aka angle aka normals.

This is why you have trouble seeing the difference in purpose between CB and XN. XN accurately stores the difference in orientation. There is no right or wrong or "not cool enough" way to use it. It just does it. Sure there are ways to boost a normalmap to make the angle differences even stronger, hence maybe cooler. But the question of, whether app X or Y produces better normal is absolutely meaningless.

To get a better feel of what these maps do, stop messing around with 2D solutions and just go for full 3D models, baked down. You will understand it all. Just do it.

Zac, I think he meant shading, not shadows. It's a common mistake/language abuse, I don't think he is talking about parallax at all.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    ...Er, ofc.

6a011016867240860d011017c716f4860e-500pi
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    Okay so it seems you approach it from a 2d point of view only, wich I guess is kindof a natural thing to assume since its all about texture tricks right? The thing is, thats not at all what going on. A baked normalmap accurately stores the difference in surface vector *orientation* between a high and lowpoly surface. There in nothing else than orientation data, aka angle aka normals.

This is why you have trouble seeing the difference in purpose between CB and XN. XN accurately stores the difference in orientation. There is no right or wrong or "not cool enough" way to use it. It just does it. Sure there are ways to boost a normalmap to make the angle differences even stronger, hence maybe cooler. But the question of, whether app X or Y produces better normal is absolutely meaningless.

To get a better feel of what these maps do, stop messing around with 2D solutions and just go for full 3D models, baked down. You will understand it all. Just do it.

Zac, I think he meant shading, not shadows. It's a common mistake/language abuse, I don't think he is talking about parallax at all.

Normal maps affect the surface of a piece of geometry so when light hits it, it doesn't just get the flat percentage of the lights intensity that it would normally receive, but it actually allows you to "warp" the normals without adding geometry (using a texture) to create the illusion of a more detailed surface.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    LoM Chaos, are you talking about the xnormal tools in photoshop? (height to normals etc) or the actual stand alone program? Obviously the big advantage of baking normals from a highpoly is that you get normal information from the bigger forms aswell. Crazybump normalmaps dont make your model seem smoother it only gives it more surface details. :o
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was only half kidding. Obviously people use all of these programs and various methods to make amazing normal maps, yes even 3dsmax. If you're getting crappy results in one or the other you need to work with it more and ask specific questions.

Right now you're asking "I found crazybump, it brings the boys to the yard, am I right!? Can I get a hellz yea!?"

yea its awesome, I wouldn't have bought a license from Ryan Clark (a long time PC member and author of crazybump, a really awesome guy) if crazybump didn't do a lot of great stuff very quickly.

They're all tools that have strengths and weaknesses. You need to find out what those are so you know which one is best for what job. How do you do that? Work with them more and ask specific questions.

If you're serious about exploring the pros and cons of those three methods I can give you my thoughts on each but you'll probably want more perspective than just mine.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like your Crazybump piece has a lot more detail in the spec/ao, causing better edge highlighting. What are the maps being output from each one? Posting those, rather than the finished results, will help us point out where the discrepancies are in the process.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: LOL. wrong thread. The perils of tabbed browsing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this is a pretty terrible NM thread, probably the worst i've ever seen on polycount. Congratulations!

First off, as stated multiple times you need to understand what a normal map is and how it works. This has been explained here already so i will skip that.

Now, if you understand how a normal map works, you should understand that the end result is directly related to your highpoly, lowpoly and bake. If the end result looks like shit, its because one of those 3 steps are shit.

1. If your highpoly mesh is shit, the end result will be shit. This is easy to tell. Simply look at your mesh, is it interesting all on its own?
    2. If your lowpoly mesh is shit, ie: you dont have enough geometry to support the shapes in your highpoly, bad uvs, etc the end result will be shit.
    3. If your bake is shit, ie: poor smoothing, poorly set up cage resulting in skewed details, or obvious seams, etc the end result will be shit.

So, you've finished your bake, threw some noisy overlay textures on it and it looks bad, who is to blame? Is it the software that is doing exactly what you tell it to do? Must be!

Now, as far as crazybump goes, it is an awesome tool that can help make details pop in your diffuse/spec textures(or generate normals from bump, but thats not what you're doing here). What you're using it for has absolutely nothing to do with your geometry bake, and thus no relevance for comparison. I would absolutely never ever want to see my bakes look like your "better" image right after baking, this would be terrible and mean that my bakes look nothing like my HP mesh, which is a bad thing if you've got a good HP mesh.

Its important to understand what sort of effects you can add to your textures to save time, and make things "pop", but its even more important in this case to realize that you need quality source to generate these effects from in the first place, and that without your bake you wouldn't even be able to use crazybump in the same fashion.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    Also, I don't understand how it works when there is no UV layout. I put in a photo source texture and ofc it came out sexy as hell but I don't know how I'd apply flat texture maps to something not even mapped.
    Sorry if these are noob questions but I've never used this beast before!
    from what I can tell from the op and even though everything that has been written here about normals, highs, lows, bakes etc is absolutely valid, before you even adress such issues as normal maps you should try to know a little bit more about uv mapping and basic texturing.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or steal beer from your older brother and get pissed!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    it seems you guys got trolled
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything you do with CrazyBump, you can do with photoshop and the NVidia normal map filter.

Crazybump (though I must say is very good at what it does for fear of getting shouted at) is still essentially a bunch of filters. Crazybump is only useful for making quick efforts at what you can do yourself if you spend the time learning.

I personally don't use CrazyBump (at home and work) as I feel that the more work a piece of software does for me, the less control I have over the final result. As the final result is what does the talking in my line of work as a game artist, I want to be the one who can sit there and say how every step of the texturing was done, without EVER having to say "I used a photograph and processed it through CrazyBump" and hearing the reply of a single clap, from a prospective employer.

What I mean to say is, CrazyBump is for beginners, or lazy professionals.

-Adam
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not really. Simply passing photographs through Crazybump is the wrong way to do it and yeah, that's lazy. It often requires a bit of extra input before you get proper results doing that (and doing those, I wouldn't call lazy either). However, it has lots of useful and speedy uses for professionals that I don't think you could call lazy, just practical and efficient - as professionals should be.

LoM Chaos: I did this a while back, might help you to understand a little of what's happening inside of CrazyBump (and the related filters or programs) to get you those results; http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9046/normalmapminitutrf7.jpg
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    ... However, it has lots of useful and speedy uses for professionals that I don't think you could call lazy, just practical and efficient - as professionals should be.

agreed, I was being a bit glib when I said it was for lazy professionals.

It should be noted though that a professional using CrazyBump, still has the knowledge to do what he/she does with CrazyBump, to do the same with Photoshop. I just think that it's important to note that as a beginner you should be more concerned with how crazybump works, and not how to use it.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry guys but i find this thread pretty hilarious.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is that buddy?

Then again, you did feel the need to reply and let everyone know, which is fair, I suppose... bell end.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's excited by the results he got from a tool and is exploring why that is. I can see where its a bit funny but honestly, I hope he never looses that. It's a good skill to have.

Is it a little annoying he constantly makes excuses for his art being semi-ok because of his age? Yea.

But does he know he needs an answer to a question he's not sure how to ask? Yea.
    At least he's figuring out the answers and refining the way he asks questions. Which is better than never putting himself out there and choosing to remain in the dark about things.

At PC, you might get slapped around a bit but you almost always get useful info.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad Spleen wrote: »
    agreed, I was being a bit glib when I said it was for lazy professionals.

It should be noted though that a professional using CrazyBump, still has the knowledge to do what he/she does with CrazyBump, to do the same with Photoshop. I just think that it's important to note that as a beginner you should be more concerned with how crazybump works, and not how to use it.

LOL I must really suck then, because I have never gotten decent results from the Nvidia Filter, and I find that CB gives me FAR more control over my end result, rather than taking any control away from me. I think you are sorely mistaken. A professional should always be using the best tools at his disposal, and anything else that improves his efficiency and end product.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    err learning how crazybump works is learning how to use it...

Yea you can do some of the same stuff in photoshop and the nvidia filter, with some tweaking and outside love can get you some decent results. But crazybump takes a lot of the manual steps and gives you a nice little interface and does a bunch of things for you right out of the box.

It's a bit like building a Rube Goldberg machine out of stuff you find laying around the house, just to make toast. Or just buying a toaster.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I'm backing out of this thread, it seems I'm mistaken.

"Professionals" use CrazyBump because it's more efficient.

NVidia filter doesn't give as good a result.

This isn't a dillemma, it's a farce.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ? If I want to pound a nail into a board, I can use a hammer, or I can use a rock. Both get me (relatively) the same result. Is it lazy to want to use the hammer?
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I'm back in after that ridiculous analagy.

What you meant to say to make sense is something like...

"I can use a hammer, or ask someone else to use the hammer to acheive the same result"

However getting someone else to do things for use is LAZY!

LazyBump, that's a far better name. If you have that much difficulty making normal maps (or hammering nails into wood) yourself using NVidia filter, then use LazyBump (get someone else to do it for you). As you say, you get the same results, but you get no better as an artist.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL have you even used it? I get better results, and can get it faster and easier. In my mind, that's what any good employee should strive for!

ETA: HA HA! I totally fell for the troll. . . my bad.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes a good employee would reuse and kit bash half of his portfolio to get a task done on time, but I don't think the same should be said of a good artist.

btw, no hard feelings, I hope this isn't coming across as anger, I like to debate with a guy as much as I like to drink with them.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    but you get no better as an artist.

Why are we even using these new fangled computerized device machines? They just do all the work for you and you don't get better as an artist. We should switch back to fingerpainting with reptile shit on cave walls, that's where the true skill lies.
  • Bad Spleen
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I'm back in after that ridiculous analagy.

What you meant to say to make sense is something like...

"I can use a hammer, or ask someone else to use the hammer to acheive the same result"

However getting someone else to do things for use is LAZY!

LazyBump, that's a far better name. If you have that much difficulty making normal maps (or hammering nails into wood) yourself using NVidia filter, then use LazyBump (get someone else to do it for you). As you say, you get the same results, but you get no better as an artist.
    More like:
    Option A) You can take 2 dozen drunken steps through a mine field to get across a field.
    Highly likely you'll screw up and someone will have to clean up your bloody carcass.

Option B) Take the zip line.
    Get across the field so fast you have time to stop for a lap dance.

You're argument makes about as much sense as forcing programmers to write all their code out using pen and paper first.

The Nvidia filter needs a lot of outside help to get decent results, which is why I compare it to a Rube Goldberg machine. You can even ignore it all together and get better results. But honestly Crazybump is easier to use, gives great highly tweakable results really fast. The fact that you can tweak and see the results in a preview saves a mother f-ton of time right there.

Top: Nivida Filter
    NvidiaFilterIsGarbage.jpg
    Bottom: Mike's home brew normal map PhotoShop Script (that uses Xnormals normalize).

Personally I can get better results from the source using Crazybump in half the time it took to make either of those. If you're trusting the 5+ year old Nvidia filter to get the job done you're delusional.

You're purest attitude is using some pretty retarded logic.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Slum

idiot.
    wow... just wow.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Spleen have you ever made a game
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    wow... just wow.

moron.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lol took me too long to write shit EQ, please link me to stuff soon enough so that I can post :p KTHX !!!!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spleen, I guess what pisses me off, ISN'T that you don't like Crazybump, fuck if you want to paint all your normal maps with watercolors and then scan them in, be my fucking guest, I couldn't care less. What pisses me off is that you're claiming that any artist who DOES use CB is lazy and incompetent.
    Now that I think about it, I actually don't even have a problem with you calling me lazy. IMO, any artist worth his salt SHOULD be lazy in some respects, and should ALWAYS be looking for ways to make his life easier while maintaining or improving the quality of his results. . .
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I've just read thru all of your posts and clearly, you all know what you are talking about. Thats why I came to polycount. Again, I'm sorry for sounding noobish and perhaps even childish.
    Thanks for taking your time to reply.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything you do with CrazyBump, you can do with photoshop and the NVidia normal map filter.

Crazybump (though I must say is very good at what it does for fear of getting shouted at) is still essentially a bunch of filters. Crazybump is only useful for making quick efforts at what you can do yourself if you spend the time learning.

I personally don't use CrazyBump (at home and work) as I feel that the more work a piece of software does for me, the less control I have over the final result. As the final result is what does the talking in my line of work as a game artist, I want to be the one who can sit there and say how every step of the texturing was done, without EVER having to say "I used a photograph and processed it through CrazyBump" and hearing the reply of a single clap, from a prospective employer.

What I mean to say is, CrazyBump is for beginners, or lazy professionals.

-Adam

Wow, really? I mean, are you serious here? You cant possibly think that any employer would ever care that you spent MORE time to get the SAME result on an asset, like that is something to brag about? This is a negative to anyone with half a brain. Game studios, contrary to what you may think, operate on tight deadlines with the goal of producing content at the most efficient pace. If you can do something just as good as the next guy, in less time, this is the most powerful asset you could possibly hold as a prospective employee.

I would really like to know what video game college you went to that beat this foolish opinion into your head, because it sure as fuck didn't come from actually working in the games industry.
This discussion has been closed.