Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Rambo Snyder, Environment / Prop Artist

Hey guys, i have recently graduated and would like to get some critique if possible. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about the pieces of my reel and my reel as a whole.

Any critique that could help me in future projects would be the most helpful, as im looking to start unearthly challenge and would like to continue to improve.

Any and all critique is greatly appreciated, be it on my reel, an individual piece or even my website.

Here is a link to my website www.rambosnyder.com , the demo reel section can be found at http://rambosnyder.com/demoreel.html and a HD version of my demo reel can be found at http://vimeo.com/6496010

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice, looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount

Be sure to check out the article from the Your Portfolio Repels Jobs thread. Then polish up your site/demo reel, then keep cranking out better and better work until you land a job. Good luck and keep at it :)

As for your current stuff.

I think you should get rid of any intro/splash pages and link people straight to your gallery.

For your gallery ditch the pic lens thing and go with straight up html and images. Loading different plugins to see your work is quite irritating, makes your work look worse, and makes it take too many clicks to get to your work.

Your resume page is sort of blinding being pure white words on pure black.

Demo Reel:

Is this for a game art job? If so then:

Way, way too slow to start to get to anything interesting. Imagine if someone was to watch your reel without any sound as I did, what kind of impression would it make then? I think you should take out the shots that say "Breakdown" they aren't necessary.

It might that because I'm an environment artist that I find your Werewolf Village the most interesting, you should put that first on the reel. The problem with the Werewolf Village though is that you barely show any breakdown info. Same for everything else where are the triangle counts on assets? where are the texture sheets?

The old film style post effect is hurting the evaluation of your models as it's making everything less visible and clear. I think the "breakdown" shot of your aircraft hanger looked much better without all the effects.

Artwork:

Is this supposed to be a game art reel? If so your aircraft has like a million extra edge loops that aren't contributing to it's silhouette.
  • Rambo20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna: Thanks for all your critique, its all very welcome. My reel is more targeted towards game art, however I don't want to be tied to game art. I was thinking of going back and adding more breakdowns and texture sheets. I agree that the plane does have much to many edge loops. I was thinking of going back and reducing it, however, i was thinking my time would be better spent on new projects, such as unearthly.

I do agree it does take much to long to get into my work, i also feel that the poker scene may be on screen to long. As for the film grain effect, do you think it would be good to keep maybe just toned down so it isnt taking away from my work.

Thank you for the link to the article I'm sure it will be very helpful, I'm going to check it out now.

Thanks again for the critique.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lose the film grain, post processing on the images. People want to see your modelling and texturing, not the funky things you can do in post. At best, it distracts from what you are capable of, at worst it makes people wonder what your are trying to hide/compensate for. My suggestion owuld be, if you are wedded to the look, maybe add a couple at the end of the folio as an example of your post skills, with a before and after shot.

And wires, flats and info such as poly count is pretty essential in games work. less so in other...maybe...but having info people appreciate but don't need is better than not having info they consider vital!

Good luck (I'm making my folio site now and am watching all new ones like a hawk for tips and ideas!)

~P~