Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warzone Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Diwan polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, I'm currently working on a scene of a stronghold some middle eastern country that has been abandoned due to a tank busting through the walls.

wip09-2.jpg

Some 2D shots to give an idea of what I'm going for, very COD and Black Hawk down inspired scene.

Here is some of my progress so far, bake down walls:

wip15.jpg
wip16.jpg

wip17.jpg

On some areas the bake came out wierd, like on the second picture where it bends. These are all sculpted in zbrush and baked in Max, I could never manage to get good bakes from zbrush, probably cause I was working on a plane. Please feel free to critique and give pointer, really appreciated. Thansk for watching.

Replies

• AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Ohhhh, very nice. I'll keep an eye in this.

On the first wall you posted, why is it thinner in the middle? It also looks like it has some nasty smoothing errors?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good start dude, can't believe you're heading up a team and doing sr. proj at the same time. Some hints of the brick in the plaster might look kinda nice here and there.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks like the sculpt shrunk in the wash, remeber to expand the HP mesh a little to compensate for shrinkage.

and uv those edges, waste of a bake imo important to get these things correct befor doing a full bake, otherwise your just wasting precious time with imperfect renders
  • uneditablepoly
    Ohhhh, very nice. I'll keep an eye in this.

On the first wall you posted, why is it thinner in the middle? It also looks like it has some nasty smoothing errors?

I think the open area in the wall is set forward a bit if you look at it from the other side. Like ___----___

Could be wrong.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    AshleyTales: Thanks! Yeah as uneditablepoly just mentioned the wall is going forward in that section of the wall.
    Adam: <3
    crazyfingers: Thanks man, you gotta do what you gotta do right? And yes I will def, add on that.
    SHEPEIRO: Good point, I'm gonna try another bake in Xnormal to compare to the max bake.

Right now I'm redoing the broken parts of the wall, got some good crits that they break up in to many angles in the bricks.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Daaang, man! This is looking rad as hell!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Eric!

Here is some update, did some quick scene placement of the tank and other objects. Redid the broken parts of the wall so the bricks read more.

wip24.jpg

wip25.jpg

Any c&c is welcome. Thanks!
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice lens flare in the concept.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    :D!

Looks good, but the tank is huge.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    REKLAS wrote: »
    Nice lens flare in the concept.

Wow, way to not be an asshole on your first ever polycount post...

Anyway, blockout looks good Diwan. Off to a strong start.

I read that this is supposed to be a stronghold that was abandoned, but nothing in the concept suggests it was at one time a stronhold...

Consider adding some things to the environment that will tell a bit more story about who was here before the tnak busted thru the walls and what they were doing...

Crates with tactical maps laid out on them? A lantern nearby since they were probably squatters and didnt have electricity? Boxes of expelled ammunition, empty magazines or shells?

A few less barrels and maybe a small gasoline canister for easier portability? Abandoned walkie talkie?

Think about things you could add like that. IN the meantime it just looks like a mosque with a tank that ran into it.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Leviathan: Thanks, yeah youre probably right, its mostly a blockout for placement at the moment though.

Pope Adam: Thanks man! Awesome pointers, I like the tactical map idea! I'm going to throw on some tarpaulin over the oil barrels, sorta hiding them.

I made a quick ammo crate, getting some wierd shadows on the bake for the hinges, they are just planes at the moment, going to give them sides to see if it helps.

wip26.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice start my friend. Lookin pretty solid so far. I agree on the tank looking a little large but I like the idea behind it. I would be pretty pissed if a tank smashed into my place. lol. :)

Anyways good start and keep up the good work bud.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, I made an RPG 7 for my scene, finished the hi poly. Its my first attempt on a weapon so be nice on me! :)
    Here is my reference: http://www.motionpicturearmourer.com/rpg.jpg

wip27.jpg

wip28.jpg

wip29.jpg

I really wanted to make the holes in the handles where the screws are inserted but I couldnt find a good way to aproach it, I tried to bolean out the hole but it kept messing up the mesh once I smoothed it out.

wip30.jpg

Again thanks for watching!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you want to be an environment artist dont get bogged down making props
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice diwan - i reckon you skip the skylight next time... it makes it look totaly flat. especially against that background color you chose which is of the exact same value as the grey. If you made this image black and white the whole thing would disappear lol. Either way bsides the presentation

The rpg looks tight man. Accurate!

Shep says to not get bogged down making props - i disagree. I know what he's trying to say though. Ensure that you continue to concentrate on composition, lighting, arrangement etc. of the overall environment

but it's very fuckign important that you learn how to do all of the super important modeling tricks like you're pursuing right now.

I did the same process you're doing and I got a job as an environment artist before i even graduated from school.

But yeah, don't waste too much time on high poly stuff if it's going to interfere with your schedule of completing the scene on time and having it not only complete, but looking good!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you dont/shouldnt build environments around props, they should be placed in the environment as suits the environment, although its not a one way process there should be some back and forth, deffinatly start with the environment, then once done or at least well on its way think about propping it out.

too many environments fail becuase the artist get bogged down with prop making, look at the good finished environments on polycount and i would say that 75 percent do not include props, and the ones that do, will not have built there props first

just think of it like a sketch or a zbrush sculpt, BIG shapes first, get those correct (block it out, 1st pass lighting), then medium shapes(texture it, model it out, 2nd pass lighting), then the detail (tweaks,props placement and effects/postfx work)

end rant
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    completely agree with what shep said and to follow on from this not enough people are grey boxing their environments before they start their modelling phase. Gray boxing is essential for scale, composition and seeing where you actually need to spend time and effort on making props and such. I think, had you done a grey box you may have avoided some of the obvious issues in your composition.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    PopeAdam : Thanks man, yeah I find it hard to compose the scene, why I started making props to fill it out with. But yeah I'm prolly going to put it in UT from now and work on the lighting I guess.

SHEPIRO: So building environment first as in just blocking out the props and just finishing the scene? I'm not familiar to this kind of approach, as I've always been taught to model props and then populate a room with it. I guess the way you explain it does make sense after all.

frubes: I'm not quite sure what grey boxing means, I'm guessing it is just blocking in the scene with boxes to get a feel for what everything is going to be placed?

Thanks guys for the feedbacks, really appreciated, I'm going to adjust the scene right away.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, Shep speaks the truth. Make the room look nice when it's fairly empty, and it'll look even better with props. That way you establish what's most important to the environment first, and you can spend the rest of your time until whatever deadline you have on unnecessary but nifty decorations. If you do props first you might put crucial elements of the scene off until last and end up at the deadline with noticeably crappy looking textures on surfaces that take up more than half the screen space.

If you look at an environment scene as a meal, the main stuff that establishes the space (walls, floors, roof, windows, basic foliage, etc) are the main course and props are the dessert. You can have a great meal without any dessert at all, but the best ice cream in the world won't distract from a badly burned and overly salty main course.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    I whole-heartedly disagree. Awesome ice cream can cure the shitty-dinner blues without fail.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    you're hi poly modeling has gotten leaps and bounds better man. great job.

on the crate thing i would suggest making some more color variation. for example, make the two pieces of wood that go across the top be made of the same tree or something, just to have some consistency.

can't wait until you're done with prototyping so you can spend more time on this. i know you'll make it look great.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup Diwan, grey boxing is basically taking standard primitives, cubes, cylinders, spheres etc to represent more complex objects. for example cylinders for barrels, boxes for crates and buildings etc and constructing your scene from those as you want it to look in your final piece. You would pay particular attention to scale, level design if its applicable, prop placement maybe (although thats a little bit beyond grey boxing), composition and any other things which you can flesh out in the grey box just to see how they will work. Theres pretty much no detail in it though, no real modelling anyway.

It just really helps to see potential errors which may arise lateron in the modelling/playing process of your environment. It also lets you know where you need to spend time modelling and texturing, what the player will get close too.

The reason i suggested it was because you may well have seen, from the grey box, issues like the scale of the tank in comparison to the character, the placement of the barrels in the corner behind the pillar (would they really be there? do you want to get behind them?) and could you improve on the concept you are working from in terms of its compostion and visuals?

Anyway, the sculpting is really nice, hopefully you will be able to finish the piece to the same standard. Keep it up :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m1abrams.JPEG

scale's pretty close... i think the tank is just a wee bit large.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Wester: Thanks for the kind words man, I will def. dirty up the crates more.

frubes: Yeah I totally agree with you, infact thats pretty much what I learned from Marshalls composition workshop. Like Shep says to block out things first in larger scale and then get into details. Funny I never thought about applying that when it came to 3D scenes...pretty stupid hah. But yah, I'm not gonna do to much hi poly I guess and just execute the scene composition. Thanks!

Pope Adam: Yeah almost there! That picture reminds me of those good old days when I was cleaning the tank treads...my commander used to grab his knife and scratch it between the crevises and if he'd find dirt he would call a redo cleaning on the whole tank. Good old days...

Here is some updates, I brought most basic meshes into UT, and played with some lighting and mood. The sphere's are supposed to become middle eastern looking lanterns of some sort hanging from the roof ref: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1304/834181130_24b1aecbd1.jpg?v=0

I'm thinking of an either early morning shot, or a late afternoon dusk shot.

wip33.jpg

wip32.jpg

wip31.jpg

Any feedback, c&c is always welcome. Thanks all!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    those look like disco balls :D

what's the purple light coming from?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That window light on the floor a shadow or a light function?

Anyway, the middle eastern windows and arches are really sellin' this scene, keep it up, great stuff.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would open it up a tad more, it would be nice to get more sunlight in there, maybe crack the wall all the way up so that the light cuts into the scene, then maybe add some bounce lights
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, got a quick update on my RPG. Haven't been able to do much on the scene due to other projects going on. Hope you like this.

This is the Max render.
    2deeda73a2d504b007bd888ddccecc0f.jpg

This is the Marmoset, first time I'm tryint it, gotta say that it was way easier than I thought it would be.

fcb2fbc6f472acd64d21cb05ca568497.jpg

Got some good response on this one at GDC Austin so I'm kinda happy how it turned out :) Thanks for watching.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Said looking good. The metal on this is looking really really good, nice wear. But I think the rocket tube and wood could use some more grunge love. Seems like there should be some dirt in those crevasse on the rocket, to clean.

Also I think you should push the contrast of your spec more, make the worn areas brighter to catch those highlights and the overall metal darker with some more random noise in it.

Overall looking real night though.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Cool thanks for the feedback, appreciated.
    Main reason I didn't want to grunge up the rocket tube too much is because its a sensitive explosive and I would think that something like that would be much more protected from being beaten up.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like you could use a bolder color for the rocket itself. seems a little bland and washed out. that way the chipped paint can seem more apparent . . and you know. . rad.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Oh wow, never thought the actual rockets would be handled like that. Thanks!

ErichWK: ya ure right gonna fix that with the grunge!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Okey, so I figured I revive this thread again. Been taking a break from this project due to other school projects that unfortunately took much of my time and I couldn't focus on this as much. But I got back to it and I've done some major changes to the scene, the layout is different and the main focal point is not the abram tank any longer. It is more of a courtyard now but the theme is pretty much the same. Been working on this the past 8 weeks now and here is a couple wip shots.
    Changes that are coming up are new/better textures on the oil barrel, rocket launcher, P90, and changing up the dirt on the ground to make it a little sharper.

Thanks for watching, and any c&c is more than welcome! :)
    2.jpg
    shot6.jpg
    shot7.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great texture work, although, i'm not sure if something like that would stop at a tilt like that, i think most stone structures are either straight up, or completely destroyed. However, there are exceptions:

piza1.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know, it's a fountain, it could have pipes and supports that cross the main column that might be intact and holding the thing together.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this scene so far, nice and effective idea... the props are looking good ... nice job on the fountain, that is pretty impressive!
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    too many environments fail becuase the artist get bogged down with prop making, look at the good finished environments on polycount and i would say that 75 percent do not include props, and the ones that do, will not have built there props first

I been thinking this for a while.... looking at peoples work here. To build a prop early is to zone in and detail a painting in one area too quickly I guess.... maybe better to block in the whole scene, and build up iteratively? The bazooka will have little impact on the scene as a whole... and this is an environment at the end of the day, not a collection of props.

Keep at it!
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice Said!!! Looking really good. Like the new idea a lot better. Keep up the good work man.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. Yeah the reason why its tilting that way (atleast in the theory) is because of the metal tube that goes straight in the middle of the fountain. Here is a quick update on the new oil barrel textures. I made a google translate to Arabic on TEXACO and thats what I got lol.
    shot8.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great Said! Texture work is a huge improvement from the last time. The bending fountain dose look a little strange to me but everything else is looking really great.

Goodluck at GDC!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey it's looking really good, the texture work especially! I wouldn't print off super large images though because then it starts to become obvious that you duplicated objects, tiled textures, and reused alpha brushes in zbrush on the cracks.

At a normal viewing distance though you can't tell, and a normal viewing distance is what we'd have in game anyways.

What are you rendering this in btw? Probably too late, but if you can get it into a game engine I'd try.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High res shots are all well and good, but lets try to keep them below, say 2500 pixels wide please. 5000 and 7000 is just really excessive.

I've edited your post to simply link to the image, feel free to add sized-down images back to the thread, and also feel free to keep the links to the mega huge ones as well.

Also, from a purely visual standpoint, i agree that images this high res only make your work look worse, as you see every texture seam etc in massive detail. Its cool for print, but seeing it this huge on a computer monitor isnt doing you any favors.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    vcortis - hey thanks, these are all screen shots from UDK.
    EQ - Yeah sorry about that, first time posting a high res, wont happen again! Atleast that huge :P

I down res it below 2k wide now.

Finalshot00.jpg

Finalshot01.jpg

Thanks again for watching!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money dude, sure to turn some heads at GDC.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    dude, rly good job on the fountain! the textures are amazine! can wait to see it complete!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    wow indeed. This mini environment is awesome. Good luck at GDC and if I recognize the work I'l say HI, haha. See you there!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    When I saw this... I said outloud "oh shit" and then got really close to my monitor and studied it for a couple minutes.

This is really REALLY inspirational work man, fantastic job, I'm impressed at the quality level... something that will be in the back of my mind for a long time to come.

Good luck man, as said before, this will surely turn some heads at GDC.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    this is perhaps one of the biggest turnarounds i've seen from start of thread to finish. looks great- whats your lighting in udk like? i like those shadows