Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior from the tribe of the Picts

Max
Max
Ok, so I made the title more epic than it is but I was so tired of typing 'Pict Warrior' so I've made it more representing since everyone doesn't know what a Pict is. They lived in the time of the Roman colonization of the British Islands alongside Celts. They fought naked. Painted themselves blue (I think for nightcamouflage when raiding Roman camps) and covered their bodies with tatoos. They seized to excist when vikings came and chopped them up.
Anyway. Please let me know what you think.breakdown.jpg?t=1251463392flats.jpg?t=1251463373
Pict_render.jpg?t=1251463335

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    do you have the osprey for picts?
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    Harry wrote: »
    do you have the osprey for picts?

I saw it once. I thought the illustrations where quite ugly so I skipped it. But I should have bought for the sake of info. I would have liked Angus McBride to have illustrated it. Though that is quite impossible now isn't it. To answer the question. No. :(
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite running naked around all day the guy seems very clean, dirt him up a little. also, i'd like to see the eyes a little bit more worn out like add those red blood veins(?) thingies you get when you've slept too little or is very tired :P
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Is it me or the feet are a bit small ? Or maybe it's the point of view..
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel like bare feet might be more appropriate for this guy being all wild and kinda berzerk. i like the paint tho it falls nicely as if they just overpainted his hair and wherever it hit him it spread.

-Woog
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    HolyMonkey wrote: »
    Despite running naked around all day the guy seems very clean, dirt him up a little. also, i'd like to see the eyes a little bit more worn out like add those red blood veins(?) thingies you get when you've slept too little or is very tired :P

Mayhaps mayhaps. There's alot of things I'd like to redo on actually. Though I'd rather move on. I'm tired of this model.
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Is it me or the feet are a bit small ? Or maybe it's the point of view..
    You're right, they are a bit small.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    that handprint on his buttcheek made me lol.
    Agree with maxen and holymonkey on the possibility of how many things could be added like hair,dirt,wear and tear, some fungal/moss etc etc. As the tribe is advanced enough to have developed those shoe sacks, why not add accessories aswell.Kinda weird though, you'd think people advanced enough to make cloths would probably cover up their gonads first :) dont tell me you got lazy and didnt do the feet :P
    Maybe a spear/bags if he is a hunter/scavenger for the tribe and maybe some emblems or chains depending on how much a royalty this guy is.
    an entire facepaint kind of makes me feel as if you got too lazy to work on that diffuse :P maybe you should have had some face showing.
    Still its a great piece. Nice add to the FOLIO
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I think the pose could use some work.. He looks like he's just got out of a lake and is very cold or something, very stiff and frozen like.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    With that face, more like he just got a enema. Stance is parallel.

Sunburn and scratches from running would be the two things that I would expect to be on a naked man.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    Harry wrote: »
    Mcbride is a bit hit-and-miss for me, sometimes he does amazing stuff, but some of his illustrations feel very rigid and uninteresting. I might have the pict osprey around somewhere if you want jpegs from it.

Wow if you would, yes please, that would really be a favour!:D Thanks man!:D
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    fearian wrote: »
    I think the pose could use some work.. He looks like he's just got out of a lake and is very cold or something, very stiff and frozen like.

Hehehe that's funny, the first idea was him doing just that, in a pool of mud and dark water, I lost it on the way though, due to lack of time:( he was supposed to have slain a centurion too, and he was supposed to have a sword and a shield. But the school I'm at is keeping a VERY high phase so I never found the time:(
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    whats_true wrote: »
    With that face, more like he just got a enema. Stance is parallel.

Sunburn and scratches from running would be the two things that I would expect to be on a naked man.

You're absolutely right. Thanks
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    that handprint on his buttcheek made me lol.
    Agree with maxen and holymonkey on the possibility of how many things could be added like hair,dirt,wear and tear, some fungal/moss etc etc. As the tribe is advanced enough to have developed those shoe sacks, why not add accessories aswell.Kinda weird though, you'd think people advanced enough to make cloths would probably cover up their gonads first :) dont tell me you got lazy and didnt do the feet :P
    Maybe a spear/bags if he is a hunter/scavenger for the tribe and maybe some emblems or chains depending on how much a royalty this guy is.
    an entire facepaint kind of makes me feel as if you got too lazy to work on that diffuse :P maybe you should have had some face showing.
    Still its a great piece. Nice add to the FOLIO

I am Maxen and I made it!:D so I guess I'm pretty aware of the flaws;)
    I did NOT get too lazy for the feet nor the face diffuse, it was part of my concept. He is supposed too look as if he dipped his head in a bucket of blue paint and threw one braid over his shoulder. I haven't got time too get back too the arms rings and necklace he's supposed to wear. I used refernece for quite much of the model, they wore shoes cus they are more confortable to run in, quite naturally. They had clothes but took them off to show the romans their bravery.
    The paint and the shoes has nothing to do with lazyness it was part of the concept. I thought it would look cool with a facr totally covered in paint but the unpainted skin in his mouth for example would create a contrast.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Butt: Many "barbarian" tribes fought nude or close to it even though they had clothing and other textile creations, and other normal technologies of the day.

One reason, as Maxen points out, is to show bravery, another, very big reason, is to prevent cloth bits getting forced into the body should you take a hit from a blade that is non fatal. Seeing as they didn't have battlefield surgeons or anaesthetics at the time, infections and internal irritation/scarring due to embedded junk was a serious risk, and could kill you even if battle could not.