Home General Discussion

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority (in America)

Replies

• ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Lolz they have it all wrong, they are opening the wrong way round, black mean its ripe and why would god concentrate all its efforts on a food source, and for that just one?!- to be fair its an awesome fruit and perfect for 'those' ventures into the unknown(well with the economy the way it is, need to have a few cut backs here and there), god you saucy devil.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Atheists are not the only people who have thought long and hard about religion or use logic to examine the world or ask questions nor are they more intelligent than religious people. Atheists are no more enlightened than anyone else.

Science and God can coexist.

"...science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind ... a legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist." - Albert Einestein
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr wrote: »
    Atheists are not the only people who have thought long and hard about religion or use logic to examine the world or ask questions nor are they more intelligent than religious people. Atheists are no more enlightened than anyone else.

Science and God can coexist.

"...science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind ... a legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist." - Albert Einestein

Yea I agree, I had quite a few priests at the catholic school I attended who were quite happy to let science/evolution co-exist with their faith.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I dont see what all this believing in "God" or not believing in "God" talk is all about because Zeus is about to come lighting bolt your asses.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    My earth-science teacher junior year of college was a full out robe wearing Franciscan friar or somthin. He seemed pretty on the ball on the whole science and religion co-existence deal.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    wait, am I reading what I think I am reading!? I conversation about religion and science that is ending in nods and smiles all round what the hell has happened to us?? this is the INTERWEBZ!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We all love each other? Even though we think everyone is wrong?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You know who i don't trust? Retards. Those guys fuck EVERYTHING up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Lamont wrote: »
    There are stupid people regardless of religious belief. You can be a Christian and still be a stellar scientist. You can be an Atheist and still have faith.

no, you can be a non christian, or an agnostic and still have faith.

Atheist is by very definition devoid of theism and religious faith.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Thor kicks zeus ass, cos he got a a hammer, and goats that makes thundering sounds when they grind their teeth.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    SupRore wrote: »

He didn't say RELIGIOUS faith.

I have faith in my loved ones, and that is enough of a reward to me. Being fulfilled when I die.

Of course that will be a long time from now...
    Sandbag wrote: »
    is it ironic that when reading this thread all of the atheists involved in the discussion are well displayed as arrogant assholes who tell everyone else that their beliefs are wrong and stupid and if only everyone was as smart as they were they'd understand how wrong they really are?

I hope I don't seem arrogant, and sorry if I do. This thread is about belief, so we are sharing our belief.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    "All of us are Atheist about Zeus, Apollo, Thor, and Ra, some of us just take it one god further." - Richard Dawkins My Hero!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15

Joopson wrote: »
    He didn't say RELIGIOUS faith.
    Ding ding!!

As an person who doesn't believe in any particular god or God, it's refreshing. Notice I didn't call myself Atheist. It allows me to go to church on Sunday with my grandma when she asks me to. Wish greetings to Jewish friends. I practice Lint and fasting with a Catholic friend. Pray to Mecca with my cousin. Go to temple on Saturday, and practice Shinto with the family and go to ceremony's.

The "Oh I'm Super Educated and Enlightened Atheist" shouting that these people are wrong for having a faith and a belief system in a "fairy-tale" is down right wrong. Have you died and come back? Religion is not a problem, it's the fanatics within the religion with skewed interpretations that's the problem. A persons faith is what gets them through the day, every day. A a religious/non-religious spiritual foundation is something to be proud of.

What seem to be lacking is a big dose of respect.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I hate god for making us atheists appear this way, rite guise?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Lamont wrote: »
    Ding ding!!

As an person who doesn't believe in any particular god or God, it's refreshing. Notice I didn't call myself Atheist. It allows me to go to church on Sunday with my grandma when she asks me to. Wish greetings to Jewish friends. I practice Lint and fasting with a Catholic friend. Pray to Mecca with my cousin. Go to temple on Saturday, and practice Shinto with the family and go to ceremony's.

The "Oh I'm Super Educated and Enlightened Atheist" shouting that these people are wrong for having a faith and a belief system in a "fairy-tale" is down right wrong. Have you died and come back? Religion is not a problem, it's the fanatics within the religion with skewed interpretations that's the problem. A persons faith is what gets them through the day, every day. A a religious/non-religious spiritual foundation is something to be proud of.

What seem to be lacking is a big dose of respect.

Not to be presumptuous, but it looks like your philosophical system is more Gnostic or Agnostic than it is atheist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    "All of us are Atheist about Zeus, Apollo, Thor, and Ra, some of us just take it one god further." - Richard Dawkins My Hero!

Dawkins demontrates quite a great knowledge of anthropology and mythology and religion, and his stance is not based on 'NUH UH, VANILLA COKE IS THE BEST' at all.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    SupRore wrote: »
    Not to be presumptuous, but it looks like your philosophical system is more Gnostic or Agnostic than it is atheist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Dawkins demonstrates quite a great knowledge of anthropology and mythology and religion, and his stance is not based on 'NUH UH, VANILLA COKE IS THE BEST' at all.
    "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes."

wyld-stallyns.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Seems as though we're all "preaching to the choir" about how great atheism is.

I gotta say though it takes a lot of faith for most of us to be on these forums in itself. Not faith in a god but some form of blind ignorance to think you can make it as a computer artist or game designer. To think it's better to "follow your dreams" than to listen to what everyone else has told you to do. If that's not faith I don't know what is.

Just somethin' to think about!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    rooster wrote: »
    look we're all jusy hyper evolved monkeys scratching a living on a big ball of slowly dying rock hurtling through space

hmm, it does sound a little pessimistic

Or rather, it sounds a little like Joe Rogan, which is a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.