Home Technical Talk

Photoshop: Drawing workflow questions

I am making a wedding card and am caricaturing our group of friends using photoshop. At the moment I am drawing each of my friends on separate transparent layers using a 3pixel brush at 80% opacity (the document is 10000x10000).

Basically I am making clear line drawings and no soft strokes/sketches and was wondering how I could maybe transfer this detail into vector line drawings or if thats even possible? Also I would like the option of making the lines thicker/thinner/darker/lighter at a later point.

I'm only used to creating game textures and am wandering around in the dark a bit, basically how would you guys go about this project to maintain maximum control over the drawing? Should this be done in 'vector' like in illustrator? I don't know at this point if I want the final drawing looking 'vectorish' but I was wondering if theres options whereby you can 'smooth' out the lines ive drawn as some are a bit shaky and jagged.

Also for anyone living in the UK is there a nationwide shop/company I could print out my document/image onto a large piece of white card, probably a folded piece of A2? There probably is a place to do this in bolton but I don't even know what to look for, what kind of shop would provide this service?

Cheers.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the links i'll check the shop out hopefully they can print out my doc/image thanks :)
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Hey scourgewarper, make sure that your document is 300dpi minimum if you are printing the document/ pictures off. Don't re-size a lower dpi picture in a higher dpi picture it will make it fuzzy and crappy. Its better to start in 300dpi.
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    if you want to convert your drawings into vectors you could maybe try inkscape (its free) and trace your bitmaps using this method http://www.inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html
    like slingshot said make sure its 300dpi and you will probably need to convert your final image to CMYK
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah wasn't thinking about the dpi thanks for reminding me, the image is grayscale so probably don't need to change to CMYK - does it make a difference? I did a search and found a program called magic tracer but it's not free so will look into inkscape too.
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    I only done my first print job recently and had a few headaches, it's best to check with the printer their preferred file format. Usually a high res pdf will do, photoshop has a pdf preset.
    I worked in RGB mode as photoshop filters only work in RGB mode i think, then flattened the final image and converted to CMYK, not sure about graycale images.
    Never heard of magic tracer but inkscape is an excellent vector program and it's free after all.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    File Type:
    Use a .PNG file or .BMP file type both of these format's are uncompressed. PNG is the best bet. A .PDF might get you in trouble if you do not know how to do your settings right. Photoshops PDF presets makes me cry a little inside (Tweak the settings allot if you are going to use it)

CMYK vs RGB
    Depends on the printer you are using. Some older printers pint in CMYK, really nice new ones print in RGB. See your monitor sees things in RGB when you print it is usually converted into CMYK, thus the swearing and cursing when you print a document off and the colors are all whack, mostly reds and yellows get desaturated. If you do convert your color document to CMYK make sure you do color adjustments, because in the conversion from RGB to CMYK you WILL lose Bright Supersaturated colors. (this info could be outdated tho) :)

btw: Epson printers are The Best if you are buying one.

You should not need to convert to CMYK for Black & White tho. Just convert your document to black and white before you print though just for safety reasons, so you don't get any color artifacts if you accidentally used a tinted color of Grey and your eye could not detect it.