Home General Discussion

Can I/Should I become an artist, with this personality at 23?

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Fuck it im just going to say that you havent got a chance in hell.

Less typing and if you actually want to do it you will ignore me anyway.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Jackablade wrote: »
    A technical minded artist is a rare and beautiful thing. You'll be able to stroll into those high paid technical artist jobs that the rest of us are too dumb to attempt.

Hah, that doesn't sound like what I experienced. I like to think I'm decent at art, and I know c++ with directx, hlsl and scripting yet still 90% of companies didn't even want me for an internship (they wouldn't even have had to pay me lol).
  • Yanta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yanta polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    /
    What's with the hostility? I never claimed I was intelligent or talented, or that I have ever achieved anything. If you had read the article that has been linked to on the previous page you would understand what I was talking about, and realize that intelligence or talent aren't nearly enough to be even remotely successful.

I know that I haven't achieved anything in life but thanks for bringing it up and making my day. :thumbup: You'd make a great counselor. Overblown ego? You don't even know me and you obviously lack the ability to infer psychological traits from forum posts and consider the possibility that people might be different from you. I have no desire to be respected by you, thanks.

As for having disdain for this profession, you need to lay off the drugs and come back with a clear mind to read what has actually been written.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Getting back to the original post, what brought you to the conclusion that this is the only career worth pursuing?

1. Is it a realistic goal to become an animator, level designer or something to that effect?

Yes, it's a realistic goal. The sooner you can pick an area of concentration, the better. With that said, you might want to get your feet wet in several competencies(animation, level design, environment modeling, texturing, etc) and see what you enjoy the most.

2. Can I be successful in this field as a person that is more of an analytical thinker rather than someone who goes by what feels best? Is this even relevant?

Sure. There are all types of people that are successful, in this field and being able to analyze is a great skill to have. It's also helpful to be able to have feelings guide you in some ways, so cultivating that is beneficial as well.

3. Are there any alternative options I could be missing?
    What kind of options? Different career possibilities?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yanta wrote: »
    ...For the purpose of this thread you can assume that I am incapable of feeling passion and I am fine with achieving whatever is possible without passion...

Then I'll have to say you won't make it far in this field, in fact you'll have a hell of a time just finding employment somewhere, or even reaching a state of submitting a portfolio to a company that stands a chance of even being considered.

It takes a ridiculous amount of training to get near good enough for entry level in this field. Not to mention there is a tremendous amount of competition for entry level positions.

Can you see yourself awake for 48 hours straight working on a bit of art to make sure it's the best it can be before a deadline? Then sleeping for 5-6 hours only to wake up and spend another 72 hours working on something else? Then can you see yourself doing that kind of thing over and over for weeks, months, years? If the answer is "that sounds insane" keep in mind, in this industry it happens, and more often then people will admit.

It's the passion for the work that keeps people going. Without that you might as well get a job with stable hours, decent pay, and save yourself the stress.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Can you see yourself awake for 48 hours straight working on a bit of art to make sure it's the best it can be before a deadline? Then sleeping for 5-6 hours only to wake up and spend another 72 hours working on something else? Then can you see yourself doing that kind of thing over and over for weeks, months, years? If the answer is "that sounds insane" keep in mind, in this industry it happens, and more often then people will admit.
    I like the point you're making about passion but more often that happens in the poorly managed shops. Places that have realistic goals, and functional staff don't crunch crazy hours all the time. It's good to be that devoted should the situation arise. But honestly if that happens more than a few weeks out of the year the place is probably going under. If they work their people that hard, its a mill and should be avoided.

Realistic deadlines and a sane amount of work are not unreasonable things to expect from an employer.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's a good point about poor management leading to such things, very true. Things like that don't seem to be as much of an issue these days as well, or at least I don't hear of things like that happening in the workplace as much anymore.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Good. Now you have passion. Start drawing.
    kungfumaster.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Yanta wrote: »
    What's with the hostility? I never claimed I was intelligent or talented, or that I have ever achieved anything. If you had read the article that has been linked to on the previous page you would understand what I was talking about, and realize that intelligence or talent aren't nearly enough to be even remotely successful.

I know that I haven't achieved anything in life but thanks for bringing it up and making my day. :thumbup: You'd make a great counselor. Overblown ego? You don't even know me and you obviously lack the ability to infer psychological traits from forum posts and consider the possibility that people might be different from you. I have no desire to be respected by you, thanks.

As for having disdain for this profession, you need to lay off the drugs and come back with a clear mind to read what has actually been written.

Yanta either prove him wrong and do something fantastic or go find another dream career that you dream about and never work towards.

Seriously dude the next post on these forums should be one asking for critique on something you did.