Home General Discussion

Halo 3: ODST Live Action Trailer "We Are ODST"

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Rox wrote: »
    Shock troops. The idea is to get them past the frontline and clear out vulnerable or critical targets from behind. Often to clear a landing zone for dropships in the middle of hostile territory. One-man pods aren't particularly vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire and are very hard to detect when dropped from orbit.

But you're right, they'd never drop into the middle of an ongoing battle.

Yup. It's basically the same thing they did on D-Day with the paratroopers. The most you can do to protect against something like that is to use flak shells with anti-aircraft guns, but even then the targets are so small that you're unlikely to hit much. If they were pods that dropped from orbit, they'd be almost impossible to hit because of how fast they'd be going combined with how small they'd be.

As for the trailer... eh. I've never really been very interested in the Halo franchise, but the production quality for this short seemed pretty high. It's quality work, but quality work I've seen before.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I always gripe about stuff in the Halo series, but yet I've played them all front to back beginner to legendary in co-op (10x better than played alone)...so obviously they've got something going on that I like.

I really enjoyed the trailer, despite being cheesy at times I thought it felt quite epic. A nice display of "we're not master chief, we're ODST, and this is ODST means."

Definitely going to pick the game up when it hits shelves, the first game I'll jump at so quickly since Resident Evil 5. It just seems like no matter what happens or if it's cheesy or whatever I know I'll enjoy playing the game. It's also one of the few things I can still do with my younger brother now that I'm in Texas and he's back in IL.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion wrote: »
    It's the oh-so-typical mournful bagpipe music bit that got me. If you take the Starship Troopers movie and dress it up with some Battlestar Galactica TV style, you get this trailer. Neither is bad, but there wasn't anything here I haven't already seen many times over.

Also, the 'tactic' of dropping soldiers from orbit right into the middle of a pitched battle is retarded.

Actually, ODST is closer to the Starship Troopers novel than the movie. They just need power armor and mini nukes.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    TheSplash wrote: »

One thing that bothers me about this commercial and the ones for halo 3... is that they are super gritty done in a realistic war film style, but that not at all what the games are like. I find this to be a bit deceptive, considering the halo universe is known for its bright colours and wacky alien design.

yeah. tottaly agreed. I love the halo style for what it is but for actually playing the game its probably what turned me off the most. Feels really cartoony. I been keeping an eye on ODST because of the new tone its being presented in: slightly more realistic design.

kick ass commercial.