Home Technical Talk

Skin's mirror mode is being a jerk

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
So I'm trying to mirror the weighted half of the model to the other half, but the mirror mode is being an asshole. Added all the bones in the list, checked vertices, selected all of them, went to mirror mode and... pressed green to blue bones. No dice. Green to blue verts then. Nope. It won't transfer the weights. What do I do?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjust the the mirror plane, mirror offset and mirror threshold. If your mesh isn't symmetrical it really won't work that well. Sometimes the mirror plane is way off to one side, it should be in the center where you'll see little circles or boxes. When you get it in the right spot things should light up like a Christmas tree.

Also make sure you're mirroring in your bind pose if you've moved the rig away from where you bound the skin to the skeleton and are attempting to mirror the mirror plane could be way off. It attempts to reference the pose you first used but sometimes it does a bad job of guessing if its not back in the bind.

If its not the mirror plane, the offset is probably the problem, it defaults to 0.0. Try adjusting it up so it searches a little bit around each reference vert when it looks.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    did you try Mirror Paste? Because it took me ages to recognize this icon as something that does exactly what i needed :D
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    Adjust the the mirror plane, mirror offset and mirror threshold. If your mesh isn't symmetrical it really won't work that well. Sometimes the mirror plane is way off to one side, it should be in the center where you'll see little circles or boxes. When you get it in the right spot things should light up like a Christmas tree.

Also make sure you're mirroring in your bind pose if you've moved the rig away from where you bound the skin to the skeleton and are attempting to mirror the mirror plane could be way off. It attempts to reference the pose you first used but sometimes it does a bad job of guessing if its not back in the bind.

If its not the mirror plane, the offset is probably the problem, it defaults to 0.0. Try adjusting it up so it searches a little bit around each reference vert when it looks.

That's all fine, but still won't assign the weights properly.

Fuck it, just assigned everything manually. :poly117: