Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: zet

zet
zet
I modelled something this weekend and I don't really know where to put it nor what to do. So I decided to put it here.

I wanted to work out something which is on the one hand 3d and on the other looking like it has been drawn in a comic style. The outcome of the 3d scene is this here (no light source, just 100% ambient):
woodtest1.jpg

With ambient occlusion it gains a bit of depth
woodtest2.jpg

Any critique or comments are welcome.
Currently I am trying to figure out what is missing to put more objects into it (means more live ;)). For example, I am thinking about creating some cloths that provides some "shadow" or a workbench or a couple of ropes ... In my fantasy, this location is a general purpose storage, located on an air-floating city.

Replies

• zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    Experimented a bit and tried to create a human head. I would like to get a somewhat anime comic-style. The result looks like this.
    facetest.gif
    This size would be approximately the size of the head in the scene and also the same perspective. The hair is going to be also tough for me. No idea yet how to work it out...
  • zet
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the close up of the table.I think you've captured the illustrative style quite well here.
    Keep it up!
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    thanks for the feedback @pixelmitherer

I am crawling forward with snailspeed:
    chairdesk.jpg

Not much new texturewise...
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    maybe add more color variation instead of pure darkness, to make objects stand out a bit better.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like how its super dark and the important objs stand out with color/highlights.

very interesting so far
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    You may want to separate elements like the floor by toning back the saturation. Lower saturation will push elements back while higher brings them forward. Yes it looks illustrative both in a good way and bad. The bad being it looks pretty flat. Too much use of the same color and same levels of saturation. AO can be nice but I personally think it makes stuff look, well like AO ;) Don't use straight gray scale in your AO layer. Unless black is the look you are going for.
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    Thanks for the hints and all so far :)

The AO is really not so much of an improvement ... well it improves somehow but somehow not. Weird thing.

I tried now something different - first a directional light but without shadow to give the objects more shape... I think it looks a bit more interesting.

But also, I am trying to incorporate characters, however drawn ones instead of rendered ones. I still don't know how to make 3d characters looking the way I want them to look like. I tried this:

charinscenetest.png

I think it obviously goes now into the direction of having a character that can walk around and can do something. But there are a couple of technical issues, the most difficult one for me right now is: how can I animate this small character in a way that is good looking but also not too work intensive? I think I am going to try to split the body parts and create a bone system or something like that.
    Another problem is the hidden surface removal problem, but that's a problem that I know how to deal with...
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    After not having done anything in the past months that had anything to do with the stuff above, I am working on something entirely different right now.

I am struggling a lot with the lack of having a character. I need some kind of character portraits and I am totally clueless of how it should look like. It should be put into the black circle on the left of that image:

Attachment not found.

Besides that, I want to have some in between sequences and therefore am not happy with a single picture. I was trying out to do some comic / manga style, but I didn't get anywhere with that yet. A few days ago, a coworker showed me sculptris and I managed to do this character in a pretty short amount of time (imported into c4d):

Attachment not found.

However, I can't really do anything useful with it yet because it's too many vertices and fairly complex to texturize etc.
    I was thinking about using that model as a base object to make scene renders that I manually "comicify". But then again, the game I am working that out for is pretty 3d-ish, so it breaks a bit the feeling. So now I am trying out to create a model that fits that thing with a fairly low amount of triangles using subdivision:

Attachment not found.

That yields when rendered in this:

Attachment not found.

I am pretty happy with the result so far - I never succeeded to make any sculpture like that just using box cube modelling, at least not in that amount of time.

But I fear that this will require too much time to finish. I mean, I would now need to texture that object (having no experience with texturing human body parts, this'll be tough for me) and then figure out how to make hair and the other ugly details.

I have no idea what way to go or what to do :(

... and obviously no idea how to display attached images in the post.
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    Just tried out texturing....
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    Working on the helmet now (gonna redo the texture for the head though - was dumb UV mesh and model was unfinished)
  • zet
  • zet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zet
    d4.jpg
    trying to make a female character, tough for me to get proportions right. Any hints are welcome ;D