Home Technical Talk

SOme questions

How would I link say a gun to a character? Like in game, a gun is carried on the back and then it animates into place? If I link as usual it breaks the animation. This also applies to other things like armor pieces etc. Also are there any Tutorials anyone can reccomend?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    sorry for the nagging but:
    - use a proper title next time - so more and better qualified people can answer this
    - note perhaps what package you use (max?, maya?,..) - again get better help with this
    - maybe change that screaming signature

as for the linking in animations - the easiest way would be to use animation layers in which you animate motions separate and then mix them (interpolate) them together. That way you can override certain weights of the animations (like making sure it moves back to an initial spot/ hold position). I do this often for idle and looping animations where I can add some animations snippets I created before to make sure it goes back and out from the right pose or state.
    But like mentioned before if you would spit out some more info like which software you could get more specifics.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive tried shrinking the signature, theres no size option in the sig page, you guys have small signatures, I dont know what the problem is. IM using max 2008, to be more specific, IN a video I had made, I used a character that was displaying a shotgun, but I had to animate the shotgun around with the char instead of the shotgun following on its own. The issue was when I linked the animation went haywire, I dont know how to turn a link "on" one keyframe, and off another keyframe without issues.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I fixed your sig.

You should key the link changing from the hand to the back in the duration of one frame. Otherwise it will interpolate between spaces and go all crazy.
    If it needs to move a distance from his hand to his back without "popping", then you should be able to change the Link constraint to use "World" as the parent for a few frames, animate the gun moving in that time, then key the Link onto the back.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for fixing my Sig MOP. Thx for the info too man.