Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique second iteration

I broke it down as simple as I can get it to the point 1 click to the art work.

none of this flashy stuff, thanks for providing the links to research what I needed to know.

I made corrections errors and provided all my info.

if you guys can offer any other suggestions and point out anything else that I miss would be most appreciated.

thanks again

www.delvoltaart.com

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Man, that's so much better. The images took quite a while to load, but that's probably my shitty connection.

Nice one. :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You already got my comments on this mate for the characters and the lighting hehe.

Now, your environments. I really like your first environment, but I like it from the top view, not the bottom view. For some reason, it just looks more interesting, and works from the top. Might be because thats the way you designed it. It would encourage you to make a character for it. Reminds me a lot of Diablo and I can see this being one level to a game. Make more man!
    Your second environment needs work on the lighitng. Its pretty uniform throughout the entire piece, and has no focal points at all. This makes everything very flat in the end. I say kill the ambient light and just use those point lights to fill the scene.

Your props, especially the concepts, are great, but the texture work falls a little short of the execution. This is a great example of the level of detail your textures need to be. Apply that to your models and they would look killer.

Thats all for know mate hehe. One last note, would make the background 95-90% black. That probably personal taste, but straight black is a bit diluting.
  • Delvolta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks paul, Yea that guys is great, I am inspired to do another gun piece. so keep and eye out for the next one I make.
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice.. great work.. just one thing, uhm, that thumbnail for the sword looks to me like some kind of double girls toy if you know what i mean=P so maybe take another picture of it and put there.. other than that the design of the portfolio is clean and idiot proof..
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Just one small thing - don't all-caps your resume - and stick to a normal font - for one thing it's just easier to scan read - we look more at shapes of words that the letters, and all-caps makes that hard to do, also means you won't miss out if they quickly jot down an email or whatever but type/write it wrong.

Like the simplicity of the site, good to be able to get at the meat right off the front page. :)
  • Delvolta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stertman wrote: »
    looks nice.. great work.. just one thing, uhm, that thumbnail for the sword looks to me like some kind of double girls toy if you know what i mean=P so maybe take another picture of it and put there.. other than that the design of the portfolio is clean and idiot proof..

hahaha, maybe it can cause curiosity to check it out. thats makes total sense on scan through the resume. i will do that. thanks
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I would have descriptions about the pieces in general. Like how long it took programs used etc. Also for your resume page its just a image make it so it is actual text.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Maybe I missed this, but why isn't your full name at the front page?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yes, that's more comfortable to view, last one was hardass.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I somehow like hte layout, but one point on it:
    it doesn't fit fully into my browserwindow in height (1050, Widescreen not that uncommon I guess), but got massive free space to the left and right side. May I suggest that you Arrange it that there is no scrolling needed at all?

Another point.
    I don't know what whats_true critizied about the lighting, but it seems somehow.... flat? especially on the characters, like they are missing a specular source or something... what are you using to view them?
  • Delvolta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique,

I went back and added rim light on my art to separate it from each other and to pop it out more. also added the breakdown on the environments and flyby videos.

and I also tweak other parts of the web.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hmm nice and clean - quick loading too...buuuuttt a little un-exciting? maybe put some color or personality into when you have time?

question: i was wondering what purpose the javascript serves in your html doc...