Home General Discussion

sleep paralysis

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Parnell wrote: »
    This sounds like you guys are really just being abducted by aliens.
    B

actually, one time its precisely what i believed was happening to me. scary shit, until im able to jerk myself out of it - it takes super will and determination. just keep pushing until u snap out man... kinda feels like lifting a huge brick off ur chest. its scary. i remember one time trying to shout to my parents for help... tried and tried, as loud as i could, a rawr practically but couldn't make more than the slightest whisper. brrrr.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    hobodactyl wrote: »
    For anyone experiencing lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis, etc. I really recommend picking up some books on astral travel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

I know some people think this is new age mumbo-jumbo, but anyone who has experienced it knows that it's very real, and it's something anyone can learn to do. I think for people that experience terrifying sleep paralysis, for example, learning about astral projection can show you how to turn these terrifying experiences into very powerful spiritual journeys.

I've been studying/practicing to achieve OBEs and astral projection, etc. so if anyone would like to talk about it more or anything PM me or just message me on MSN :)

If you haven't ever had a conscious OBE I suggest practicing it, it can be amazing :D If you're interested you can find some good info here: gnosticweb.com

EDIT: OBE = Out of Body Experience ;)

Yup. I had my first sleep paralysis when I was about 14. It scared the shit out of me so I did some research and found out it was closely related to lucid dreaming, which was something I had always been very interested in. I also learned about astral projection in the mean time and became very interested in it too.

So I started to do the exercises and after about 3 months I had the first experiences. I actually learned how to induct sleep paralysis and enjoy it. Despite never being really able to stay focused until the lucid dream/astral projection kicked off I still managed to have 2 lucid dreams and one astral projection when I wasn't really trying to.

The astral projection experience was interesting. It was quite realistic in the beginning, I saw my parents in the living room and started flying up high. And then some funky shit started to happen and it all turned into a normal fantasy dream :)

I regret not keeping up with the exercises though. Maybe I'll start doing them again... it's really worth the effort!

Tip: It's easier to induct sleep paralysis when you aren't too tired or when taking naps in the afternoon.

On the other hand I also wonder if I was just dreaming of being lucid, if you get what I mean. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I've had these quite a few times, usually around periods of immense stress. But my last one my wife said she saw that I was awake, but un-responsive. It freaked her out a lot. When I get them, I know it after a few moments and I just go with it. Eventually I am able to move again.

From these moments, I've had two awesome stories engraved in my mind.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I've had this occur a few times in my past. The last time being at Uni which was about 6 years ago now. I do think it's stress related and possibly linked to being put in new situations, for me anyhow.

I've had a few crazy dreams whilst I've been in Canada but nothing like what I experienced at Uni. The shadows on the wall, figures in my room, sheets being pulled off, unable to move or scream etc etc. Not had the Old Hag though. That would just about finish me off. Interesting though how it persists in other cultures around the world and how they attach there own names and ideas to it.

Here's a video just to shit people up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4c0o9L_21c&feature=related]Scaryoldhag[/ame]
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Well, I've had some related experiences in my early years ( with somnambulism... ) and 2 sleep paralysis some years ago ( around 20 ).
    The first one was powerful... but I found that it was easiest for me to stop the thing during my second time :o

Despite of that, I don't think there is a real OBE experience. That's just imagination control.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I found these really nice videos on youtube:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV4vEDPkB0&feature=PlayList&p=FE64F4EEE7624CA4&index=0[/ame]

They teach you how you can lucid dream; I was able to have a lucid dream the first night of trying the technique from these vids :D (Sunday night I had a lucid dream, it was pretty awesome :D)
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun wrote: »
    actually, one time its precisely what i believed was happening to me. scary shit, until im able to jerk myself out of it - it takes super will and determination. just keep pushing until u snap out man... kinda feels like lifting a huge brick off ur chest. its scary. i remember one time trying to shout to my parents for help... tried and tried, as loud as i could, a rawr practically but couldn't make more than the slightest whisper. brrrr.

Monsters for me here. Its creepy as shit. I've found that you can still use the muscles you'd normally be able to use while sleeping, so you can still control your eyes and your breathing. Not really helpful if no one is around, but I've made it sound like I'm hyper-ventilating a few times in order to get help from someone else. Either that or concentrate on just moving a single part of your body, like your fingers or hands.

...also to the astral projection stuff being mentioned: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html :P
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Illusions wrote: »
    ...also to the astral projection stuff being mentioned: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html :P

It's something you can experience for yourself, you don't need a magician to prove or disprove it :P I brought it up because regardless of if you think it's "real" or not, it can definitely help people with dealing with sleep paralysis.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/double-blind/pear-cable-calls-james-randis-1-million-offer-a-hoax-307473.php

http://www.naturalnews.com/025627.html

I don't know who's "right", but Randi doesn't seem to be any more trustworthy than the people he's trying to disprove.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Man, what surprises me here is how LATE in life everyone seems to be getting these. Late, in relation to when I used to get this, which was probably around 5 or so years old.

For many years I thought it was just they were really bad nightmares, where for some reason I couldn't move... but I'm pretty sure I'd heard this term some time ago and realized this must be what they were.

When I was really little, I would often get really horrible nightmares, can't really remember much of what was going on, but I remember it would get so scary I would get to a point where I would think--OH, this is a dream! Wake up, wake up, wake up. And first, opening my eyes would seem impossible, that I couldn't escape the dream. But then I would finally get my eyes open--only to realize I couldn't move, and no matter how wide I opened my mouth, couldn't scream.
    In my imagination, I thought it was that I was tied up, hands and feet, to something like a rack. And I guess I thought it was my imagniary friends who tied me up (believe it or not, as a kid, they were Mario, Luigi, and co :P Yes, I was destined to be a gamer geek even then). Anyway, first I'd get my voice back and scream my head off, and shortly after I would be able to move, so I would leap out of my bed and run screaming to go hide in my parents room. I can still remember the sensataion of not being able to make my limbs move...

They slowly went away as I got older--can't even say how often they happened, it was too long ago now :P But of the few memories I have from that age, this is still a pretty clear one.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    This is good stuff, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've had this occasionally before, but it's increased a lot lately. Probably because I'm really stressed. It's much like you describe it, but never that long though. I usually wake up (even though I feel certain that I already am) pretty fast. It's usually people or creatures approaching me, coming through the door or windows.

This night I died in a nuclear blast. But that was just a regular dream, non of this freaky shit ;)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Has anyone had dreams where their asleep within a dream.

I've had a dream where I'm in bed In a dream and then I start to literally sink into my bed. I would get scared and then grab onto the sides or wake up. A few times I did just let myself go and then it was like falling down into a deep ocean I could hear the water bubbling around me I could breath, or I didnt really need to breath. It would get darker and then I would dissapear, and have strange dreams.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Calabi wrote: »
    Has anyone had dreams where their asleep within a dream.

Yup

But a regular one :)
    Just did some dream, then woke up, and go for a normal day ( like going to school... ), and some hours later ( in dream time ) I woke up again, but for real.
    A bit weird heh
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    But a regular one :)
    Just did some dream, then woke up, and go for a normal day ( like going to school... ), and some hours later ( in dream time ) I woke up again, but for real.
    A bit weird heh

I get those except I wake up really late for work. Sometimes a day late.

I also had a dream where I woke up and I could do telekenesis, it was so vivid I could almost describe the physical process by which I was able to do it. I practiced while I was still in bed then I went out and caused a bit of chaos. When I woke up for real I had to try it, but no such luck :(
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah this was a bitch to me up until i was around 15 or so, and still happens to me when i'm getting sick / about to recover from sickness - even the common cold.

What worked for me was eating dinner closer to bed time / doing a 20 minute workout before bed. ended up too physically tired to dream, and digestive system at work is supposed to reduce amount / intensity / memory of dreams. Maybe i was simply convincing myself mentally that those methods helped, or maybe they actually did, but holy shit did i hate those dreams.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't know anything about it until know. Guess that's a good thing. :)
    Have had a Lucid dream once, nothing since then. But very interesting topic nonetheless.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Weirdest thing ever happened to me was sleepwalking awake. I was drifting in and out of sleep and would find my self doing shit I didn't plan to. Nothing special just getting up, walking around, ended up in the shower :P Aware of what I was doing but not able to control it. Freaky!
    Only happened once though, when I had a high fever. Sleepwalked a lot when I was younger though.
    Is it just a coincidence that so many in here have these "problems"? Any link between vivid dreams, imagination and creativity, perhaps?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    ivars wrote: »
    Is it just a coincidence that so many in here have these "problems"? Any link between vivid dreams, imagination and creativity, perhaps?

While I have abosultely no evidence to back this up, my guess is: Yes.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I say no. I just think its a very common thing that alot of people don´t know what it is. Hence all the goddamn ghost and alien-things. Trolls back in the day for us vikings and bigfoots for you americans. Sure your imagination takes a big roll when it actually happens but i find it very unlikely that it would be the trigger. rly!

Never happened to me and i stress about shit daily and cant sleep enough as it is (I almost have a phobia when it comes to sleeping). I should be having these every day. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm more scared of morning wood. That shit is dangerous. >_>