Home Technical Talk

Does CGFX work with MAX 9??

Azimuth
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Azimuth polycounter lvl 14
having a problem where it says 'nvcgfx.dlm' failed to initialize

...have a project due in a couple of days so any quick help would be really appreciated!!!

-Azimuth

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    try to run in software mode or GL mode,- there should be a shortcut in the autodesk start menu group that lets you switch the display renderer. Alternatively the exe most likely has to be run with a parameter so max knows that it needs to prompt the render switcher.

as to why,- no idea. Try install the latest updates booth for your GFX card and 3dsmax 9
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I had this same kind of problem getting max to run first time on vista x64, had to download .net framework and updates then patch max from autodesk hotfixes then ran it as administrator, dunno if that's what you were looking for?
  • Azimuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhhhhh this is driving me nutz....

I've installed Max 2010 and still the same problem. I've tried software mode, updated to the latest service packs, updated Nvidia drivers, update .NET ...still the same problems

...again any help would be greaty appreciated time is running out!!!

-Azimuth

---EDIT---

Actually its an old installer, I wonder if its the part where you have to specify where the bitmaps are in after you've told it what directory max is in - maybe thats causing it.

It says under configure Paths (doesn't specify whether its system or user paths), 'Add' to the Bitmaps/Photometrics tab

...blimey I'm stumped on this one
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    can you avoid using cgfx and use standard hlsl fx?

I looked at my install of 3dsmax2010 and that material plugin is not part of it. What you refer to must be some sort of weird special plugin? Ie a material in your scene causing this.
  • Azimuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the prompt reply CrazyButcher...

I need to use CGFX as I'm trying to make materials to use in motionbuilder and it only supports .cgfx *sigh*.

The plugin I'm refering to is this one...

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/IO_3dsmaxCgFXPlugin.html

-Azimuth
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    but the regular dx9 shader material of 3dsmax should be able to load .cgfx, no?
    that plugin is ancient
  • Azimuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh you were spot on, all a bit missleading on the NVIDIA site for someone new to shaders. Thanks man!

-Azimuth