Home Technical Talk

Looking for Edge Loop Critique

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
hey guys, i'm new to this, and dear lord is learning good ethics stressful. i've been looking at a lot of face models which are considered to be "properly looped"...but there are thousands of variations within what's considered good work.

so, i just scanned for edge loops that seemed to be present in all of them, and then just kind of winged the rest. poles drive me crazy, but they're inevitable. please let me know what looks unnecessary.

keep in mind i'm not looking for proportions critique, simply a look at the health of my loop distribution and other filler topology. the proportions are stylized as such.

oldmeinglp1.jpg

and here is the side view. now i know that the ear is supposed to be tricky, but i seriously spent about an hour and a half trying to figure out a sound way to do this, and i'm still not really happy with it. would the be considered acceptable?
oldmeinglpside1.jpg

and here is with some detail after i projected a few changes.
oldmeinghp.jpg

Replies

• vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few short notes...
    - bridge of the nose and lower part of mouth/chin could use some more geometry, you have some pretty elongated and big polygons there... and maybe the eye/chin area could use some as well
    - I usually try to keep a single uninterrupted loop going through the middle of the object; here you have some diamond shaped quads interrupting this loop
    - kinda hard to talk about the rest because 1. your head doesn't really have clearly defined forms, it's a bit underdeveloped and 2. evaluating topology usually requires an unsubdivided base mesh
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks meing. i'll get on cleaning those areas up. also, how do feel about the ear? does that pass as acceptable?
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, addressed those problems. fixed a few poles that were bothering me, but i kind of made more of a mess i feel. made my poly count go up quite a bit.

which is preferable, the first set or these:
    oldmeinglp2.jpg
    oldmeinglpside2.jpg