Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo Elite (New Armor)

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    pra you can have many but you have to fill each subobject
    select your material, make sure mrgb is checked at top, then withyour subtool that you want to color active go to Color>fill object then change sub tools pick a new material color>fill object for it
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great thanks :)

I'll give it a go tomorrow

~P~
  • wup101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wup101 polycounter lvl 18
    Jensen,
    I was watching the video that you posted, how do you smooth out the clay tube brush strokes or the layer brush strokes that you have applied so quickly? I'm having hard time smoothing them out. And usually i have small bumps here and there.

Thanks
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jensen polycounter lvl 11
    @Rhinokey: Lol yeah dude as wet as a virgin on her wedding night! And damn I totally forgot poseable symmetry even existed! I love you for reminding me!

@Orgoth02: Brushes are dam standard, clay tubes, smooth, layer, flatten

@commandor: NP dude <3

@wup101: Np mang love you!

@beartraps: no problemo serote! Te amo mucho

@Wup101: I use the flatten and smooth brushes. if it's not working for you odds are you are too high in the subdivisions. Try going down a subdivision or two, smoothing it out there, then going back up!

Small update: It took almost all of yesterday, but I'm nearly done with the Max resurfacing of the torso armor. Some of the details i left out I think are left better to floating details, so I don't have to fight with the geometry!

Here is the max version:

max-torso-001.jpg

I want to add a few details that are hard to add in zbrush, so some shapes might change. My bad if you don't like :P

Here's a shot at the different between the sculpt and the max model. The max model is on the left, and the sculpt on the right:

max-vs-zbrush.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while it is sharper i question the work involved in order to get here, what would really be interesting to see is the difference between the quality of normal maps produced. i bet you wont be able to tell much difference and/or care at the final stage.

it really looks gorgeous though, i am only questioning this because i was slowly leaning toward this workflow myself.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think the results of the edge sharpness is going to be too noticeable in the bake, but the flat-face surfacing should look a lot different.

In the sculpt, flat areas are very wavy and clay like, while the re-topo mesh is clean, smooth and more metallic. I think that's the benefit of the re-topo, as that cleanliness would certainly transfer to the normal map better than the clay-ish sculpt.

Great work in both cases though.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @planaria: Hey dude. The max remake will be a huge payoff. It will look more crisp and complete. Also it gives me a chance to make changes I want to make that may be hard to make in zbrush. Booleans and stuff like that. Hope that helps.

@Vassago: You're right as rain! and thanks for the comment!

Here's an update showing some of the changes I was talking about. I'm slowly making progress:

max-torso-008.jpg
    max-torso-009.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Wickedly sick.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    shIT! that modeling is badASS
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i start to see your point now that your starting to add in the smaller mechanical niceness,
    the max viewport grab totally sold me :)
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    how are you rebuilding this in max? is there any special workflow or are you just retopoing it a poly at a time like normal?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    my morning coffee has official obliterated my keyboard... thanks.

can't wait for the next update... this retopo hard surfacing is going great man!
  • torontoanimator
    that armor is absolutely gorgeous and thank you so much for that tutorial! bravo :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmmm Terika I think he will just decide that all the retopo work was a dumb idea and just bake from the rough sculpt instead!

!Sarcasm!

Great work Jen! Very efficient. The design is getting a bit busy tho, but maybe you are following an eisting design very closely?
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    wow super effective retop...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    niiiiice. so what do you think about this sculpt to sub-d process? is it a pain or would you do it again?
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Whats_true: Thanks dude!

@konstruct: Thanks man! :PP much love!

@planaria: Haha I have converted you! :D

@praxedes: haha! Thanks dude!

@Ged: Hey dude yeah i'm doing it just like anybody would do it. Poly by poly. I am using polydraw from polyboost so I can draw directly onto the meshes i import from zbrush. Then just smooth out things a bit and make the flow work better. Pretty simple!

@Firebert: lol thanks dude! sorry about the keyboard :((((

@torontoanimator: thanks dude! and np glad to help everyone out :P

@teriyakistyle: Thanks dude! Yeah after I finish the hard surface changes in max I'm gonna bake from it.

@Pior: lol yeah maybe i'll do that instead :P. Thanks dude. Yeah I have a tendancy to get carried a way, so the hardest thing for me right now is to make sure i leave enough negative space for it to read well. I'm not following any existing design really, my mood board has everything from ceds and bulgarovs work to concept art from projects that I have no idea what they are. I'm just kinda winging it.

@coldkodiak: THanks dude!

@killing people: Thanks! Yeah I've got to say I really like it a lot. I mean it does take a bit longer, and honestly it's getting a bit tedious right now, but everytime I finish a body part it just looks so much better than the sculpt, and I feel good about it.

So yeah it's worth it!

Here's a small update. After I started posting this at various forums, I got a few freelance jobs, so I had to slow down a bit on this. I'm picking it back up though. I have most of the upper body done, and I am nearly done with the ass-armor. The legs are really all I have left. Well, and I haven't changed anything about the forearms and the hands. But that stuff is pretty fast so I'm not worried about it.

Also I'm toying with the idea of taking off the helmet. So i started a sculpt off the base mesh for the head. I know it doesn't look exactly like an elite. I want to change things, and make it look a bit more demonic. Like elites don't have a nose, but I want my dude to be able to smell, so.... Blargh enough talk. Here's the pics........:

elite-full-001.jpg

elite-full-002.jpg

elite-face-008.jpg

Heads still rough and there are no lower teeth and no smoothing out. ---_____---
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good, I think there are too many of those 3 rectangle patterns on there I think the surfaces would read better and be more attractive without so many of those.
  • Ibi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ibi
    now that you mention, those 3 stripe patterns do jump out a bit. Everything else looks amazing though!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having neverplayed Halo, that head was totally not what I expected from the proportions of the armour. Looking good though- but isn't it a little small? Or is that what the elites look like?

Can't fault that armour!

~P~
  • innervision961
    Really awesome work Jensen. :thumbup:
  • obeyurnapster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 9
  • wup101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wup101 polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking great! Keep it going!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    really pimp stuff jensen :)
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged: Thanks dude. You've definitely got a point about the rectangles. I'll delete some of them to break it up more.

@Ibi: Thanks dude!

@praxedes: Haha yeah the head does look a bit small. I think it may be mainly a function of the armor being significantly bigger than the armor in halo. Or more bulky, so it makes the head looks smaller.

@innervision961: Thanks dude! :P

@obeyurnapster: Thanks :D

@wup101: Thanks wup <3

@stoofoo: Haha will do

@soulstice: Thanks man!

Update: So I'm pretty close to done with the model. I may change the under armor, or tweak things here and there, but it won't be very different from what I have right now. I can't think straight to write anything super long, so I'll just post the images.....

Probably_Complete_Tank_Elite_by_MikeJensen.jpg

elite-complete-closeup-001-1.jpg

BLEH
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, i love how chunky he is.
    nice clean modelling too!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great job Jensen! I would love to see some off these bad ass elites running around halo in place of the brutes.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty impressive modeling man! this turned out real nice.

My only critique is there's almost too much ass kickerey going on.
    It would be nice to take some of the floaters off of the larger forms so the eye has some space to breath.

I imagine once this thing is textured and lit, I`ll be eating my words, but just something to take into consideration.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    must...stop...licking...monitor...

gorgeous work- can't wait to see the final textured model- that'll really pop the forms and rectify any "busyness" that the eye catches right now....mmmmmmmm

~P~
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    lovely, everything looks right placed.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    looking great dude! im curious, how are you going about resurfacing? do you import your sculpted mesh into your modeling app and use some snap to surface to create shapes?

how has this workflow been working for you? I have been debating trying this but for fear of it taking way too long i've put it off. You've certainly got some great results with it tho, cant wait to see more!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jensen: Nice work man, I'm a believer in your workflow now. :)

beartraps: He said earlier that he is using polyboost, which the main feature is the snap to surface of a highpoly. So yeah, regular sub-d modeling, but snapping verts to the exact coordinates on the sculpt.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @himadri_sm: Thanks dude :P

@MoP: Thanks MoP <3333333!

@nrek: Thanks man. I'd rather see them roughing up the brutes :P

@konstruct: Thanks dude! Yeah it's a bit busy. I just updated it and changed a few things around so hopefully that and the textures will ground it. I took off some of the floaters like you said, and changed all of the rectangle ones to a different floater.

@praxedes: hahahaha thanks man. Yeah and if not all i have to do is delete a few more floaters and rebake. :P

@Famouz: thanks man!

@beartraps: Hey dude thanks. Yeah I use polyboost, or polytools as it's called in max 2010. The polydraw tools snap to surfaces.

The workflow was certainly an experience. I have to say that at times the retopolgising just seemed extremely burdensome, but after about half way it got exponentially easier. Would I do it again? I definitely will. I admit does take a long time, but a lot of that time was just me not even working on the model :P

@BradMyers82: haha thanks dude! oy you beat me to the polyjuice punch!

Small update: Ok so this is probably definitely the final model. Be warned: The images after the first are VERY large:

Also, it may look a bit choppy cause there is only 1 smooth iteration applied to the model. For the bake I'll apply 3 iterations.
    Ok_Truely_Complete_Elite_by_MikeJensen.jpg

elite_large_screen_002_by_MikeJensen.jpg

elite_large_screen_004_by_MikeJensen.jpg

Elite_Large_001_by_MikeJensen.jpg

elite_large_screen_003_by_MikeJensen.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good times \o/
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    Kick-ass thread you got going here. The model really comes together in the end.
    And thanks for the insight into your workflow - very inspiring.

Now go bake that fecker :D

Great work!
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the best execution of hard surface sculpting I have ever seen.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really like this stuff, im a big halo fan, and its very nice to see a new take on their equipment, it might not be true to their style of
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I really wanna see your lowpoly. I really hope you're gonna try to keep it really low, just wanna see how the bake will translate to that.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    i give it an 11/10 on the awesome scale. great work so far. looking forward to the low poly :)
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rens: Thanks man! Digging your ODST sculpt too! \o/\o/

@Bokaja: Hey thanks man! NP on the workflow walkthrough. Haha working on the low poly now!

@Dr Stench: :P thanks man. Ced is definitely way better than me though!

@Spitfire: Thanks man! At this point i really don't want to make any proportional changes to the model. I know that when it's rigged and moving around that there will definitely be some collision problems, but I think they should be minor and I'm not going to worry about it too much. :P

@Xoliul: Hey dude! First off thanks for your viewport shaders :). I'm gonna try to keep the whole model withing the 10,000 range, but I honestly don't know what the final count will be. May be a few hundred more, but definitely won't be any less (I don't think).

@Brandoom: Haha you're too nice <3

Not an update, just a few clay renders:

pynion talked me into doing a few clay renders. So here they are. Nothing special, and the floaters will look a bit odd cause they aren't meant for this :)

clay_fixed_floaters_001_by_MikeJensen.jpg

clay_fixed_floaters_002_by_MikeJensen.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice to see it in clayrender, alot of ironman feeling with those glowing hands and cylinder chest piece. Cant wait to see this thing textured.

Would be awesome if you could post some making of on this thing, lots to learn from your techniques in this kind of style.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    If only Bungie had artists this talented... Maybe then they could make a human face that didnt look like clay.

Awesome job mate, its as if an Elite mated with the Crysis guy :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    odium wrote: »
    If only Bungie had artists this talented... Maybe then they could make a human face that didnt look like clay.

Awesome job mate, its as if an Elite mated with the Crysis guy :)

so true the odst faces were just horrible!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    the modeling transfer came out awesome man
    the more i look at this guy though, the more he kind of bugs me, and for the longest time i couldn't figure out what it was because when you first started, I LOVED IT... now with everything all added in, i figured it out... it feels way too busy... there's a lot of clashing elements going on and there's nowhere to really rest my eyes... the legs and the forearms especially... the chest area has a good balance, and the back could do with a little less, but if you are using floaters, then i would try doing a comparative render of less details and existing details. part of it too for me i think is there are a lot of overall shapes happening that make it busy in the legs, which is a little late for that now, but i really think this could benefit from stepping back and taking some pieces away and seeing if it makes a difference.
  • leibarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very great model . and I like the work flow .
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Can't wait to see how the lowpoly turns out, highpoly looks good! Interesting workflow too, great way to conceptualize before committing to the highpoly. Thanks for sharing!