Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior Girl

Replies

• Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.

No outline? Gotcha. The boobies were moved out slightly, but the eyes looked kinda odd when I did that, so I left them alone.
    Elliedone.png

I moved her forehead a bit so it's not parallel to the lower face, but I can't post a shot right now cause something screwed up all of the textures... =_=
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Lol..sorry my suggesstion screw up your texture..actually I'm not moving her forhead but instead her chin area in a bit.
    Just save the edited image that I posted before and go through back and forth with the original one that you have. You can see which part that I actually edit. Her forehead looks ok to me..

No outline?..I kinda like the outline though heheh..how did you do that?..

_Revel
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, it wasn't your suggestion that did it. Keeps saying that my "System has run out of memory". I had a Toon shader for the outline.

Also, Polycount, what's your opinion of making the hair move via ragdolling rather than animating?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the first enemies you meet, a Shroomster. This was the easiest thing to rig. Ever.
    Shroomster01-1.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Wow, just shot from the fist to the last page,... what a difference in quality! The texture look like loads of ambience, which makes me blink, maybe that is necessary for where they are going,.... nice stuff :)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, I did a quick paintover of your model:
    paintover.jpg

Some quick notes on what I thought could use improvement:
    - Keep the highlights on the hair under control. Beware that highlights create contrast which in turn attract attention, and you want to be careful where and how you attract attention to different areas (specifically referring to the highlights you had on the front hair bangs). Reshaped the hair a bit so that it didn't look so tight to the head in front view. Added some hair on the side of the face to help frame things better.
    - The skin was kind of yellowish and jaundiced. Saturation in general could be increased.
    - Reshaped the face to what I feel is more typical for anime-styled characters. The shape of the face is very important. Moved the eyes back slightly. Moved the ears forward and down a bit. Moved the whole face back a little (the underside of the chin was too long). Moved the mouth up and forward more. You should be careful with the chin as it should be fine and somewhat pointed, but you don't want to emphasize it too strongly.
    - Adjusted the shape of the chest a bit and some other design details. In the case of armor breastplate, it might make more sense to simplify the shape of the chest instead of the individual breast cup look (at least for this kind of torso armor).
    - I'm not sure exactly what kind of rendering style you're shooting for, but I think the model could use some more lighting and shadows painted in. The color scheme of the character in general could also be improved. Experiment with warmer or cooler variations of the colors you have now to try and find a better balance. When you paint a shadow or a highlight try to avoid simply picking a lighter or darker version of the base color. Think about how warm the shadow might be on the skin or how cool the highlights might be in other areas. Although I did not really demonstrate this here, doing this will help your model feel more natural and interesting.

Hope that helps. Of course, these are just ways I think you could bring your model more closely in line with conventional anime characters, but perhaps you had something different in mind. Regardless, you've made good progress already. Hope to see more updates on the texture.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with this paintover
  • Stinyzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, the progress in this thread alone is amazing. Keep up the good work, I really want to see how the other heroes turn out too!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with you on the modifications to the side view, but I'm not feeling the front one. The designs aren't really supposed to be conventionally styled. Quite a nice critique, though.

New version of Van, the ninja
    Vandone-1.png
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi dude, good to see the ninja back! T have a suggestion about him: I think the symmetry on the hair and also on his mouth cover, the folding of the cloth is kinda weird you need to break up the symmetry..As for the hair its ok on the side view but in the front and back you need some variation on the length/ each on them point at a different direction/ etc. well again to break up the symmetry.

_Revel
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2000yearsoldman polycounter lvl 13
    Your characters remind me a lot of Final Fantasy DS remake characters.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, Revel.

Rawrg pose
    Vanpose-1.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having some weighting problems with the hair:
    hairprob1.png
    Some of them seem to be sticking together too much near the end. They're weighed thusly:
    hairprob2.png
    The strands closest to the bone are weighed at 100%, and the next is 75%, then 50%, and then 25%. What should I do?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The previous problem is still open.

Gil
    Gildone-2.png
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cool Thread. About the Weighting. Start with each strand at 100 percent per appropriate bone. Now with the lowest level bone (child) then at the bones joint blend it 40 to 50 percent into the parent of that bone.

The problem you are currently having appears to be because you have your bones blended with the bones next to them, which aren't part of the same hierarchy.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That helped. Thanks Brad

New background on the presentation shots
    Elliepose2_sm2.jpg
    Gilpose2_sm2.jpg
    Vanpose2_sm2.jpg
    Group_big2.jpg

I'm about to begin animating them. If I'm going to give the hair/cape/coat ragdoll physics in the engine, I don't need to worry about animating those bits, right?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really like your stuff. Reminds me of windwaker.
  • Lord McMutton
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey look, doors!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcU9mGQOvxg[/ame]

How do the animations look?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third time's the charm
    Ellienewdone.png
    Ellienewdonenoarm.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    wow, most recent texture is awesome, i really like your painting style :) best of luck with your game, what platform are you making this for?
  • Deady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deady polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I've gotta admit, came into this thread, was kinda "eugh" about the model, saw you taking advice, and goddamn.

You took her a long way from what you started with, and the fact that a simple character project like that is turning into a full fledged game project is awesome. Give whoever is doing the music a pat on the back. I'm liking where this is going.

Also, the mushroom is awesome.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Excellent work on that last texture, it's looking really sharp! That's a great improvement from the first post. Nice job!
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Stunning improvement sir! The hair swoosh in the bangs is still a little strong IMO. What haikai said a while back is more in line with drawing the eye to the character's face rather than her hair. I think you could use a little bit more shadow under her shirt to help show the belly and give the cloth a bit more pop. I had to look 3x before I noticed that her skin was actually showing there. Her blue jeans blend in with the side leg armor pieces (whatever those are called). She just needs a bit of AO to help break the shadow tone in the armor with the blue ton of the pants. The dark tone at the part in the hair is a bit distracting as well. If you bring the shading up into the "top" section of the part it will really help to sell that and from the side view you should be able to remove the jarring line that shows up at the top of her head. I also liked the painting you had before for the long strands on the back of her head. Now you can see each individual chunk of geo and it looks kinda blah IMO.

Great looking though!

Edit: I see why the big change from the armor pieces...they are modular! haha, alright, if you add a darker crease to the edge of the armor pieces that will help to break it off the pants...since you can't very well darken under it once you remove the armor. How many different texture sheets are you using? size? Is there any reason you can't have 2 different diffuse sheets? One with armor on, one with armor off?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely take the suggestions and fix her up later on. I don't think it'd be a good idea to have another 1024 square texture for some shadows. I can totally make the edges of the armour more defined, though.

I'm planning on releasing it for the PC, hopefully via Steam.

And speaking of the Shroomster, I've made two more:
    Sters.jpg

The bomb flower one is basically a Kamikaze: they'll run up and explode on ye. The Shroomsters run up and attempt a weak dive tackle. The cacti don't do much. They're pretty much plastered all the time:
    roll.gif
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far man, the only crit I have is the feet, the just feel to small to actually be able to balance the bodies properly but that might just be a design thing ^^ I'd try to make em a tad longer just to see how looks.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Whoa! I was not too impressed with the models on the first page, but I noticed that you had a good attitude towards criticism so I was interested in seeing if you improved. I was not disappointed! This is explosive growth dude, keep it up!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Like others have said you have truly made great strides of improvements, I am honestly impressed!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank'eh, gents. Means a lot to hear it.

Stuff dump:

Decided to have the big guy, Gil, use hafted weapons instead of huge swords. Here's his starting weapon:
    gilaxe.png

And a sword that Ellie gets later on in the game:
    sealedsword4.png

Part of a thing:
    StoneOrnament.pngAhNaw.png

A concept for these things called Wayfarers:
    Wayfarer.jpg

Yusssssss.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This stuff looks fun to animate. It's really improved over your first rendition.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Nice texture improvements. For the pink hair girl, the long parts of the hair looks like it's separate from the top/base of the hair though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Third time's the charm
    Ellienewdone.png
    Ellienewdonenoarm.png

Great work, I think you're over defining the boobs in the texture though, if you play them down with less or even no shadowing, they will look more realistic to the style. Nowhere else do you have such harsh shadows, currently they conflict with having the armpits at fullbright.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    As everyone else has said, you've made some massive improvements on these models.

Mostly referring to the pink haired girl, here is some criticism on the way you've exaggerated the features: Her elbows look a bit too high, the seem look really chunky for a slender character, her neck looks thicker than the collar, I'd do more texture painting (especially the pants), her feet still seem too small to me, and her legs are stiff.

The way her pants/boots are designed, I would think that the leather band between the pants and boots wraps around her knee. Because of the way that the boots are shaped, it makes me think that the calf muscles (gastrocnemius) are below that band. I don't know if that's the bottom of the pants or the top of the boots, but if thats where the knees are, it seems 1)anatomically too low, even for a cartoon and 2)not comfortable.

I also think that it would look better if her shirt was another color, even red, as its sort of clashing with her hair. Her breasts seem to be individually defined. I once made the same mistake on a model when I was in school. Google "Cat Woman". Unless the top is specifically designed with individual cups, it shouldn't look like that.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    hawken wrote: »
    Great work, I think you're over defining the boobs in the texture though, if you play them down with less or even no shadowing, they will look more realistic to the style. Nowhere else do you have such harsh shadows, currently they conflict with having the armpits at fullbright.

I was about to say this same thing and then saw hawken beat me to it, so I'll just say I second the above. :)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeeeah, I like boobs too much. I'll be fixing those when I get back on this project... Did I mention I'm putting KoE on hold? The reason is so that I can work on another game project(Badass Zombie Slayer), which I'll be able to finish far sooner and sell, enabling me to escape from my crappy job that's hogging all of my time.

But yeah, I'll get back on this and act on the critiques whenever I pick it up again. Thanks, guys!